• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I will say this: I've wandered in and out of the State House many times and there hasn't seemed to be much security....which may be a good thing in many instances, open access and all, but we live in a world with weirdos.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    We need to keep the peasants out of the castle!

Which door do the lobbyists use?

From the article:

Gov. Mike Pence's Indiana Department of Administration wants the money because officials say they're worried about security issues regarding six doors that let government employees enter and exit the statehouse. Officials are concerned that the doors allow multiple people to enter the building if an employee, reporter, legislator, lobbyist or contractor unlocks one of them with his or her badge and holds it open for others as a courtesy.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, we have an election coming up. And there are folks that will not miss any opportunity to make mountains out of mole hills when it comes to anything the current administration does. God forbid somebody manages to get inside and goes on a shooting rampage--the democrats would be incensed that we didn't do everything possible to save just one life. (And yes, if a democrat were in office now, the republicans seeking to unseat him/her would likely be doing the same thing).

This is politics, boys.

Last edited:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I have some expertise in these matters. That number does seem high at first glace, but without a site inspection it is difficult to determine the construction requirements to facilitate the suggested changes. These turnstiles aren't subway turnstiles you can hop over. They are referring to access control turnstiles where each swipe of a badge allows a person to gain entry into (or out of) a facility via entering what is essentially a personal sized cage that pivots to facilitate access. These turnstiles can EASILY run into $20,000-25,000 each. A entry and exit turnstile, which would allow egress in both directions simultaneously at 6 entry points would bring materials just for the turnstiles into the range of $300,000. That is before they are even unpacked out of the box. Heavier trafficked entry points may require more then one entry and one exit turnstile. Then the before mentioned construction requirements to direction traffic into these turnstiles while preventing circumventing the established entry points, installation of the turnstiles and the access control system to facilitate the entry/exit, alarming all emergency exit points so they aren't used for unauthorized entry or exit, cctv system to monitor tampering and disturbances, etc. The exit turnstiles would have to be wired into fire alarm panels to allow free egress in the event of a fire. You'd still have emergency fire exits people could use, but humans are creatures of habit.. half of them would walk right past an emergency exit they pass hundreds of times a day and go to the door they are familiar with/use primarily. Then you factor in the difficulty of doing business with a government entity.. regulatory, insurance, labor issues, payment delays (this is a real issue)... this is why virtually every contractor that does government work pads their estimates. Because dealing with them is a total pain in the ass. $800k? Doesn't seem outside the realm of reasonable to me. I work within a large group tasked with the security of US military installations. I doubt we could provide what it is they are seeking and come in under that figure. FWIW..

Last edited:

Peter Potamus

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Why post this agenda-driven nonsense? Pence has nothing to do with doors at the statehouse. This crap is manufactured and spewed by liberals and spread by people like you. It is garbage.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, we have an election coming up. And there are folks that will not miss any opportunity to make mountains out of mole hills when it comes to anything the current administration does. God forbid somebody manages to get inside and goes on a shooting rampage--the democrats would be incensed that we didn't do everything possible to save just one life. (And yes, if a democrat were in office now, the republicans seeking to unseat him/her would likely be doing the same thing).

This is politics, boys.

It's the world we live in now. I imagine when they installed the badge system it was a sign of those times.

Top Bottom