Want a new rifle... need an opinion or two...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    So, I'm thinking about adding to my slowly growing arsenal. I'd like a rifle to hunt with. (Not in IN obviously...) I've already got my Model 88 in .308 but i'd like to retire it. I was considering the rifle linked here...Ruger American Rifle® Bolt-Action Rifle Models

I'm stuck deciding between the .243 and .270... can anyone give me some pros/cons of each? The target of choice will probably be the PA hybrid whitetail/mule deer... well, that and paper backed with wood...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Of those two, if I was including possible mule deer, I would go with the .270. It has a little more oomph.

gstanley102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    Delphi
    Fyi

Around Lafayette during the height of the ammo shortage, when shelves were bare,
    there were two calibers still available, .270 and 30-06.

My next long gun will be one of these.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    if those were my two choices, .270 would be a no brainer. Not sure if there are are many places to hunt in PA that would take advantage of the marginally flatter shooting .243.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Although the 243 has taken it's fair share of medium and big game, the 270 is a better choice for most hunting applications. The most common loadings for the 243 are 55gr up to 100 grain bullets. The smaller 55gr is great for low recoil target shooting and varmint blasting. The 100gr is plenty for medium sized deer...... A fun caliber to shoot.
    The 270 is loaded most often from the factories with 130gr to 150gr bullets. Low-recoil Remingtons (115gr) and Hornadys (120gr) are also made....good for shooting smaller stuff. While a 243Win is pleasant to shoot, a 270Win will get your attention after an afternoon of shooting targets from the bench. If you hand-load your own,you can taylor make what you want. If you can find any bullets, or any powder, or any primers...........

I have a rifle in 243 and 270 and enjoy them both.:):)

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I noted this too, and a lonely box of .25-'06 or two.

I wonder if that was a Lafayette only thing?
    No, I travel all over the state, and once in a while up to Michigan, stopping at most of the gun stores I find. .270 was by far the most popular (or least popular?) cartridge I saw.

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    I would go with a 35 rem, 358 win, 45-70, or 450 marlin if you reload. Then you could hunt out of state with full length cases, and in state with cases shortened to 1.8". If you don't reload I would recommend something Ind. legal like a Ruger #1 in 460 S&W.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    The Mossberg 4X4 looks like a very nice choice. If you get a chance to handle it and the Ruger American Rifle side by side, that may tell you which one is right for you. It really is a very personal thing when you choose a rifle or a handgun.

TheDoaner

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    Southern IN
    I vote for the .270 and that Ruger American is about as good of a rifle for around $400 that I've ever seen. I've sold a bunch of them and have yet to see one come back for a repair.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I had a Model 88 for years, and still use a Model 100 in .308 at times. I got a Ruger GSR in .308 and love it. It is an outstanding shooter and smooth as silk to work the Bolt with the ten shot mag.

For a larger caliber I got a Ruger Model 77 Mark II in .338 Win Mag. I am going to get a Bison this winter, and it will be my first choice for that task.

bobertathan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    I would stick with the Ruger American. The bolt works better with a scope as the bolt handle does not travel up as high. My choice would be for the 270 between the two though as the 270 is more popular of a round. The ammo shortage is slowly coming to a halt and when a SHTF situation comes around I rather have a weapon that I can easily get ammo for from other law abiding citizens.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    Ruger in .270 Winchester over the .243. Look at the ballistics on the .270 and it is very close to the 7mm Rem Mag. If you enjoy reading Chuck Hawks' website like I do, he loves the .270. It's good for anything in North America except for the great bears. With less recoil and better ballisitcs than the 30-06 you can't go wrong.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If your decided on the ruger this might not be helpful, but based on longer shots for deer (in upstate NY where I grew up) I would +1 the 7mm-08 or 7mm mag. I only have personal experience with the 7mm-08 but the mag is similar. Good trajectory with good knockdown power if you place it. Not sure the ruger is chambered in either,though.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Went to Blythe's Griffith on Friday. They didn't have the 4x4 in stock so I couldn't compare it, but they had a number of the Rugers.. The Ruger is REALLY light.. the free-floating barrel wiggles easily in the stock.. It didn't really feel like I was holding anything substantial... I guess I'll save my money and move up to a 700 or something like it.

Top Bottom