Want a new gas grill.. Are webers worth the extra $$ for low end models???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    It depends on what you want. Instant, no brain heat and no flavor = gas. Heat with some work and extra flavor = charcoal.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Instant, no brain heat.

ETA: this is why I prefer a Traeger because you get the best of everything. No brain heat, you just plug it in and set your temp, but you still get the flavor of cooking with wood. Don't get me wrong, there are better things out there than Traeger, but they come with more work so I'm happy with the almost perfect with no work.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Charcoal, light your fire, (please don't use lighter fluid or your food will taste like it) spread your coals, watch for hot spots, monitor your fuel usage, etc...

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So what kind of work do you have to do for charcoal heat?

Chimney FTW. Light it, wait 15 minutes, and dump it in.

409501375.jpg

I like the little Weber cubes to light it, but a sheet of newspaper wadded if works just as well.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Off topic, but are gas grills better than charcoal?

Yes and no...

Charcoal has that special smokey flavor
    Gas has food flavor

Charcoal takes 15-20 to get going
    Gas can be done cooking in 15-20 min

Charcoal is messy
    Gas is clean

Even a cheap Charcoal can have very intense heat
    Gas grills costs more the hotter you want to cook

Charcoal has to be kept dry
    Gas has to be kept full, or pay for the hookup

Charcoal can use wood chips to smoke right out of the box
    Gas requires special boxes to smoke with wood chips

Charcoal requires more skill
    Gas is easy and forgiving

Simple answer, have both.

Last edited:

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I bought a genesis three burner with the controls on the right and side burner on the left. I was a floor model that was put together and natural gas. I was on sale and I even talked them into a cover at no charge. This is the best grill I have ever owned. It has the same heat on on all areas of the grill. Every other grill had hot spots and having to rotate the food on the grill was a pain. I opted for the SS version and don't have an issue keeping mine looking good.

You will never be sorry buying a weber.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am cooking chicken on a 10 year old Weber charcoal kettle. I don't do pro pain unless I am at the kitchen stove.

the pro pain tanks are a pain and run out where as a good old coal fired grill is all I have every used. Sure I might get only another 5 years out of this one. They are good grills I got the portable version also. I can cook quite a bit of meat at a time on it.

Not if you are smart. Always keep a full spare on standby. Out of gas? No biggie, run across the yard to the minibarn and swap. You are back in bidness in only 2 mins.

Off topic, but are gas grills better than charcoal?

Depends. What features do you want? Sure, you dont get the flavor from (most) gas grills, but they are TONS easier to use. I can easily walk in the front door after work, set my bag and keys down, start the grill and be cooking in under 5-10 minutes. Great for on the fly grilling with minimal prep.

Charcoal? Not so much. Sure it makes AWESOME (as opposed to really good) tasting food, but its dirty, takes a while for the coals to get to temperature, and is harder to regulate heat without a fully adjustable coal shelf.

I like that I can usually make up the flavor difference in my gas grill with a foil pouch of my favorite hardwood chips, and if I want to switch to indirect heat, I turn a knob. no fiddling around with moving hot coals and stirring up ash that gets on the food as I do so.

Personally I would love BOTH types or one of the double box grills: Charcoal for the weekends, Gas for the other times. Alas I have more important things to throw my money at.

Oh, and I wouldnt give up my side burner. Its AWESOME for when I want to fry fish without stinking up the house for two days.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    This isn't supposed to be a gas vs coal grill thread but I prefer gas.. Which is why I started this thread.. I don't have the time to cook over coal or patience.. It's either gas grill or a smoker... Slow and low give me a smoker over coal grill. I know everyone has their preferences but I need something to cook on quickly 4-5 days a week for 5-6 months...

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    This is good information. Two summers ago I bought a Kenmore Stainless. Four main burners, side burner, cast grates, I thought it would be nice, was not cheap. Things started failing right away, and IF you can get through to sears for a spare part, it seems it is on backorder anyway. Now there is fire coming out of one of the knobs when you try to light the burner. After spending long periods of time trying to get through to customer service, they do not seem to be able to offer any help. Bad quality, poor service. That is the last Kenmore appliance of any kind I will purchase. From the above tips, It looks like the "extra" to buy a WEBER will be the cheaper puchase in very few years.

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I have had the two burner Spirit for about four years now and I love it. It was at the top of my budget, so I didn't go for three burners. I did six burgers and a steak last weekend and had a bit more room, but for 8-10 people I think the three burner would be better. I have really only grilled on it and tried ribs once or twice.

The even temperature of the grilling surface is what makes the Weber better in my book. Not hot spots or cold spots you have to rotate the food through. And this thing seems like it is built like a tank.

My my electric starter went out the first year, Weber replaced it, and that one went out. I haven't bothered with replacing it again; i just keep one of those long lighters around.

Some me wasps started building a nest on the upper level... Closed the kid, lit it, and they flew right out. I hate those damn things.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have used gas in the past and if you are pressed for time as many are they as great. My wife used one till it rusted to much and she loved the thing for ease of use. I always used the kettle because I am a creature of habit and have always had a weber kettle.

To to me lighting up the coals knowing how the adjust the airflow and learning how to cook a perfect 3/4 to one inch thick steak was presented to me with the instructions to the weber kettle. Sure it takes 15 minutes longer and time is money for some. One thing I forget on the gassers is to shut the darn thing off.

Coals are like Neil young better to burn out than fade away.

Top Bottom