• ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have the severe hankering for a .22 magnum handgun. Since PMRs cost more than ARs now, I am probably looking at a revolver. Smith 48s are out of reach and i still have a hard time buying Taurus/Rossi revolvers.

I am now looking at the new Ruger Single Nine. Stainless, 6.5" barrel with nice adjustable sights and a 9 shot cylinder. MSRP is $639 but street price is around $500. http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelSingleSixSingleNine/models.html

I am not much of a single action shooter but this could be a fun plinking/small game revolver. Anyone handled one yet?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I wondered about the hammer cocking. I have a 10 shot S&W so I know what that strangeness is like. The main thing I like about it is the 6.5" barrel and the fiber optic sights. The extra .22lr cylinder would be nice but I am not sure if the front sight is swappable.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    So besides the Ruger single actions, anyone recommend a .22 mag they have experience with? This will be a pure target / range toy, with occasional woods carry. I saw a Rossi(?) with a 4"-5" barrel at a local store for $325. :dunno:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Some of the videos of the cowboy action shooting a single action pistol look quicker than a double action pistol and hitting their target.

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    I have a Taurus Tracker 22mag 6.5 barrel thats a tack driver with Hornady ballistic tips.They used to be cheap and plentiful not to long ago but now there is usually only a han ful on GB and they have went up quite a bit.If you really like the PMR buy the Rossi and grab a couple of PMR magazines.The gun will be back and closer to $400 after this madness but it will probably be the PMR-10? I have bought a few mags for guns I don't even own yet,if I never get the gun I can always pass them along to someone that does.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have a S&W 648 6" that is a very nice revolver. I don't shoot it much but when I do it's a pleasure. I think I'd go with the Single Six Convertible model over the Single Nine. Just a lot more versatility there and lower price and easier to sell later. Or you could look for an AMT AutoMag in 22 magnum. Those are pretty pricey anymore though... ;)

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I have a S&W 648 6" that is a very nice revolver. I don't shoot it much but when I do it's a pleasure. I think I'd go with the Single Six Convertible model over the Single Nine. Just a lot more versatility there and lower price and easier to sell later. Or you could look for an AMT AutoMag in 22 magnum. Those are pretty pricey anymore though... ;)

Colt556 only posts in my threads to make me jealous. I agree on the Single 6 vs 9 now. A double action revolver would be ideal though. I actually have had one or two AMT's in the past and they functioned very well. Don't know why I got rid of them but oh well. I thought about a new Taurus 992, that is their new Tracker model with two cylinders, but for $100-150 more I could have a S&W.

So unless I find a stupid cheap rossi or taurus, I will hold out for a shooter grade 6" S&W 48 or 648. Should be able to find one for reasonable ($600 on armslist now). Extra cylinder would be great but that makes it over a $grand$ usually.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Lol... Snorko only post things in the Classifieds I want because we live to far apart! I have the 648 6" and then a Mod 17 6" to go with it. I had an early Mod 48 years ago and let it slip away from me. The 48 and 648 are both starting to gain a little collector interest and the prices are going up. Mine is pretty nice with original target grips and box. I miss the Single six too though. They are pretty decent guns and you should be able to find a nice stainless model used for a decent price.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Yup... the rimfires are getting hot anymore. I picked up a NIB Nickle 34 4" a month ago or so. Very nice collectable 22 revolver. Got a nickle 25-5 at the same time.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    It really irks me that Ruger decided to make a 9 shot WMR and a 10 shot LR. No joy with interchangeable cylinders. :(

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My 648 Smith 6" was flawless and quite accurate.
    Price is high nowadays, but after shooting that thing, I wouldn't get anything else.
    And yeah, my first handgun was a 3 screw .22 mag. Nice gun, but definitely not a Smith.
    With groundhog hunting tough (not enough critters where I used to go) I sold my "backup rig" (the 648, my primary was a .243 Rem 700).

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It really irks me that Ruger decided to make a 9 shot WMR and a 10 shot LR. No joy with interchangeable cylinders. :(

Maybe the higher cap versions have more specific bores?
    I tried a variety of .22 LR in a few dual cylinder Ruger SA's and always the .22 mags shot better. Some LR's did OK, but never anything super.

Top Bottom