• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    I shot a Walther P22 today - it was a lot of fun. My gf shot it too, she liked it.

For anyone who owns one, has owned one, or has a lot of experience with it, I was wondering if you had anything bad to say about it. Shes thinking of getting one and there are plenty of good things to read about it...but its a good idea to look for some negatives before buying something, if you ask me.

billpoobah

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I bought a P22 back in December and enjoy shooting it. I have not had any problems with it so far. I bought a laser site to go with it... Actually, I bought two sites due to an idiot move on ebay, haha. So if anyone is looking for a laser site send me a PM...

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They tend to be finicky on ammo. Mine works with anything I feed it, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. Even being picky about what it will shoot, it's still worth buying. They're fun to shoot, and being factory-threaded means my suppressor fits on it just fine. :D

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    They tend to be finicky on ammo. Mine works with anything I feed it, but I think that's the exception rather than the rule. Even being picky about what it will shoot, it's still worth buying. They're fun to shoot, and being factory-threaded means my suppressor fits on it just fine. :D

Break it in on CCI Mini Mags after about 500 rds or so it will shoot anything!!!

I did a little work to mine and wouldn't trade it for the world now.

Go find the Bible I had a link but can find it right now I am in my laptop.

Next step..... Suppressor!!!:rockwoot:

sianbrimons

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Elkhart
    i was looking at these a while back, then a few weeks ago i put 2 mags through my buddy's p22, i'm not sure if it was due to a lack of cleaning on his part, on factory mags it jambed about 6 rounds, needless to say i wasn't impressed. if memory serves me it was winchester ammo out of the 500 round value box...

i'd like to believe it was the lack of his cleaning, because other than it jambing, it felt nice...

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I've had mine over a year and I have nothing but good things to say about it. I talked a co-worker into buying one for himself a couple of months ago.

I guess if I had to come up with one downside it would be finding extra magazines for it. I've had no luck so far on finding any deals.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Awesome link!

Yeah...you think that until you get a punch-kit for Christmas... Then print this document off around the same time...

And before you know it, your P-22 has been detail stripped to the point of no return. Leaving you the option of either A) sending it back to S&W to be repaired, at your dime, or B) taking it to IndyGunWorks to have it repaired.

Ask me how I know.

:D

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Break it in on CCI Mini Mags after about 500 rds or so it will shoot anything!!!

I did a little work to mine and wouldn't trade it for the world now.

Go find the Bible I had a link but can find it right now I am in my laptop.

Next step..... Suppressor!!!:rockwoot:
    :yesway:

My experience mirrors this. After the first 500 rounds, it shoots anything now. It's a fun gun to shoot and one of my favorite to take to the range.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i have had mine for several years now and i am very happy with it. i shoot it more than any of my other guns because of the cheap ammo which is the reason i bought it. as long as i stick with the good ammo it is great.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    I have shot more than one P22, including one with a can. I was not all that impressed with trigger or accuracy. The one I shot with a can had terrible accuracy.

I shot a Sig mosquito once. The trigger was LOOOOOONG but serviceable and the gun was pretty accurate.

Note that both gun were reliable and easy to handle.

I have also fired all sorts of single action only .22 pistols - Mark II/III, 22/45, S&W 22A and 41 and the Buckmark. I have also extensive trigger time on the S&W 617 revolver. For the record, I own a Buckmark

Anyway, I have much experience with .22 pistols, so you would think I could give a good opinion on your question. However, you really did not say what you want to use the gun for.

If you want something really accurate with a good trigger, the P22 is not a good choice. If you are looking for something that will at least partially simulate a carry gun, is reasonably priced and is fun to shoot, then the P22 is a fine choice.

However, for my money, I would choose one of the reasonably priced single action .22 pistol, like a buckmark, Mark III, Neos, etc. For the same or similar money, you can get a much better trigger, usually better sights and more accuracy.

If I were looking for more of a fun range gun, I would probably buy a S&W 317 revolver (the high viz model specifically). Because, lets face it, revolvers are all old-school and cool.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    ....If you are looking for something that will at least partially simulate a carry gun, is reasonably priced and is fun to shoot, then the P22 is a fine choice.

I sould point out that I do not actually reccomend usuing a gun like a P22 to "simulate" a carry gun. If I wanted to simulate my carry gun and still save money by shooting .22, I would buy a conversion kit for my Glock and practice with same trigger I will carry already.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    I like mine

I bought the one with both barrels and the slide extension and enjoy it a great deal. The only negative thing I can say is that the factory wrench for the barrel nut is just stamped sheet metal and will bend out of true and need replacement. A 10mm bicycle wrench is a quality replacement. Also there is a replacement magazine follower you can get which allows you to load 12 rounds instead of 10, but then the slide doesn't lock open after the last shot.:draw:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Personally, I like the Walther looks for their pistols and the ones I have shot have been very smooth and easy to shoot. However, I don't like the magazine releases. I don't want to have a mag release that is different that 90% of the other pistols I own or shoot. Maybe there is a reason that forces them to use this style release that I don't know about, but I don't care for it...My :twocents:

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Personally, I like the Walther looks for their pistols and the ones I have shot have been very smooth and easy to shoot. However, I don't like the magazine releases. I don't want to have a mag release that is different that 90% of the other pistols I own or shoot. Maybe there is a reason that forces them to use this style release that I don't know about, but I don't care for it...My :twocents:

I felt the same way about the mag release.

Top Bottom