• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LDisAwesome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    I'm looking to get a nice .22lr semi auto for plinking around and these two seem to be the ones that look most like a real gun (I'm referring to the Beretta Neos that look like some kind of nerf gun and the S&W model 22 which to me look more like an air gun). I've heard these can be picky with ammo but for $6.50 for 500 rds I have no problem putting only CCI mini mags through them. Any advice/suggestions from actual experience would be great.

Thanks​

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Some folks have terrible luck with the P22...

I'm now on my 2nd one. Sold the first...

Both of them have run VERY well...and only get a little picky when they're filthy. I use mine as a suppressor host...fun.

My brother in law has a Mosquito for his kids to plink with... It's a hefty little pistol with a trigger worse than the DA trigger on the P22. Accurate enough for what it is. I THINK that mags are expensive...just like most Sig products.

I also have a Mk II Ruger 22/45 + PacLite upper to use with my suppressor, too. The Ruger pistols are FANTASTIC.

As are the Browning Buckmarks...which I don't have any experience with.

If you're looking for a .22 plinker soley because it looks like a "real" pistol, then I suggest the P22...Or perhaps even a conversion kit for a Glock, Beretta 92 (Think they exist?), or 1911 style.

-J-

KingWeb50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    I have a mosquito and the stock trigger does suck but I sent it to Bill Springfield at triggerwork.net and it is 100 times better. I like the mosquito better because it is a larger pistol compared to the p22.

LDisAwesome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    The only problem I have with the ruger and the brownings are the barrels. I've never enjoyed that style. And what's the point in buying a gun which you don't truly enjoy looking at it. I would absolutely love to someday be able to afford to get either a Berreta 92fs and a .22lr conversion kit for it or a Sig Sauer with a conversion kit but total cost is just too much for my first gun. I did just notice that Sig has some of their guns offered in a "classic .22" (the p220, p226, p229). Anybody heard or seen any of these. They are more expensive than a mosquito but may be worth it.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    I bought a Walther P22, dad shot it then he bought one. Wife shot it and now she has one. I'm gonna have to go on their payroll soon. Very fun gun

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I own a Mosquito and a P-22 and 2 of the S & W A-1s and to tell you the truth have put a bunch of rounds through all of them. Have even taken them to a couple of shoots with the 4H shooting sports club! If I had to pick only one it would be a toss up between the P22 mand the Mosquito but I like the Mosquito a little more then the other 2~

IUalum

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I have owned both and sold the P22 and kept the mosquito. It runs great with mini-mags and for me makes a perfect host for my suppressor. I also have a buckmark which I use for target shooting and highly prefer it over the Ruger for feel and ease of takedown.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I had a P22 with at least 5000 rounds through it. It fed cheap ammo much better after it'd been fed enough of the Mini Mags and Stingers. I now regret selling it.

apovinelli

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    Indy
    w2ne2o.jpg
    The sig was the first gun I purchased a couple years ago. I really like the gun. It shoots nice, it feels nice and it looks nice. I have 2 problems with it... The slide does not lock back very well, and I have had it jam on me. I blaim the jam on crappy ammo though. It does not jam until after I shoot over 100 rds of crappy ammo. It has a tack rail and I put a light on mine just for fun. Are you interested in buying a used one?

Last edited:

LDisAwesome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    I may be interested in buying a used one depending on price and what not. This is going to be just my first handgun to start off the hobby. My ultimate goal is to have the money to blow on either a Sig Sauer P226 with a .22lr conversion kit of a Beretta 92fs with a .22lr conversion kit. The reason for the conversion kits is that even buying CCI mini mags at $6.50 for 100 rds it is still pretty cheap to have a fun time at the range or in the back yard (live in the country with lots of acres)

LDisAwesome

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2010
    apovinelli, i may be interested in buying yours if you are selling if it is indeed the one in the picture. I really like the look of the reverse-tone

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The only problem I have with the ruger and the brownings are the barrels. I've never enjoyed that style. And what's the point in buying a gun which you don't truly enjoy looking at it. I would absolutely love to someday be able to afford to get either a Berreta 92fs and a .22lr conversion kit for it or a Sig Sauer with a conversion kit but total cost is just too much for my first gun. I did just notice that Sig has some of their guns offered in a "classic .22" (the p220, p226, p229). Anybody heard or seen any of these. They are more expensive than a mosquito but may be worth it.

Ok, but consider this. Look at how many people have had problems with the two listed guns. How many people do you see comment, on troubles with a Ruger, or Browning? To me yes looks are important, however functionality to me is the most important. I have ran everything from sub-sonics, to bulk, to cci's trough my Browning. I have not found a ammo it does not like. Not to mention I have not had one single malfunction. Have you taken a look at the new Browning's. It may tickle your fancy.

Buck Mark Contour 5.5 URX, , Browning Firearms Productjavascript:;

Teach

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have shot both the P22 and Mosquito. After shooting them both, I bought the Mosquito. Personally, I like the fact that it feels a little better in my hands due to its larger size. However, I will say that they are both very nice guns. For me, I also liked the Mosquito for the accessory rail. I know it's not much gun, but if my wife can put ten rounds quickly into a BG, he will at least think hard about advancing. Therefore, the rail gave it an advantage over the Browning. Good luck and have fun shopping!!

Top Bottom