• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I understand the law requiring a person to be over 21 to purchase handgun ammo. The silly thing is they had already asked for I.D. before they asked if it was for a handgun.

Its also kinda funny that I've never provided I.D. to any Walmart for an ammo purchase.

Jubba

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    WAL-MART
    The register prompts to ask if it is for a handgun for all calibers that are commonly used in handguns due to the age requirements, then asks for dob. Some cashiers just press enter and bypass the whole thing, some do it correctly and ask.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    That's odd. I've bought ammo at different Walmarts countless times. I've never been asked. :dunno:

Maybe I just look too :fogey::oldwise:
    ^^^^ THIS ^^^^^ I "know" all three, of the guys, I buy, from at my local Wal Mart, Greenfield, I think, they just push a button, and the question, is answered...

IndyPrepper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2011
    Suprtek - I was just at BG Walmart a couple weeks back picked up 9mm. I was never asked ( nor have I ever been asked ) about if it was for a handgun.

P.S - I'm in the township too, nice to meet you !

IndyPrepper

Last edited:

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    I was just there today. wasn't asked that, but as I live a stone's throw from Ill., they do check to make sure I don't require a FOID card.
    Some WallyWorld's have recently been granted, or re-granted, the ability to carry long guns.....maybe this pistol/rifle question was simply market analysis?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I got carded to buy a movie at Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. They are supposed to ask, but I have never been asked. My Dad said that was norm years ago.

pillsbury1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It asks when we ring people up (I've worked at wally world recently in the sporting goods department). If its handgun ammunition (9mm, .45 ACP, etc.) they cannot sell it to anyone under 21 BY LAW. If its for a long gun they cannot sell it to anyone under 18 BY LAW.

There are times when I have not asked people because I think they are old enough. If there is any doubt in my mind I have asked to see ID and never had anyone have a problem with it.

pillsbury1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I wonder if they actual know about ammo or if they ask that no matter what ammo you buy.
    I understand they have to ask for .22 but what if it's a handgun or long gun only caliber.
    Would they ask "Is that .223 for a handgun?"?
    Also I think it's just silly to ask, I know it's the law and that you cant buy handgun ammo if you are under 18 but you can just buy 9mm ammo and say it's for your 9mm carbine, same for .22 caliber.

There are those of us who worked there that do know ammo. But for those who don't the computer is programmed to ask. It will not allow certain handgun calibers to be sold to under 21 year olds, even if they claim its for a carbine.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Conscientious WM associate: "Is this for a handgun or rifle?"

Smartass customer (me):"Self-propelled field piece, why?"

WM: ... :n00b:

I love breaking the associates' brains. :hehe:

Blessings,
    Bill

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    I have been asked several times and I am a greybeard. I have even had to show ID to buy spray paint. Maybe they thought I am still a teenager. :D

Top Bottom