• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Anyone ever used the $8 gallon paint at wallmart? Googled it and saw no major complaints need to paint the whole house and some outside and have a young kid.

I know getting someone to mix it and all at the store will be a pain.

General Lee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Anderson
    Yea we used it. I used paint from Lowes , Walmart and Menards. Walmarts paint takes several cotes to cover . Where the other paints took less cotes . Money for money it's the same IMHO

PastorBlaster

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Wabash
    We reprinted every inch of our house over the last two years. Mostly we used Behr from Home Depot which we liked the best despite the drive. Menards brand stuff was HORRIBLE! It took so many coats I couldn't believe it, and that was on top of some very good primer. It was just too thin and ran everywhere. The little bit we used from Walmart worked alright. With paint, cheaper usually means thinner and more coats, so we've never found much cost saving going super cheap. YMMV

MrPeabody

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Dec 1, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I don't like to spend anymore on paint than the next guy, but my time is worth something. I spend more and get Sherwin Williams. It covers well, goes on easy and cleans up great. There is always a sale or coupon that you can use. :twocents:

RockCreekRelics

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2009
    The main difference between high end paint and something like what Walmart sells is the amount of bonding agents they contain. If I owned rental properties that had to be painted frequently I wouldn't hesitate to use a Walmart brand. For my own home especially in high traffic areas I would use something a bit higher in quality. The more expensive stuff wears better and generally takes less paint to completely cover the same square footage. If you go with a lower cost paint I would suggest comparing the price of Walmarts paint to the lower end Valspar paint at Lowes. Valspar is actually really good interior/exterior paint for the price.

Last edited:

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I'm actually sitting here at sherwin williams right now. Its where I work for the time being. I believe walmart sells dutch boy and sherwin makes that paint too. Cheap brand thats watered down. But sherwin is expensive and really a good paint. Our competitor is benny moore. Thats supposed to be right below us in quality. If you have questions i'll try to answer them. Been working in the paint buiness for almost 3 years

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Back when I did commercial tenant finishes we always used Sherwin Williams. I have painted once with Dutch Boy when one customer bought her own paint and it was terrible.
    I don't think you can buy anything worth a ....at a Wal-Mart store. :twocents:

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Thanks for all the good feedback, what would you all recommend? Being able to clean would be nice due to two year old but don't want gloss so may be stuck. The fear coats the better, will be painting whitewash.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I used some WalMart paint a couple of years ago. I guess it would depend on which one you get. I had to use two coats to paint over white. Yes white. :noway:

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    A satin/egshel finish (both are the same) are considered washable (wipeable). simple marks are going to be able to be wiped or rubbed off. If you're worried about markers on the wall and you don't want to go with a gloss than your best bet would be duration. Sherwins top brand paint but DAMN is it expensive for some liquid you throw on the wall. That'll run you around 60& a gallon. but definately works. i'd go with a simple satin/egshel finish in sherwin's superpaint (the thickest best coverable paint in the market) or MAB's fresh kote. damn near the same coverability. but still going to be throwing a lot more cash out than just 8& a gallon. like i said i work at sherwin williams. been there for a few years. anymore questions be sure to ask. like i said before too. benjamin moore is our competitor and they have some decent pain there too

supermahns

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    actually i just thought of another thing. If you're around a sherwin williams before you do

anything, ask to look at their "mistints". when trying to match a color and we get it wrong,

even just slightly we have to disguard it. and we can't throw it away so it just piles

somewhere in the back. i know at my store we sell them for $2 a gallon. So basically

you get a $50-$60 can of paint for $2 if you don't want an extremely specific color.

thats a little secret that'll **** the manager off since when we sell mistints we're

not making a profit

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I have used walmart paint for rentals, but as others have stated multiple coats are required for proper coverage.

I have used Sherwin Williams paint and like it very much. Coverage is good, often can get in on a sale (especially after your initial purchase they send you notice of sales), they know their paint and can offer assistance with problems or if you just don't know exactly what you want for the job.

I usually use semi-gloss. It is not too shiny but can be scrubbed. I even use it in my rentals and have been very happy with it.

Had great success with SW's Duration paint in a bathroom which had to have mold abatement. After the cleanup, applied an oil based primer from SW and then Duration two coats. That was two years ago and it still looks great and no further mold problems.

I have painted most everything and anything. A good primer is worth the money every time.

Hanu

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2011
    We bought paint from Walmart to paint a porch on a house we were selling. We had to get another gallon and it wasn't even close to matching. I took it back and the guy swore he mixed it according to the "recipe". He finally figured out the the first one was mixed with a white paint instead of the appropriate base. We never could get a match. I've painted with a lot of different paints and I always go back to Valspar from Lowe's.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Was it the color magic or whatever?

:dunno: All I know is white should be the easiest to cover. I was using a beige to cover a white. Like I said it took 2 coats. I would stay away from Walmart paint unless you feel the need to do a lot of painting and by the time you have to buy more paint to get the job done you could have just as well bought the better more expensive paint and had less hours in the job.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Cheap paint has never worked out to my benefit. The higher quality stuff from Lowes, True Value, or better yet, Sherwin Williams, has always covered better with fewer coats.
    Just my experience, but the better paints tend to leave a better end product that makes it seem more worth while, where cheap paints are a quick and dirty way to make an ugly sight look a little better.

Top Bottom