• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tomcat_AL200

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    West Lafayette, IN
    I was at Ace & Rico's last week when one of the guys who works there told me to buy up as much of the cheap ammo as I could at Walmart as they are getting out of the ammo business. Not surprisingly when I talked to one of their "sale associates" :dunno: they had not heard a word about it, nor did they know how to sell Ammo to me so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Have you all heard of anything?

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown
    I saw plenty there today. Didn't buy any as they aren't very cheap in my opinion. Something has to be drastically cheaper for me to purchase it there. (yea I'm a walmart hater) Anyway just checked to see what they had looked like all but one spot was stocked. I bought my $5 worth of crank-bait and left. i hate to hear that any store would stop selling ammo though even if I don't shop there.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I was at Ace & Rico's last week when one of the guys who works there told me to buy up as much of the cheap ammo as I could at Walmart as they are getting out of the ammo business. Not surprisingly when I talked to one of their "sale associates" :dunno: they had not heard a word about it, nor did they know how to sell Ammo to me so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Have you all heard of anything?

Does Ace & Rico's sell ammo?

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    intresting... I was atthe WalMart in portage and they had NO ammo at all, the cases were empty with just the tags

Vincennes was the same way this weekend, but I thought it probably had to do with them recently moving the sporting goods counter to a different location in the store. On second thought, they had shotgun shells, just no rifle or handgun ammo.

OP, Ace & Rico's is awesome!!

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    Life won't suck. We simply go back to buying exclusively through our FFL dealers again, like we probably should have been all along. Let's face it, it's not like Walmart ever carried any specialty ammo, like hangun hollow-points or such. At least the Walmart in my town didn't.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Yea Wal-Marts going to just stop selling one venue of its product line..........the one that has been very profitable, whats next milk and bread?

techno.m3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The guy at Dicks sporting goods in lafayette told me the same... i was skeptical though since I had just told him no on a box of 44 mag that he checked the price on.

ISHOOTHST'S

Master
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Iyaf
    Idk about this. Every time I check my local walmart theres more...and more....and more ammo.....yesterday when I went they had everything except .380. Yes that includes .45acp 100packs and UMC 250 packs.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Yeah, sadly it's true.... next, Walmart is going to stop selling clothing and household goods. Their goal is to drop all of the profitable product lines because they're tired of making money...

Really people? I'm sorry but if you don't have the intelligence to distinguish the difference between a gunshop rumor and truth... well... then, go buy all that Walmart ammo quick... it's the last shipment they'll be getting.

Jon Craig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2010
    Lafayette, IN
    O_o

Wal-Mart on 350 as well as the WLaf Wal-Mart both have assloads of ammo.

Or course a competitor would try to tell you Wally's is getting out of the ammo business... Heh.

Wally's is great for cheap range ammo.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Life won't suck. We simply go back to buying exclusively through our FFL dealers again, like we probably should have been all along. Let's face it, it's not like Walmart ever carried any specialty ammo, like hangun hollow-points or such. At least the Walmart in my town didn't.

Sorry, I refuse to buy from overpriced dealers...and as most of us know, our local dealers prices on ammo has traditionally been higher than online or other stores like Rural King and WalMart. As long as there are stores like these that sell ammo, I will certainly buy where it is the most affordable. I simply don't feel the same obligation or whatever you want to call it toward FFL dealers as you do.
    99% of the ammo I buy is for target practice, so the fact they don't carry hollow points or other specialty ammo is perfectly fine, as all I need is cheap plinking stuff. :shoot:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Doesn't someone start a thread like this every 60 days? Sure. One of the largest retailers of ammunition in the country is going to pull out of one of it's most profitable sectors.

I almost wish they would - Moving all of that supply out to smaller dealers would lower the dealer's wholesale cost, the dealers would lower their retail prices, and I could afford to support local businesses once again.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    All of the Wal-Marts in my area (NWI 2 NCI) have been undergoing total remodels and reorganization. Valpo and Plymouth both went near empty on ammo, moved the counters to new locations and both are now pretty well stocked on lots of stuff. Cases of .22 Stingers, Mini-Mags, 50+ boxes of .40, even Win 7.62x39 and Fed .223. Pretty wide selection of the popular hunting calibers, .308, 30-06, .243, 7mm Mag.

Its there, they are not getting out of the ammo business. I would think the brand new sporting goods counters and full glass front cabinets for the ammo are a pretty good sign. :dunno:

Btw, when I laughed at the counter guy at Blythe's over their ammo prices ($65 50 rnd/box of Speer GDHP in .357 Sig and $20 for 50rnd box of SilverBear 9x18Mak(!) he told me a classic line.
    "You know there is an ammo shortage, right?"

I looked around at the fully stocked shelves and the cases of ammo on the floor, looked back at him and said "Really?, I couldn't tell.":n00b:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Pardon me for asking, but how do all you guys saying that ammo is profitable for Wal-Mart KNOW that it is profitable for Wal-Mart? (other than, you know, they wouldn't sell it if it weren't profitable in some way or a clerk told you so) They are cheaper than pretty much anyplace else on the planet and that's including online sales. Even most remanufacturers of ammo have trouble beating Wal-Mart's factory ammo price. What's to say that Wal-Mart has been underpricing their ammo and taking a small loss or very small profit to get folks to buy other things while they're in the store?

I for one would have zero reasons to walk into a Wal-Mart if they didn't sell ammo.

P.S. I doubt that they will get out of the ammo business, but that's not based on anything but a feeling.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I almost wish they would - Moving all of that supply out to smaller dealers would lower the dealer's wholesale cost, the dealers would lower their retail prices, and I could afford to support local businesses once again.

You got to be kidding me, you really think that smaller dealers would LOWER their retail cost. Basic economics, you take away competition and the price will raise. Wal-Mart while hated by me and tons of others for some of their practices actually keep ammo prices lower in gun shops because they have to in order to be semi competitive, otherwise they'd tack on another $2-3.00 a box.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Yeah, sadly it's true.... next, Walmart is going to stop selling clothing and household goods. Their goal is to drop all of the profitable product lines because they're tired of making money...

Really people? I'm sorry but if you don't have the intelligence to distinguish the difference between a gunshop rumor and truth... well... then, go buy all that Walmart ammo quick... it's the last shipment they'll be getting.

:+1: Country Boy nailed it.

Top Bottom