• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, I am thinking of buying a piece of property a couple hours from me mainly for hunting and outdoor recreation. I probably won't be able to build on the land for some time, but want to have a "semi-permanent" place to stay. I am looking into a wall tent. There are some really nice ones that I found with a brief search last night. I have never researched these before, so I am coming to you, INGO.

Does anyone have any experience with wall tents? Any brands to stay away from? Preferred thickness? Etc.

I'm kind of wary putting a $1,500+ tent up on a piece of property for months at a time, being that I'm a couple of hours away, and wouldn't be on the property all the time. I would, most likely, give some hunting privileges to someone in exchange for watching over the property to help with the trespassers, etc. I haven't ironed that out yet, but just brainstorming.

Anyway, here is a company I found last night to give you an idea of what I'm talking about. Thanks for your input.

Montana Canvas - Wall Tents

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    As a previous wall tent owner I can tell you they are not semi-permanent. they can fall apart very quickly if left out all the time. The old camper idea would be better but be prepapred for every rodent in the county taking up residence, with all their associated illnesses.

den57

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Wall tents are the bomb. With a good wood stove, you can't beat them for year round camping.

How ever, if I were wanting to do what you are wanting to do, I wouldn't leave it up unatteneded. Critters are critters and will get into everything and make a mess of it. Leaveing it up for long periods of time will not hurt the tent if it protected with the right water proofing and a good fly.

Outfitters out west leave thier tents up for months at a time, but normally have someone there most of the time and critters tend to stay out. If I were in your boots, I would take it with me and set it up. I could set my 12x12 up by my self in about a half hour.

Good luck with the search....

Checkout this Co. : Camping tent, Wall Tents, Canvas Tents

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    for permanence and low maintenance, buy a small shipping container. yes they are more pricy. but they can be made into pretty nice living spaces, just build a wall with an exterior door inside the steel doors and lock them (steel doors) open when you're in it, closed when you're not. i would imagine that with research, ventilation, and caution you could heat it with a wood stove. also, your gear inside will be fairly secure if the container is well hidden from prying eyes.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    A 20' shipping container will run you $1,500 to $2,000. Another option would be putting up a small post frame shelter roof then use canvas tarps for sidewalls. In the off season the structure would only be a tin roof and not attract rodents.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    I've not owned a wall tent myself, but know dozens of outfitters and guides and PHs who do. As above, they are high maintenance and don't qualify as semi-permanent.

I'd want something I could put up and take down quickly. I have an 8 man Kifaru tipi on a lease that stays packed and stored on site. Inside an hour I can have the thing up and a fire burning in the stove. Despite the name I wouldn't want to sleep 8 guys in there.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    I have often thought of the same idea as the OP. And Building a 10x16 Mini Barn would be Ideal. A loft overhead to store stuff,a small wood stove or small propane,maybe have electric/solar lights and leave a self resetting mouse trap. Hell now you got me stired up for this!!!! :twocents:

Top Bottom