• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ok, first principles, premises. Say you have a corporation. The economic model consists of your guzintas and your guzoutas. Your guzoutas include various things such as cost of merchandise, overhead, taxes (don't pick nits with corporate welfare here, keep it basic), advertising, debt service, etc, and labor. Your guzintas are investment income and sales.

Until and unless you can buy back all the stock and go private, you're beholden to your shareholders to keep the price and earnings per share up, unless they explicitly agree to become a social welfare operation.

Your expenses pretty much consume your income, and yes, that includes profit. You're running a corporation, not a jobs program. You hire people to do what needs to be done to generate that profit.

You have little actual control over your investment income aside from selling and buying different stocks, so your income depends primarily on your sales, and you're only going to sell as much as people are going to buy.

When you're allocating your guzintas to cover your guzoutas, any time you give more to one, you have no choice but give less to others. If you can convince your shareholders that there will be a benefit later, you're welcome to try, but the fact that the bankruptcy attorneys weren't there to empty out your filing cabinets the first larger check you wrote is NOT sufficient to say that the added expense has been successfully absorbed. It'll be a couple of fiscal years at least before you can even comfortably take your finger off the light switch.

Increases in wages do not drive growth in an economy, and if everyone just does that it will be purely inflationary, especially under threat of force by the .gov. Economic growth drives increases in wages, as long as you're operating in a market rather than fascist crony capitalism.

Now, in my view, labor is very much a commodity, though it comes with a few loads. You need to be able to make an appropriate bid for the labor, just like any commodity, as was discussed upthread. If your wage structure is so inflexible all you can hire are the meth tweaks, you need to reevaluate. The thing is, the cost of labor is not equivalent between Butte Montana vs NYC. People in Butte don't need NYC wages to avoid dumpster dining. That one-size-fits-none is a great example of the inevitable failure of central planning.

The point it all comes down to, though, is if you're bleeding yourself to pay your labor more, it has to wind up coming from something else, and the most fertile ground among your guzintas is your sales, represented by price.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Isn't it interesting instead of simply answering what principals of economics you are basing your theory on, providing any facts to back up your claims, or countering a single argument I've made in response to your tripe that you now go further and further afield to avoid it? You can get your own answers with a little research about cash reserves, savings rates and the impact on an economy, percentage of income spent by various income brackets, etc. Present some facts and we can debate it. Simply declaring things is now tiresome.

I'm tired of arguing algebra with someone who doesn't yet understand addition. When you want to back up anything you've said with real facts or real theories and stop just trying to dazzle with BS and range further and further afield from the points actually made, come on back.

There are no complex economic principles at work here. This is the basics of supply and demand.

You can present all the wild theories you want, but you can't change the simple fact that any extra money given to employees, unless dictated by the market, has to come from someone.

Increases in wages do not drive growth in an economy, and if everyone just does that it will be purely inflationary, especially under threat of force by the .gov. Economic growth drives increases in wages, as long as you're operating in a market rather than fascist crony capitalism.

This is what I'm getting at as well. Redistributing cash to the lower class does not create wealth. Opinions on this may vary, however here's an interesting article on the subject:

Think Consumption Is The 'Engine' Of Our Economy? Think Again.

However, even if you are stuck on the idea that forcing wealth to the lower class is a good path to economic growth, how do you arrive there morally? What gives you the right to take from one person and give to another, in the name of economic growth?

I call it theft.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    I'm starting to doubt that some people suggesting reading basic economics books have actually read said books.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Higher overhead cost restricts supply.

Restricted supply with static demand = higher prices.

Ask me a hard one next

Sometimes. However I think we can agree Wal-mart isn't closing stores based on this and that the retail landscape remains unchanged, so supply and demand is unaffected...and supply and demand is what sets price. Which is what the thread is about, if you've forgotten in your ranging. Once again the point is raising wages does not equate to raised prices...because supply and demand. If overhead got to the point that businesses had to close up shop, of course, same as if demand dries up.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Walmart believes that this higher overhead cost will improve the customer experience, thereby increasing demand and allowing them to keep prices the same despite the restricted supply.

The increased customer satisfaction would be non existent in a government mandated situation because the higher wages wouldn't give them an edge in their work force quality. Once you remove that from the equation, prices go up or profits go down. Simple as that.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Higher overhead cost restricts supply.

Restricted supply with static demand = higher prices.

Ask me a hard one next

So, is this the same as banks, closing branches, because of cost ?????

Paying a teller, and no people show up ?????

So many people using on line banking ..... (I do NOT)....

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    LOL... Last letter of "market" and first three letters of "watch".

hehehehe

beavis-and-butthead-couch-leaderboard.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    They are raising prices. We get better at Mijers (Sp) in the last month. Walmart is not the cheapest place for Grocery's right now.

Why do Hoosiers insist on adding S's?

It's Meijer.

And you're right. I shop for groceries there now. I'm sick of Kroger prices.

Top Bottom