Wait, what? Help me in an argument . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    First off, not to sound rude but I'd suggest you do some research and come up with opinions on your own and not just listen to people on Facebook or on the gun board. Look up statistics and studies done on both sides of the argument and then come to a conclusion based on your findings. Here's a tip: the best way to win an argument is to know more about the other person's stance than they do. For example: if you believe gun control is bad, don't just read up on information from other people who think it is bad. Read info from people who are pro-gun control, find holes in their argument, and then debunk it that way. I hate listening to arguments where people know a great deal about their own opinion but have no clue how to refute what the other person is saying so its a completely redundant argument. Just like people who don't like Obama but know nothing about him, his life, his ideologies, etc. so they just spout off about nonsense. I myself dislike Obama but I've read both of his autobiographies, listen to his speeches, etc. that way I can make a rational argument against him, not just say "oh he's a Muslim that wasn't born in America so I hate him."

Secondly, if that guy was serious about his Glock, I do applaud him for taking safety precautions, but that fact that he obviously has no clue how his gun works scares me because he's either very dumb or just doesn't know how to operate a firearm. Either way he probably shouldn't own a gun.

Well, appreciate the sentiment. My main reason for asking the question was that I am fully aware I don't know everything, so when in doubt, I ask.

gunandrun

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2013
    lawrenceburg
    I am sorry for the grammar in my first post. Do not unleash the Nazi on me. I will try to do better. I was just trying to say that most break ins happen when you are not home. Having a loaded gun sitting around when you have kids is just stupid. The odds of them finding it verses a home invasion are just too great.(I hope that was the right too) If you have a crazy ex or someone stalking you, then you might want to keep a loaded gun handy.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am sorry for the grammar in my first post. Do not unleash the Nazi on me. I will try to do better. I was just trying to say that most break ins happen when you are not home. Having a loaded gun sitting around when you have kids is just stupid. The odds of them finding it verses a home invasion are just too great.(I hope that was the right too) If you have a crazy ex or someone stalking you, then you might want to keep a loaded gun handy.

We have always had a loaded firearm around. When the kids were younger we kept them well out of reach and hidden. Of course kids are curious and will seek out that which they are not supposed to have.
    As a parent one has to stay vigilant and aware. Not only of the children but of outside influences and activity's.

I am not sure where you live but these days here in the city folks are walking/driving around looking for opportunity's to do what they do....steal. Random acts of violence happen every day all day. The news does not report everything that happened today. It would be impossible to do. What I am saying is the odds of being robbed/mugged/invaded are going up.
    We have to find a balance with personal protection and parenting.

I did not read all the details about how the child found the loaded gun. If it was within reach, just wrong and epic fail on who ever left it where it could be found.

We have a 6 year old Grand daughter that spends a lot of time with us. She has been exposed to firearms and is aware of the dangers. At 6 you can school them. At 3 not so much.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    On a FB post about the unfortunate accidental shooting of the child up in Broad Ripple, someone said this as a reason to support more gun control. There is no such thing, right?

"My glock doesn't have to be chambered. Pull the trigger and it chambers one, pull again, it fires. That is why you WATCH your kids and keep the gun out of reach and locked (i bought a trigger lock)

My guess is that the person that posted the FB note is someone that bought a gun because they thought it would make them less vulnerable. They think of it as more a talisman than a tool. They have never shot it and probably bought a box of FMJ ammo because they were told that JHP bullets are illegal in civilian hands. The bullets and gun are both in the box in their dresser drawer and a trigger lock is installed to render it totally useless. This gun will most likely not be shot until the person that robs them shoots it, or the person that the burglar sells it to shoots it. Sadly, there are a lot of gun owners out there that fit that scenario.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    My guess is that the person that posted the FB note is someone that bought a gun because they thought it would make them less vulnerable. They think of it as more a talisman than a tool. They have never shot it and probably bought a box of FMJ ammo because they were told that JHP bullets are illegal in civilian hands. The bullets and gun are both in the box in their dresser drawer and a trigger lock is installed to render it totally useless. This gun will most likely not be shot until the person that robs them shoots it, or the person that the burglar sells it to shoots it. Sadly, there are a lot of gun owners out there that fit that scenario.
    You really think the person who said that actually owns a gun? I figured they just lied to lend credibility to the bs they were spouting.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ask them how many children drown in buckets, toilets, and bathtubs every year (just buckets, toilets, and bathtubs). Exceeds firearms.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    ...I was just trying to say that most break ins happen when you are not home. Having a loaded gun sitting around when you have kids is just stupid. The odds of them finding it verses a home invasion are just too great...

While growing up, we knew where the guns where (gun safes were not as prevalent or as affordable as they are today), what kind they were, what they fired and which ones were loaded. No one was injured by a ND or AD. We never touched them. Never. Was never tempted to touch them. Never. To have done so would have opened one up to the probability of inciting the rage of he who wields the hammer of Thor. Not going to happen.

In addition of being on the receiving end of calamity, pain and suffering when that Pandora's box opened, it would have been an irresponsible act on our part and would have disappointed our father and mentor. They were/are in the house and I do not touch them unless he hands them to me to this day.

I do not think my upbringing was all that much different than those around me at that time. With all the guns around and no AD/ND complete with no one getting hurt or cutting short a life. How could that be? What has changed? We became fair hunters and could shoot respectfully accurate whilst not using them in any criminal venture or otherwise endangering another human being.

...and today. that's "just stupid". What happened?

I hope that if you ever have a home invasion, after they kick your door in, they give you (the protector of your wife and offspring) the time to get to your safe (opening it blind from the adrenalin rush), and to your bullets that you have responsibly stored in another locked location before the neer do wells lay waste to you and yours.

Of course this may never happen to you and therefore your line of thinking will be vindicated for whatever course of action you choose for locking up the firearms. Shoot, I'd take the firing pins out as well. Come to think of it, going full condition butterscotch is the safest level of storing firearms known to man.

We were taught and to run counter to the lessons would bring about a known and horrifying exclamation point...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    While growing up, we knew where the guns where (gun safes were not as prevalent or as affordable as they are today), what kind they were, what they fired and which ones were loaded. No one was injured by a ND or AD. We never touched them. Never. Was never tempted to touch them. Never. To have done so would have opened one up to the probability of inciting the rage of he who wields the hammer of Thor. Not going to happen.

In addition of being on the receiving end of calamity, pain and suffering when that Pandora's box opened, it would have been an irresponsible act on our part and would have disappointed our father and mentor. They were/are in the house and I do not touch them unless he hands them to me to this day.

I do not think my upbringing was all that much different than those around me at that time. With all the guns around and no AD/ND complete with no one getting hurt or cutting short a life. How could that be? What has changed? We became fair hunters and could shoot respectfully accurate whilst not using them in any criminal venture or otherwise endangering another human being.

I hope that if you ever have a home invasion, after they kick your door in, they give you (the protector of your wife and offspring) the time to get to your safe (opening it blind from the adrenalin rush), and to your bullets that you have responsibly stored in another locked location before the neer do wells lay waste to you and yours.

Of course this may never happen to you and therefore your line of thinking will be vindicated for whatever course of action you choose for locking up the firearms. Shoot, I'd take the firing pins out as well. Come to think of it, going full condition butterscotch is the safest level of storing firearms known to man.

We were taught and to run counter to the lessons would bring about a known and horrifying exclamation point...

You described my father to a "T"

People today approach parenting from a Dr. Spock point of view.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Eight years old and I had almost every gun in a gun cabinet in my room. My dad had a shotgun in his bedroom, the rest of the guns AND ammo were in the unlocked cabinet. No accidents, no negligent discharges. My brother and sister were much younger and they were never interested or tempted. I've said it many times, take away the mystery of a gun and it becomes as interesting as any household item.

MrJewbagel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2012
    West Laffy
    Take away the mystery of a gun and it becomes as interesting as any household item.
    This can't be said enough.

Every time a friend says that they're afraid of firearms or that they don't understand why anyone would want/need one, it turns out that they've never been taught anything about them.

As with most things, fear of firearms is because they don't understand them.

The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.

-H.P. Lovecraft

McGraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Brockton
    This tragedy could have been prevented the same way the tragedy in CT could have been prevented. By the parent. Through RESPONSIBLE gun ownership and more diligent parenting. Because neither child a very young one or a teenager with psych issues should have unsupervised access to firearms. The problem with using that argument with a gun grabber is they are completely against the idea that people should be responsible and personally accountable for their actions. So blame the tools.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Defensive gun uses far outweigh the number of gun deaths. This child's death was more a case of negligence. Guns can be dangerous, but the only thing that would have for sure prevented it would be a complete and utter ban and confiscation of guns, certainly not simply more "gun control."

[video=youtube;YbYB6ACcRNk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYB6ACcRNk&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

And firearms-related deaths in children don't even make the top ten list. Whether or not you want to include suicides and gang-banging in those numbers.

Nobody ever wants to outlaw pools and retention ponds when children drown.

Top Bottom