• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    The Cinemark corporation should also go after the ambulance chasers that in some way, shape, or form represented the "aggrieved" families. I don't see the plaintiffs here bringing the suit forward without any form of legal counsel.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Wanted cash in on a tragedy, ended up getting bit in their asses.

zfg_oval_decal.jpg

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    This is interesting:

Did the judge also tell Cinemark they were about to win? Granted they probably deduced this after they won in the state court, but still seems odd to me as outside observer that the judge was trying to steer things this much.

>>ETA: Oh wait, now I see. The case itself had been decided, this part of the process was just about whether Cinemark was going to get all of the $700K they requested. Makes a little more sense now that the judge would like to see a settlement rather than an appeal of the $700K judgment drag things out.

This is what happened when another set of parents who worked for the Brady bunch sued Lucky Gunner ammo and lost. I don't know that LG has ever collected tho. I emailed them awhile back to ask if they ever, and they basically said they didn't want to comment on it.

Nondisclosure agreement most likely. Have we heard the other side crowing about it at all? If not then I would bet they reached some sort of settlement.

I've signed a couple of those in my life prior to getting paid.

All I can say if someone asks is "those situations were resolved." Or I have to pay back money.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't know, the place was a GFZ. I think they should be held culpable, especially if they in turn had no one on the payroll as dedicated security and/or armed security. However, the "no guns" signage in Colorado does not carry the weight of law, unless the place/business is listed in the state code. That may have been the Theater's ticket out of this.

While I disagree with most frivolous lawsuits, this one I could probably get behind IF they were trying to hold the theater responsible for their safety IF the signs actually carry the weight of law. Colorado is like Indiana in these regards though.

Say what? The test here was: Was there a duty to protect and was it foreseeable for the theater to think or know that some maniac was going to attack the theater? In other words would a reasonable man (the theater management) have foreseen that Holmes or someone like him was going to shoot up the theater thus giving rise to a duty to protect? Not here! There is no way the theater could have foreseen this tragedy coming. The greedy plaintiffs and their attorneys were looking to hit the jackpot regardless of what the rules of law are. This type of frivolous litigation has got to stop.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know, the place was a GFZ. I think they should be held culpable, especially if they in turn had no one on the payroll as dedicated security and/or armed security. However, the "no guns" signage in Colorado does not carry the weight of law, unless the place/business is listed in the state code. That may have been the Theater's ticket out of this.

While I disagree with most frivolous lawsuits, this one I could probably get behind IF they were trying to hold the theater responsible for their safety IF the signs actually carry the weight of law. Colorado is like Indiana in these regards though.

No, absolutely not. Let's say you have a nephew who likes guns but you've seen him repeatedly exhibit unsafe handling skills so you tell him he's not allowed to have a gun in your house. During a visit, someone breaks into your home and shoots him leaving him paralyzed. Do you think it's fair if you're held liable?

At the end of the day we are all responsible for our own protection. If you choose to enter a gun free zone and follow their wish for you to disarm, you're voluntarily making a decision to disarm. Even if the signs did have the force of law, nobody is forcing you to go see a movie there. Now if Holmes had sent the theater a letter saying "Hi, at xx time I'm going to go into your theater and shoot a bunch of people up" and they did nothing about that, that's one thing, but this occurring was not an event they could reasonably foresee happening.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I feel sorry for these families. I can't imagine their heartache following the tragedy.

I don't know if they received bad counsel from a greedy ambulance chaser, or were turned down by good lawyers until they shopped around enough and found someone who would take the case. In the first instance, they are to blame, but I have some sympathy. In the second, I have no sympathy. It should have dawned on them. We'll probably never know which was the case.

But justice was served, and I am glad.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I feel sorry for these families. I can't imagine their heartache following the tragedy.

I don't know if they received bad counsel from a greedy ambulance chaser, or were turned down by good lawyers until they shopped around enough and found someone who would take the case. In the first instance, they are to blame, but I have some sympathy. In the second, I have no sympathy. It should have dawned on them. We'll probably never know which was the case.

But justice was served, and I am glad.

That's the thing. All the justice they were due was served when the only person responsible for this was sentenced to life without parole. Beyond that, if he were wealthy, I could see them suing him. But no one else is responsible for what he did.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    That's the thing. All the justice they were due was served when the only person responsible for this was sentenced to life without parole. Beyond that, if he were wealthy, I could see them suing him. But no one else is responsible for what he did.

Exactly. My point was that the lawsuit had a just outcome. It's really a completely separate issue from the murders altogether. The only connection is emotional.

Top Bottom