• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ewizzire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I'm currently looking for a new optic for my C39 pistol. Seeing as my setup is relatively inexpensive I don't want to spend as much as I did on the gun on an eotech or aimpoint. I'm looking for honest opinions on these two optics and some pro's / cons. I'm also considering adding a flip up magnifier.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I don't have experience with the Sparc, but I do have the Strikefire and a scope from Vortex. I can say in my experience that Vortex is amazing for the price.

The Vortex warranty is worth it's weight in gold. Vortex Optics - VIP Warranty

I do have a Primary Arms Micro as well and I do like it. It feels well built for the price and is clear. I have not actually shot with it yet though.

The downside to the Sparc is the odd battery, unless it has been changed recently. It is also more than the PA.

My understanding of the PA is that it is more for light use, but I have read many reviews of its durability.

All things considered, I will say that I will be sticking with Vortex from here on out. I have had 2 warranty claims that were resolved quickly, and professionally, both of which they probably didn't even need to do anything about. Amazing company.

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm sure I'll get flamed again but I'll say it anyway. I have a Sparc gen1 and can't think of a single thing I like about it. It's currently back at Vortex for repair and will be sold as soon as I get it back.

My Primary Arms micro has been great. I also have a few friends who've had the same results.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm happy with the PA Micros on my 9mm and 5.56 ARs. I don't like how vortex setup the power and brightness buttons on the Sparc.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have no experience or opinion with the newest PA micro or a Sparc, but I really like my original PA Micro (looks exactly like an Aimpoint T1/H1). No complaints after lots of 5.56 rounds fired, but do upgrade to a better mount. I went through two of the standard mounts before I finally upgraded to the American Defense.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Don't have a PA Micro, but I do have a SPARC first gen and it has been great. My only issue is the odd battery that it takes, but outside of that, mine has been problem free for around 1000 rounds.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I would try a magnifier before you buy one if possible. IMHO they are great in theory, but not so great when you use them.

I have always thought this in the back of my mind, probably why I don't have one. Probably add unnecessary weight, and having it hanging off the side of the gun, when not in use, seems like it would be rather unwieldy.

FWIW, OP, the Sparc should come with a screw in 2x magnifier, unless they stopped including them.

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    Do you like the rotary dial power/brightness or do you want digital buttons? I dislike the dial, so my vote is for the Sparc. I have one on my Cx4 and it works fine.

ewizzire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I had the chance to mock up a flip up magnifier and it changed the profile too much for my liking. So no go there. As far as controls are concerned I'm used to the dial setup on the crappy reflex I currently use. I'm hoping to get an up close look at the Sparc this week then I'll make my decision. Hopefully they still have the 2x magnifier available for me to check out as well. Again, thank you all for your honest opinions.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I too have a gen 1 SPARC and I'm not real pleased. I love vortex as a company, however my Sparc battery has been replaced probably 4-5 times. I don't shoot it enough to justify that. As mentioned earlier the battery is a bit obscure as well. Hasn't been awful, but not a huge fan. I really want to like it, but PA gets my money next time I need a red dot.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I didn't care for my Gen 1 Sparc, but the Gen 2 I just picked up is a considerable improvement. The cheapy looking blue tint is gone, the power button is no longer on the side (thus not turning itself on constantly), common 2032 battery, and the mount seems a bit nicer. The magnifier is no longer included (but it was worthless anyways) and there is no longer a NV setting (which doesn't bother me either). My biggest complaint though is the part that emits the laser is still located in the 6 o'clock viewing area of the optic, and blocks your iron sights on something requiring a low mount (like the OP's C39 pistol). Looks like I'm going to have to pony up the money for an Aimpoint Micro, but the Sparc should work great on my 300 Blackout Handi Rifle:

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    the bushnell trs 25 i got for 60 bucks is decent but doesnt work well in low light except on the highest setting...the vortex strikefire has a red/green option and the green dot has been proven to be picked up by the human eye the quickest

ewizzire

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    Well its been a while but I thought I'd update. Went with the PA MD-ADS with an American defense qd mount. Haven't got it to the range yet. This thing seems stout. Quality is pretty good. There are a couple pen dot sized spots around the lens housing/cap where the coating/anodizing didn't take but nothing a sharpie or paint marker won't hide. Other then that no initial conplaints.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom