• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Interesting, but not surprising. My son struggles to shoot accurately with iron sights, but when I let him shoot my M&P 15-22 with a red dot, he is a dead-eye. He's not used iron sights in his video games. I'm going to do a little experiment and break out the old COD World at War and have him use iron sights for awhile and then take him back to the range.

mrp010

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    Granger IN
    Had a teenage cousin that had never shot a real gun before out blastin gophers like pro in like 10 minutes.

His only prior experiences were games. Which he was very good at. They have been proven to improve hand eye coordination. And not just shoot em up games.

He had a great time.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    This is kind of a silly topic (not the post, the news report) and falls under common sense for me. Video games are one of the better ways to improve hand/eye coordination and that's a pretty well accepted fact, especially when you can directly emulate the activity you're trying to improve. Handgun accuracy is largely hand/eye coordination (align sights, squeeze trigger). Do video games help in this aspect? You betcha. They also help you swat flys better.

That being said, I've been an avid gamer for going on 25 years now, and the first time I shot a handgun I couldn't hit ****. Every one of my shots was 2 feet high and right because of the recoil anticipation, flinch, trigger jerking, etc.

Video games do not, and will not ever, create a handgun marksman out of an untrained individual. I'd be willing to bet the kid in the story that Evan cited had a considerable amount of practice under his belt.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    That video was great. I enjoy playing violent video games. The Grand Theft Auto series of games are my favorite. Lots of great weapons, amazing game play, and a chance to be a badass in some small way. ........

The last time I played that and then went to the range I beat a guy
    with a tire iron and stole his car.......... didn't improve my shooting though. :dunno:

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    As a mostly "non-gamer" I never paid much attention to the media violence debate. Recently while reading Lt. Col. Dave Grossman's fantastic book On Combat, he has a section on video game violence.

The section that really stood out to me was when he talks about the shooter in the Paducah, KY shootings. Out of 8 shots fired, this kid made 8 hits, all in the heads and upper torsos of his victims. That kind of accuracy is UNHEARD OF, even by elite combat shooters. This kid "trained" day-after-day on 1st person shooter games, then shot 2 magazines to acclimate himself to the real deal just a few days before starting his massacre.

Really made me think. . . . .

You can read the excerpt for yourself here: On Combat, Media Violence

I would also recommend the rest of the chapter, or buying the complete book.

He gets around, he publishes anti-gun research and anti-video game research but it's the almighty Dave Grossman so everybody gives him a pass.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    He gets around, he publishes anti-gun research and anti-video game research but it's the almighty Dave Grossman so everybody gives him a pass.

I can keep an open mind. I'd be glad to read any articles you've published or written on the subject.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I can keep an open mind. I'd be glad to read any articles you've published or written on the subject.

I've been published, I know what makes a good scientific article and what is junk (which is the majority of public health related gun research). I'm finishing up a lit review right now for publication on safe storage practices if you want it.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    There is one important difference to consider. The shooters in the examples given in the article were all of an offensive nature. As law-abiding gun owners, we tend to train exclusively for circumstances of a defensive nature.

Very different animals.

True, but as bad as I am I get the defensive side of things more often than not.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've been published, I know what makes a good scientific article and what is junk (which is the majority of public health related gun research). I'm finishing up a lit review right now for publication on safe storage practices if you want it.

That'd be great. :yesway:

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Wolfenstein, Doom, Duke Nukem, Descent, Quake, Chuck Yeagers Air Combat, Aces Over Europe, Eurpean Air War, WW2 Fighters, Mig Alley, Aces High, Forsaken, Half-Life, Unreal, Max Payne, Battlefield 1942, Batltlefield 2, IL-2 Sturmovich, Crysis, MOH, COD, Brothers in Arms.
    Anyone wanna trade my joystick for a Cz 75B or M&P. It's well broken in.
    I should show up at the range with my MS sidewinder2
    p.s. Did I mention the penny arcades in Coney Island in the 40' and fifties.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    There is one important difference to consider. The shooters in the examples given in the article were all of an offensive nature. As law-abiding gun owners, we tend to train exclusively for circumstances of a defensive nature.

Very different animals.

Great video, point was to debunk the myth that video games does not "train" kids on offense violence as Obama and all his liberal clowns are leading everybody to believe. All these violent gunman that shot up the workplaces, schools, and generally public places all have a deeper sinister problem inside of them.

cassaireland05

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Hillsboro IN
    That's correct.

It doesn't have to be "shooting" video games that translate into better hand/eye coordination. It is, broadly, just "video games" that do it.

-J-

I agree!! I play Call Of Duty all of the time and I also shoot a lot too. :) If anything I think shooting a real gun would help me play Call of Duty better. If I could go into the actual game with a real gun I would probably do better. :)
    :ar15:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I agree!! I play Call Of Duty all of the time and I also shoot a lot too. :) If anything I think shooting a real gun would help me play Call of Duty better. If I could go into the actual game with a real gun I would probably do better. :)
    :ar15:

especially when some of those players start getting an attitude!:)

Top Bottom