• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    As to the left-load-right thing, that's a method some instructors teach for chamber checking without manipulating the bolt (which, when less experienced shooters try it, can result in an ejected live round or induce a malfunction). It also works in low light, when a visual inspection of the chamber may not be possible. Props to the guy for getting reps in and carrying over the lessons learned in training, but FAIL for saying the steps out loud, and for including it on the video without any explanation of WTF he was doing.

Is there some rationale for him reaching under the rifle with his left hand to manipulate the bolt on the AK? I've never seen anyone do that, but wondered if that was a technique being taught for some reason?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Is there some rationale for him reaching under the rifle with his left hand to manipulate the bolt on the AK? I've never seen anyone do that, but wondered if that was a technique being taught for some reason?

How do you do it? The instructors I've trained with have taught either reaching over or under with the left hand to operate the bolt, leaving the right hand on the pistol grip. The Russians and other Eastern Bloc militaries train this way, too. Personally I think rolling the gun 45 degrees to port and coming over the top is more positive, but rolling the gun the other way and going underneath can assist with malfunction clearances, as it orients the ejection port more to the ground, allowing gravity to work for you.

Polish GROM commando:
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYxhanNimA]YouTube - Polish commando fast reload[/ame]

Gabe Suarez (at 0:24):
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgsBvtOTtU4&feature=related]YouTube - Kalashnikov Rifle Gunfighting[/ame]

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What's with the left/load/right?

It's an admin load status check. You feel with your finger on which side the cartridge is, load the weapon and then eject the mag and see if the cartridge is on the other side (and thus weapon loaded).

I do this on all magazine carbines and rifles, but I always visually check as well.

but why not just tip your rifle and look into the ejection port while letting the bolt fly forward?

Because you may not always be able to see during a status check so it is good to get in the habit even if broad daylight.

Then, he hits a steel plate two shots out of ten or so with a Glock .45. "good to know the laser is on target."

I hear this as sarcasm.

As to the camelback . . . well, he likes carbines and carbines are all about gear, so why not wear a cambelback.:D

It's part of "the look" of carbine class. Camelback, a carbine fashion accessory.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Is there some rationale for him reaching under the rifle with his left hand to manipulate the bolt on the AK?

I don't know about "proper way" but it is the most efficient way. That way you don't break your firing grip.

I eschew the roll up on the AK platform and come underneath but then again, I'm no ninjy.:D

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Could it be they have a legitimate use in the training environment, like needing to stay hydrated but being unable or unwilling to leave the line to do so?

Nope, it's never been an issue in any of my classes, but I know ninjies like camelbacks and carbine classes are like ninja crack.:D

Yes, yes, I know people wear them and if they want to, just fine with me. But . . . I still get to laugh at them in good fun.:D

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    How do you do it? The instructors I've trained with have taught either reaching over or under with the left hand to operate the bolt, leaving the right hand on the pistol grip.

Hmm, I never had anyone show me, so I just always did it the way that seemed most efficient to me - I keep my left hand on the handguard, the butt in on my shoulder, and move my right hand from the pistol grip to the bolt handle (a distance of only a few inches, and on the same side).

It SEEMS more efficient to me: I can keep on target since my left hand and shoulder weld never move, and moving my right hand from grip to bolt is far less movement than moving left hand from handguard to bolt handle on opposite side.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Really?

I would have expected plenty of suppression - at least to eliminate the need for hearing protection. Learn something new every day.

There IS plenty of suppression. But they're still loud.

I personally wouldn't want to run "standard" .223/5.56 out of a suppressed rifle without some hearing protection still.

A sub-sonic load...then I'd probably try it.

But I'll usually wear ear mugs when shooting my suppressed .22, especially with standard ammo. I've got to depend upon these ears for a LONG time, need to take care of them.

They always seem much more quiet on cam-corder recordings due to the software involved in how those machines record sound. They "edit" out the loud stuff as recording, thereby making the playback sound much quieter than it really is.

However, the sound of the suppressed Glock in that video is more realistic.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    plenty of suppression when compared to unsuppressed, yes. but still has a good crack to it. Supersonics are a B! ;)

In order of quietest suppression: .22, 9mm, 45, any rifle caliber

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    seems like someone that hi-speed would have thought to have lubed his weapons before making his "look how awesome i am" video for the interwebz.

Top Bottom