• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well, wouldn't it be unfair if they only distribute it to new cars? I mean... most of America would drive pre-GPS cars. So only those people who buy the news ones are f-ed..

May be unfair but I think an strong argument can be made that the government cannot impose the people to have to retrofit pre-gps cars with a GPS. Think about when the state of Indiana began the emission testing. All cars AFTER 1980 (i think) must pass the emmission test or else you don't get plated. However my dad owns a 1972 Mustang that is except from passing the emmision test. Shoot that I doubt that car could since back when it was built there was no such thing as emmsiion laws. :D The same I would imagine would apply here: Pre2009 cars no gps BUT i'm sure you'll just get slapped with the tax somehow say a yearly "non-gps" tax of say the avg 'miles' most american's drive.

ElkhartGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Eklhart
    they already have been doing this, but only for semi trucks. its called IFTA and its a joke. it would take too long to explain how it works so just google it. now there trying to do the same thing with cars.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm not usually one to add to the hysteria or paranoia, but I'd like to add something. Most everyone owns a newer cell phone through a major carrier, and most of those phones can be satellite tracked depending on the band they use and the signals they send/receive. It would be far simpler and cheaper for the government to strike up yet another deal with wireless providers to utilize that tracking information to establish individual's use of the roadways.

We take our cellphones everywhere for the most part, this would eliminate the need to fund the relatively huge expense associated with adding some sort of GPS to everyone's cars. Sat-nav. equipped vehicles and aftermarket GPS units could also be utilized right now.

And I agree with the poster earlier in this thread who said that the government will jack up existing taxes whilst imposing new ones rather than do away with a tax. I'd be really wary if any tax goes away or is even lessened, as a bigger, "better" (for them) tax is on the horizon.

:twocents:

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    May be unfair but I think an strong argument can be made that the government cannot impose the people to have to retrofit pre-gps cars with a GPS. Think about when the state of Indiana began the emission testing. All cars AFTER 1980 (i think) must pass the emmission test or else you don't get plated. However my dad owns a 1972 Mustang that is except from passing the emmision test. Shoot that I doubt that car could since back when it was built there was no such thing as emmsiion laws. :D The same I would imagine would apply here: Pre2009 cars no gps BUT i'm sure you'll just get slapped with the tax somehow say a yearly "non-gps" tax of say the avg 'miles' most american's drive.

Indiana has emissions testing?

When did this happen?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I'm not usually one to add to the hysteria or paranoia, but I'd like to add something. Most everyone owns a newer cell phone through a major carrier, and most of those phones can be satellite tracked depending on the band they use and the signals they send/receive. It would be far simpler and cheaper for the government to strike up yet another deal with wireless providers to utilize that tracking information to establish individual's use of the roadways.

We take our cellphones everywhere for the most part, this would eliminate the need to fund the relatively huge expense associated with adding some sort of GPS to everyone's cars. Sat-nav. equipped vehicles and aftermarket GPS units could also be utilized right now.

And I agree with the poster earlier in this thread who said that the government will jack up existing taxes whilst imposing new ones rather than do away with a tax. I'd be really wary if any tax goes away or is even lessened, as a bigger, "better" (for them) tax is on the horizon.

:twocents:

Many GM cars already have the GPS tracking built in thru "OnStar". Not only can they locate but can open your doors and shut off the motor. A chip is being touted for all vehicles to allow the police to terminate pursuits by utilizing the mandatory chip to shut down the offending vehicle. License plate chips are available but I do not know of any state that has put them into use. The police would have a reader and scan your info. The reader could be built into the Traffic cameras or could be stand alone - scary huh
    - all technology that is available now

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Indiana has emissions testing?

When did this happen?

???? r u serious???
    Don't you have to take your car to those emmission centers in INDY every other year and pass some smort of test and get a paper rpintout which you can then take to the DMV and get your plates?

Up in NWI that has been going on for about 15+ years now. Every 2 years when we get a renewal notice it says "emmision test" required. Luckkly IN has not gotten start and began charging you for the test!

In CA the test is required every freaking year (at least in Southern CA) and YOU have to pay for it! $85 - $100 for the test certification and that is ONLY if your car passes. If it fails hey give you a printout of what is broken so you can get it fixed and then come back and PAY AGAIN to pass the test! This is before you pay for your plates!

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    ???? r u serious???
    Don't you have to take your car to those emission centers in INDY every other year and pass some sort of test and get a paper printout which you can then take to the DMV and get your plates?

Up in NWI that has been going on for about 15+ years now. Every 2 years when we get a renewal notice it says "emission test" required. Luckily IN has not gotten start and began charging you for the test!

In CA the test is required every freaking year (at least in Southern CA) and YOU have to pay for it! $85 - $100 for the test certification and that is ONLY if your car passes. If it fails hey give you a printout of what is broken so you can get it fixed and then come back and PAY AGAIN to pass the test! This is before you pay for your plates!

Only you wannabe Chicagoans get the Emissions testing as of now :rolleyes:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Think that is bad.....

???? r u serious???
    Don't you have to take your car to those emmission centers in INDY every other year and pass some smort of test and get a paper rpintout which you can then take to the DMV and get your plates?

Up in NWI that has been going on for about 15+ years now. Every 2 years when we get a renewal notice it says "emmision test" required. Luckkly IN has not gotten start and began charging you for the test!

When I lived in Central New York State you had to get a Vehicle Inspection every year when you renewed your registration and they always got you for headlights out of adjustment or some other item to make another $10. I can't remember what they charged but something like $5. If you flunked you could take your car to another place to get the item fixed but it was usually less hassle to get it done where you had your inspection done. If you left before getting the car approved you had to pay for another inspection.

In PA they will not pass your car if you have a rust hole in it and that place was salt city. No State is free of "got ya's"

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Only you wannabe Chicagoans get the Emissions testing as of now :rolleyes:

??WHAT!!!???

Is this true? OMG I just assumed that the all of Indiana had to do this!
    And please don't insult the rest of us Lake County Indiana folks with wanting to be "chiacagoans". That is the worse INSULT you can give us now that THEONE is taking office!

Just found the correct answer.

Q. Why is there a vehicle emissions program in Lake and Porter counties?

A. In the Clean Air Act Amendments of 1977, the United States Environmental Protection Agency designated Lake and Porter counties as nonattainment areas for ozone levels. The counties were reclassified as a severe nonattainment area in the 1990 amendments to the Clean Air Act. This classification requires areas failing to meet the National Ambient Air Quality Standards (NAAQS) for ozone to develop state implementation plans to attain and maintain the standard. Enhanced vehicle inspection/maintenance testing was put into place as a mandated control measure throughout the Greater Chicago area, which includes Lake and Porter counties, northeastern Illinois and southeastern Wisconsin.

SOURCE: Welcome to Clean Air Car Check

I'll be dumb I hav always assumed it was all of Indiana. But I guess this does make since. With all the heavy industry (steel mills, amoco, etc..) that we have had here for 100+ years it's no surprise we have jacked up the "environment". Well at least I don't have to pay for the test.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    ???? r u serious???
    Don't you have to take your car to those emission centers in INDY every other year and pass some smort of test and get a paper rpintout which you can then take to the DMV and get your plates?

Up in NWI that has been going on for about 15+ years now. Every 2 years when we get a renewal notice it says "emission test" required. Luckkly IN has not gotten start and began charging you for the test!

Many, Many years ago when Indiana had a State Wide Vehicle Inspection Law but it only lasted several years before it was repealed.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    If you have an vehicle with Onstar you already have the GPS and miles driven tracked.
    I just looked and found out I can view my mileage from 2006.

Thank god for old used trucks!! Glad I decided not to sell it now...

If they decide to go this route I wonder how many, including myself, will refuse? I think if we are forced into this I will be buying a horse and some land instead of a new car.

What could they do then? GPS my horse? :laugh: Over their dead body! :draw:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Yeah, I lived in the South for a few years... had emissions testing there too. Was surprised when I moved up here that they didn't have it. Pleasantly surprised.

As for "owning" our vehicle. Since when does the government believe we own anything? Heck, if we pay off our houses they still want us to pay taxes on it every year. That's not "ownership" either. They tax our paychecks, then when we spend what little is left, they tax that too, and heaven forBID if we should happen to make a profit on anything!

I love this country, but damn it's getting to be a pain in the butt.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Yeah, I lived in the South for a few years... had emissions testing there too. Was surprised when I moved up here that they didn't have it. Pleasantly surprised.

As for "owning" our vehicle. Since when does the government believe we own anything? Heck, if we pay off our houses they still want us to pay taxes on it every year. That's not "ownership" either. They tax our paychecks, then when we spend what little is left, they tax that too, and heaven forBID if we should happen to make a profit on anything!

I love this country, but damn it's getting to be a pain in the butt.

That is correct we are double taxed in many ways. Keep it up the good work big brother! Sorry didn't realize I was waking a thread

Top Bottom