• Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'd like to know how light I can go with Bullseye underneath a 230gn cast bullet.

As of right now, I run either 4.7gns or 5.2gns depending on my needs.

How light have you gone? How light is safe? I've heard things about flashover and how it may or may not be a real phenomena.

I have a couple more powders, but would rather only have one open at a time.

Thanks,

Josh <><

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    If your using an auto your going to get into spring limits,

I shoot a S&W 25 5inch in bullseye comp. and I could not get light loads to be accurate until I went to Vit N310 and went down to a Min load and retained my accuracy but I could not get W231 or Unique to keep accuracy at the bottom end of the loading charts

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    This is from my shooting log:
    10 rnds 5.0 Bullseye-10 rnds 4.6-10 rnds 4.2-10 rnds 3.8-10 rnds 3.4 - All
    Functioned 100% (4.6 being the best chronograph stats and accuracy-bad leading)

I used the factory Kimber spring for the above loads. I would like to try a similar loading with 231 in my .45. When I shot on the bullseye league I shot a S&W 686 6" and used 3.4 grns of 231 with a HBWC in .357 cases. Called it my "Mouse Belch" load...

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Back in'98 I had a Charles Daly 1911 that liked 4.1 gr of Bullseye witha 230gr cast bullet. 4.7 grs. leaded the barrel. After cleaning it with J-B Bore Cleaning Paste and Kroil(Barrels are easier to clean after this treatment), the 4.1 gr load gave good groups and no leading. 3-4 inches at 25 yds.

BeeRian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I use 4.1gr of Bullseye under a 230gr cast bullet. No significant leading and plenty accurate. Works great in both my 5" and 4 1/4" 1911s.

rookie0014

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    kokomo
    my kimber will cycle down to 2.8 gr bullseye would never load that low but was checking it out one day and tried at 2.5 gr it will bring the slide back but not far enough to grab the next round. I load all my 230 cast at 5.0gr hope this helps

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

Played around some and came up with 2.6gns of BE underneath a 230gn LRN, fired by a CCI magnum large pistol primer.

It will function my pistol well using the 21# mainspring and 16# stock spring.

I didn't try the 18.5# recoil spring, but it would surprise me if it worked.

A very informal test involved a soft wood log. The bullet entered the log and lodged sideways, indicating the beginning of a tumbling effect - something I was hoping for - and I believe it should stay inside the critter.

The report is milder than a .22 pistol, and recoil is about the same, but more of a shove.

Loaded up a few A-Merc cases since I don't mind losing them, and have a well marked magazine ready for action.

Thanks,

Josh <><

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Hello,

Played around some and came up with 2.6gns of BE underneath a 230gn LRN, fired by a CCI magnum large pistol primer.

It will function my pistol well using the 21# mainspring and 16# stock spring.

I didn't try the 18.5# recoil spring, but it would surprise me if it worked.

A very informal test involved a soft wood log. The bullet entered the log and lodged sideways, indicating the beginning of a tumbling effect - something I was hoping for - and I believe it should stay inside the critter.

The report is milder than a .22 pistol, and recoil is about the same, but more of a shove.

Loaded up a few A-Merc cases since I don't mind losing them, and have a well marked magazine ready for action.

Thanks,

Josh <><

I"m guessing this load is for any coons you run into without your rifle on hand, correct? Good idea! :yesway:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A lot of years ago, 3.5 gr of Bullseye behind a 200 gr LRN was my "target load." I bumped it up to 4.5 gr for pin shooting. I caught a lot of flack for such a light load for pins, while others were cracking frames with much stronger loads and 260 gr bullets. Accuracy and recoil recovery worked for me at the time.

I'm just getting back into reloading. I bought a batch of reloads from someone else. So far, a 200 gr SWC pushed by Clays and Solo1000 have proved to be accurate and extreamly clean. I'll be following this same route. I'll have to report back on the pins.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom