• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Looking to purchase a VEPR. I have not been around guns long enough to understand which give and takes are best for what I am looking to accomplish.

Overall I want to improve my marksmanship on an economical platform with a quality rifle. So I am leaning to the VEPR 7.62 X 54R. Because I am right handed. Just kidding.

I do understand the .308 would be more accurate, but also more costly to shoot.

So if I go with the the 7.62 X 54R, how much does the barrel length make a difference from either 16", 20.5", or 23"? Would it even be noticeable?

I appreciate any and all advice/comments.

Regards,

John

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Why not just get a nice 223 bolt gun if your looking for cheap practice or just a 22lr for that matter? To answer your question, no it probably wont make any difference you would notice. Welcome to the forum.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Greetings and welcome to INGO!

I really like the variety of ammo that you can find in the 308 (milsurp, match, all kinds of weights, soft point, hollow, fmj, etc, etc). With the 7.62x54 you seem to have much less of a selection. If I really wanted to reach out and touch something at 800 yards+, I would be glad to pick and chose among all the 308 out there rather than just depending on the milsurp x54 floating around.

On the other hand, you're absolutely right, x54 can be found at around eleven cents per round! That is absurdly awesome in a full caliber round for an autoloading rifle.

What distances/size of targets are you going to be shooting?

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    I don't think you'll notice much difference. The largest difference will be the amount of kick and fireball that you experience. The shorter the barrel, the stronger the kick and fireball.
    I've been eyeing the 7.62x54R as well. Just waiting to sell my LCP, then it's a done deal. Nice choice, by the way!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Greetings and welcome to INGO!

I really like the variety of ammo that you can find in the 308 (milsurp, match, all kinds of weights, soft point, hollow, fmj, etc, etc). With the 7.62x54 you seem to have much less of a selection. If I really wanted to reach out and touch something at 800 yards+, I would be glad to pick and chose among all the 308 out there rather than just depending on the milsurp x54 floating around.

On the other hand, you're absolutely right, x54 can be found at around eleven cents per round! That is absurdly awesome in a full caliber round for an autoloading rifle.

What distances/size of targets are you going to be shooting?

Where are you finding it that cheap?! 'Cause I wanna know! :): Best I've been able to find comes out to 19 cents or thereabouts... but still darned reasonable! Bradis has some Molot VEPRs in stock now, or they did as of Sunday. Sweet rifles! Just wish I'd been born a little richer instead of sooo good looking. It's a curse... ;)

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I would get the 20" as it is the best combo of proper length to stretch the cartridge and short enough to we everyday useable as a semi-auto.

Let us know when you get it - its going to rock!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I would get the 20" as it is the best combo of proper length to stretch the cartridge and short enough to we everyday useable as a semi-auto.

I concur, that's why I chose the 20" 7.62x54R to stock at the shop. It looks "right" and balances very nicely.

AKAGUN-VEPR-20IS-D.jpg

(7.62x39 pictured, but the x54 looks pretty much the same)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Where are you finding it that cheap?! 'Cause I wanna know! :): Best I've been able to find comes out to 19 cents or thereabouts... but still darned reasonable! Bradis has some Molot VEPRs in stock now, or they did as of Sunday. Sweet rifles! Just wish I'd been born a little richer instead of sooo good looking. It's a curse... ;)

SGammo had some pretty cheap a while back. Right now it's about $.145 per round before shipping.

Still soooo much cheaper than .308.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    A drawback to the Vepr in 54r is that it has a single stack magwell. So don't expect any hicap mags to be released.

I'd go with another option in the vepr line unless you're happy with 5rd mags.

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I know WPA was working on a 10 round magazine for the 54R guns, but I'm not sure if they have released it.

But it is in the works.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I want one of these so bad. The Dragunov has a 24" barrel, so I think I'd go with the longest option. 7.62X54 is an awesome round, and the VEPR's are known for being some of the best Russian rifles in production.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I want one of these so bad. The Dragunov has a 24" barrel, so I think I'd go with the longest option. 7.62X54 is an awesome round, and the VEPR's are known for being some of the best Russian rifles in production.

^+1 on that. VEPRs are put together a LOT better then PSLs. PSLs are getting crazy expensive(2yrs ago they were going for $579 which is all they are worth!!). If you are wanting to shoot that round PRVI makes some nice 150GR SP and 182GR FMJ that have reloadable brass. Brown Bear has some 203GR SP for some added POW. I think having a single stack mag is also better for the rimmed cartridge vs. having a double stack mag. I had a PSL and the 10rd double stack mags were junk.

Here are some choices:
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1VEPR54R2001&name=Russian+VEPR+7.62x54R+20%22+Rifles&groupid=11
    http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1VEPR54R2301&name=Russian+VEPR+7.62x54R+23%22+Rifles&groupid=11

pkoko

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    How accurate are the VPER? How do they compare to Smith Wesson MP-15? or any decent AR?

Horse

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    The shooter is still the biggest single influencer on accuracy.

Having said that, not as accurate as a top shelf AR.
    Still accurate enough to scare all the right things.

Top Bottom