• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • b0Rn~c0nfus3d

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    ya i would have to say tomtom or garmin.you should be able to find a sale on them especially now christmas is here.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Garmin Nuvi all the way, even the cheap ones right around $100 are excellent devices. Map updates can be pricey from what I've heard, the lifetime map upgrade for $10~ on a TomTom sounds tempting. I've used Nuvis a few times with great results, $150 should get you a pretty nice one.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I was in Sam's Club today and they had the Garmin Nuvi 1450 for $120.

That's the one with the big 5" screen and maps for all of North America.

I thought it was a great deal.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    garmin are great if you plan on doing anything other than driving around in your car. but driving you can't beat a tomtom

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    I'm in the market for a GPS too and have a question for TomTom owners.

With the TomTom (or other model), if you enter an address to navigate to, will it tell you your direction of travel and what street you're currently on? My Garmin won't. :xmad:

To the OP, Garmin Nuvi pros:
    -large screen is easy to see
    -easy to figure out and use

con's
    -my fat fingers sometimes have problems with the touch screen keypad, pressing the wrong letter/number
    -voice prompts can be last second to make turns or take exits, i've missed a couple in moderate traffic
    -windshield mount SUCKS, falls off enough that I'm sure that the GPS is shock proof
    -not some streets do not display names, even the major ones, not consistent

Last edited:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Fry's has the TomTom XL 350TM on sale for $139.00.

T is for lifetime Traffic
    M is for lifetime Maps

On a standard model that does not have lifetime maps, your initial map upgrade, for a year (4 maps 1 every quarter) is a minimum 69.95 per year.

I have the XL350TM model (also have a 130S) that performs flawlessly and love it.

There's a ton of times I turn it on right before heading home to make sure there is no traffic delays and of there is it'll give me a quick reroute letting me know there's a problem.

Also one thing about TomTom, there's a POI list for Gunshops and ranges available here on INGO for download.

bubajoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Best Buy had the Garmin nuvi 255WT onsale for $80, it's not the slickest of the a gps units out there but it will get the job done and the traffic updates can be a lifesaver.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Fry's has the TomTom XL 350TM on sale for $139.00.

T is for lifetime Traffic
    M is for lifetime Maps

On a standard model that does not have lifetime maps, your initial map upgrade, for a year (4 maps 1 every quarter) is a minimum 69.95 per year.

I have the XL350TM model (also have a 130S) that performs flawlessly and love it.

There's a ton of times I turn it on right before heading home to make sure there is no traffic delays and of there is it'll give me a quick reroute letting me know there's a problem.

Also one thing about TomTom, there's a POI list for Gunshops and ranges available here on INGO for download.

With all of those points taken into account, I think we might have a winner. That's a great deal, and the Gunshop/Range info is a huge +.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I've owned a TomTom and currently have a Garmin. The TomTom was junk compared to my Garmin, but there was a difference of about 5 years. The Garmin has that one beat in every area, which it should.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I've had great luck with three Garmins. Some of the Nuvis have free lifetime traffic alerts and map updates, look for models ending with LMT. Never had one steer me wrong or not give ample warning about turns or lane changes. Very easy to use and outstanding customer service.

Top Bottom