• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Varmint ammo help?

Need suggestions on a good Varmint/Coyote ammo that doesn't see much drop out to 300 yds, caliber needed is .223 and will be fired for a Mossberg MVP Varmint with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-18/44 with the BDC reticle. Want a decent grain that will pack plenty of hit but can still be stabilized by the 1-9 twist rate of the barrel. Thanks all

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I'm using a 60g V-Max with BLC-2 out of a 1-9 Savage 10FP.
    I've also had really good luck with a 55g V-Max using AA2015 in the same rifle. This is what I used when I went to South Dakota PDing for a week ,shots ranged from 50yrds - about 600yrd

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    300 yards isnt really that much of a stretch for just about any 223 load. Personally, I would look for a soft point, or similar bullet construction of 55 or more grains. With a 1-9 twist, the heavier bullets might give you issue stabilizing , but I would think any thing in the 55- 65 grain weights should do just fine. The only thing I would shy away from would be the heavy for caliber stuff (70+grains) as they are typically intended for the faster twist rates in some AR platform rifles, and application-specific target rifles.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 55gr. V-max (Hornaday) and the 60 gr. V-max worked very well for me. 300 yd. shots were not that difficult to make in the right conditions.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Ammunition :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: 223 Rem
    Here are the 2 pages of .223 that Hornady is offering. Like I said above, a lot of their line is suspended.
    It looks like they are not offering anytyhing in the 60g, I see some 62g.
    The z-max bullets are the same as v-max just a different color tip, just a FYI.(probably more $ for the gimmick)
    Any hollow point in the 50-60g range would be worth checking out for varmint use.
    Buy 1 box of each and see how they group on paper, don't worry if they are not hitting the bullseye as long as they are on paper, look for the smallest group. Decied on the best one then sight in for that load.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2013
    Lafayette
    Thanks RED I have some of the 55gr zmax bullets and I know they are same as vmax. I'll probably try a few types and see what I get. I'll post back with some results asap Thanks all

Top Bottom