• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Trying to learn what is needed. What machine to get, how much to spend as they seem to cost $50-$$$$? What do you get for the increased cost? Want a quality machine with as much flexibility as I can get.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    With cheaper vacuum sealers the time for the element to heat up to seal is longer and will occasionally stop to cool. Adjustable wet/dry sealing, adjustable amount of vacuum and the ability to store bag material in the machine are options. Be prepared for the cost of the bag material or precut bags. Ease of cleaning the juices in the machine from wet bags is another consideration. Also, if you want to vacuum seal containers and bags with ziploc style openings that can be reused is another option. We have a new FoodSaver NIB just for when the one in use might die. We use ours several times a week. Recently purchased this one as a spare...
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DI342IW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I buy Foodsaver refurbs. I really really like the models with built in bag cutter.

Like Stu said, it pays to have a backup. My bag cutting model lost the sealer. I'm back to the more basic original one. Still cut the bags with the broken one. :xmad:

Incidently, the accessory port tube and jar lid sealer get used about as much as the bag sealer for me.

Glock1230

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2020
    Hamilton County
    Ive had two food saver brand machines. The first one lasted 10 years and the second one is on its 5th year. They are the basic model and seem to work fine for just regular sealing.

The bags are where its good to do your research. Amazon has off brand bags that are great and some off brand bags that are crap.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Ive had two food saver brand machines. The first one lasted 10 years and the second one is on its 5th year. They are the basic model and seem to work fine for just regular sealing.

The bags are where its good to do your research. Amazon has off brand bags that are great and some off brand bags that are crap.

Just ordered some generic bags hope they work. Any good brands?

MikeHoncho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2019
    Laurel
    Can't tell you the model but I have a Foodsaver that is camo. Got it for Christmas several years ago and it has served me well.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We bought a multi-roll box of Foodsaver brand as I ran out halfway through a deer last fall. You can (used to be) able to find them on shelves all over the place if you get in a bind.

I cut cut strips of the bag material and use them w the Mylar bags for long term storage.

Top Bottom