• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    Me and the wife usually take a weekend type vacation like thursday thru monday in the fall. We have been going to gatlinburg the past few years but im kinda getting burnt out on it, its just so crowded. We live in southern indiana was just looking for some other ideas of what you guys do. Would like to keep the drive to 5-6 hours.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    My wife and I went to Chattanooga a year or two ago and enjoyed it. We actually loved Rock City. I had not been to anything like that since I was a kid and found it very enjoyable. We also found a comedy club downtown that was fun. The aquarium was very nice as well.

It's not like Gatlinburg where you can walk everywhere but we had a good time.

We also took a few days and just went to Louisville. We went to Church Hill Downs, took a tour in a large cavern, hit Howl at the Moon on 4th street. All in all a good time for a short nearby trip.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    There's always Nashville. Lots to do and see and some of the best entertainment and restaurants in the country.

We just came back from nashville this past weekend. It was fun but afraid im getting too old for that crowd. I heard more Journey and Gun's and Roses then i did country music there

RugerRog

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indy
    What do you like to do?

5-6 Hours would put you in Kentucky see this link for State parks. We've been to several and they are nice. Breaks, Buckhorn, Cumberland falls, Boonesborough, Jenny Wiley, Levi Jackson, Lake Cumberland, etc. There are also the caverns of Louisville, ziplining. You are also in range of Tennessee lots of stuff to do there, Nashville, Memphis. St. Louis would be do-able too.

In Tennessee there you can tour the Jack Daniels distillery. When we visited years ago they did not give samples. :( probably a good thing.

You could drive the tail of the dragon, deals gap. Drive the blue ridge parkway.

Whitewater rafting in West Virginia.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    We are going to Lake Santeetlah,on the Carolina side of the Smokies.We are going to take Old Smokie RR out of Bryson City,for a scenic ride, we will avoid the dragon,Gatlinburg,Pig Forge,but still take a early morning drive thru the park.We are camping,but this lake has some fine lake rentals for a fair price.That dragon tail keep all the bikers up north,and this town of robbinsville is a hidden jewel.Fast pace,NO.The town has 600 people,and Graham county has 8000 people.

a hidden jewel.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Me and the wife usually take a weekend type vacation like thursday thru monday in the fall. We have been going to gatlinburg the past few years but im kinda getting burnt out on it, its just so crowded. We live in southern indiana was just looking for some other ideas of what you guys do. Would like to keep the drive to 5-6 hours.

Fiji, my favorite dive vacation so far.
    Yap.
    Saba.
    Costa Rica was very good and fairly cheap.

Well, I guess the drive to the airport would be under 5-6 hours. Not sure how'd one do that as a long weekend though.

:rolleyes:

Having just come from a business trip in that area, I'd vote for Nashville (aka Nash Vegas). I love me some hot chicken.

Memphis is only another three hours past that.

Mackinac is a haul from Southern IN (8 hrs. from Seymour), but it's nice, the dunes are a great attraction in Northern MI as well.

Madison, WI is about six hours and a lovely area. However, all of our vacations tend to be beer related, so I might be a bit biased.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    My wife and I went to Chattanooga a year or two ago and enjoyed it. We actually loved Rock City. I had not been to anything like that since I was a kid and found it very enjoyable. We also found a comedy club downtown that was fun. The aquarium was very nice as well.

It's not like Gatlinburg where you can walk everywhere but we had a good time.

We also took a few days and just went to Louisville. We went to Church Hill Downs, took a tour in a large cavern, hit Howl at the Moon on 4th street. All in all a good time for a short nearby trip.

+1 for Chattanooga. Great city to visit with lots to do. The people are also very friendly. Definitely go to Rock City :).

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    +1 for Chattanooga. Great city to visit with lots to do. The people are also very friendly. Definitely go to Rock City :).

another +1 for Chattanooga.

Great restaurants, lots of Civil War stuff to be seen. The Fuller Gun Collection at Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park is FANTASTIC. Lots of nice hiking. Aquarium is also really nice.

And, of course, the tourist traps there are fun as well. Rock City, Ruby Falls, and the Chattanooga Choo-Choo.

Top Bottom