VA screws veterans...fatally....again. At least they didn't burn a flag.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    To some extent, it depends on where you live. San Antonio, Los Angeles, San Francisco are 3 facilities I am aware of through fellow vets. All have excellent care. Indianapolis' VA hospital has a number of IU doctors/interns involved and the health care is outstanding. Ask a local doctor or nurse what they think. Perhaps the great senator McConnell could go to bat for his veterans. Oh I forgot, like jobs, that's not his responsibility.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    To some extent, it depends on where you live. San Antonio, Los Angeles, San Francisco are 3 facilities I am aware of through fellow vets. All have excellent care. Indianapolis' VA hospital has a number of IU doctors/interns involved and the health care is outstanding. Ask a local doctor or nurse what they think. Perhaps the great senator McConnell could go to bat for his veterans. Oh I forgot, like jobs, that's not his responsibility.

It seems your main interest is bashing repubs, trying caring about Vets. Back when the big networks used to cover news, all of them had programs on the waste and fraud in the VA system. It has not changed.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    It seems your main interest is bashing repubs, trying caring about Vets. Back when the big networks used to cover news, all of them had programs on the waste and fraud in the VA system. It has not changed.

repubs? No. far right morons? yes. I haven't seen a positive comment from you on vets…you primarily attack Obama (your thread history makes it obvious that you're in the wingnut category).

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    repubs? No. far right morons? yes. I haven't seen a positive comment from you on vets…you primarily attack Obama (your thread history makes it obvious that you're in the wingnut category).

That's conjecture at best. I have absolutely no love for the PoS we are currently saddled with in the Oval Office. The self centered, whiny little ***** that he is annoys the **** out of me. But I'm far from a "far right moron". The VA has been a mess for decades. That's common knowledge to anyone that wants to open their eyes or ears. The way the country has handled Veterans services is deplorable and the VA is just the icing on the top of the ****-sandwich they served us as cake. Trust me, the cake is a lie.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    Bob: I'm a disabled vet and have had nothing but outstanding care from the VA in 3 facilities that I visited in Florida, California and here. Now, you may say that is a limited sample, but it's an honest one. When I had a heart attack 2 years ago and required stents, the VA did an outstanding job. The nursing care was superb. I felt that everyone at the Roudebush hospital took a personal interest. I never met a crabby nurse or arrogant doctor.

What more could be asked?

Do we need more money in the VA system? Yep. Projections are that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will cost $1 trillion in health-related spending. A lot of that should be funded through the VA.

One of the things the VA does not benefit from is Medicare reimbursement. If you have medicare, the VA will treat you, but the government doesn't cross-fund the cost of that treatment out of medicare. So, in some ways it's not surprising that older vets get put on a waiting list and told to see a medicare provider first, if possible. In the article above, the guy had medicare but didn't use it.

Stupid.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    That is a very limited sample. Look at Walter Reid. That is a great example of what the VA has become. Like any other Gov't run program, it's bloated, inefficient, ineffective and broken. We can't get rid of it, we won't fix it and we sure as hell won't deal with it today,that's someone down the road's problem.

The bigger issue isn't the VA itself, but the bloated gov't running it.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd like to know who is spouting this personally. Everyone I know opposed to Obummercare POINTS to the VA to show why it's a bad idea.

Seen it through various threads here over the years. Almost nobody that I've seen advocates getting rid of it. Mostly complaints that we aren't spending enough on it.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I am the OP of the thread. I'm a vet. Who exactly were you talking to?

I'm glad you've had good experiences with Indy's VA. Truly, I am. I wouldn't wish Louisville's VA on anyone.

I've had excellent treatment at Roudebush for the most part. I should say the last 10 years or so have been much improved.
    Lansing MI is also good.
    I have been to a couple of VA facilities that I wouldn't wish on a Democrat though.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think if veterans have health issues related to their service, it's something we owe, so I don't have a problem with paying for it.

But I don't think the VA hospital system is the best way to deliver healthcare. If lifetime health care is a benefit the armed services offer recruits, I don't see a reason it can't provide health insurance like other employers. Then people could see their own doctors, in private practice, and get treatment like anyone else. And there wouldn't need to be all the bureaucracy that keeps people from getting the service they need.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The VA isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination.
    First of all it's overseen by the Govt. That's the first clue there's problems with the system.
    I am thankful for the care I and others have received from the system. Many vets like myself have had to depend on it to SURVIVE. At times it's frustrating and it's not always been easy. For many it's the only health care they've had any access to.
    Not all human beings can adapt to the military, way of life, and life after their military service. There are special requirements for some military and ex military personnel and the VA does address these issues.
    Like any other government funded program there's a lot of waste, incompetency, and stupidity involved.
    I thank the VA hospital for fixing me up, keeping me walking on my own legs, and saving my life.
    The VA is like my wife (IF I still had one)....I can bad mouth the biatch but nobody that don't know her has no business bad mouthin' her.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I always appreciate hearing from non-Vets about what we ought to do with the VA. They generally have no idea about traumatic injury suffered in a war zone. Oh sure, they'll yell "hoorah" about sending out troops somewhere to kick ass, but don't want to pay for the damage after the battle is over.

Stuff it, you sunshine patriots!

Because non-vets aren't allowed to care about the treatment vets get at the VA?

edited: never mind. I see you're now a Shooter.

Deputy Dawg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    I live near Mountain Home, AR, where the local VA office has treated me right. Not to say, they've had some "growing pains" but viewing the entire picture, they are running about 98% in my book. It's been said the Little Rock VA hospital is more "liberal" than like hospitals around the country, including Indy.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I always appreciate hearing from non-Vets about what we ought to do with the VA. They generally have no idea about traumatic injury suffered in a war zone. Oh sure, they'll yell "hoorah" about sending out troops somewhere to kick ass, but don't want to pay for the damage after the battle is over.

Stuff it, you sunshine patriots!
    When you start paying for your VA benefits exclusively, then you can have an exclusive say on what to do with the VA. As long as I'm paying, you'll just have to suffer me.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So...did anyone read the article or is it just a "well, I got good care, so the VA is great" thing? I'm truly glad for the vets who did and do get good care. I wish this thread didn't exist. However, there are many vets who did not get that care, who waited years for their disability claims to go through, who were turned away and told "if you reapply, you'll probably get it, they turn down everyone on the first try", who stood in waiting rooms because there were no more seats, and now who were apparently put on secret wait lists so that some of the problems could be hidden.

It's not just the hospitals, its the entire process. There's no reason a disability claim should take years to process, there's no reason you should have to appeal because your first application is rejected to try and weed out those who will say "screw it" and not come back.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Because some people get excellent care, does not mean that everyone does.
    I mean hospitals have been caught with 2 sets of books. One that they showed, showing how efficient they are, and the other, where people die waiting on treatment.
    It's a story so old even Hollywood noticed
    Article 99 (1992) - IMDb

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I read the article. It's a shame what some paper pushers and non caring care givers will do. It's past the shame without a doubt.
    I hate to think I've gotten conditioned to accept this as.."Just the way it is" but I think that's what's happened to me. I've gotten so used to the status quo that I seldom give it a second thought.
    I'm glad you brought this all up. I needed to get my mind right.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    When talking with a liberal idiot about this, i explained that the VA is what obamacare will be. His response, he blamed republicans for spending cuts. These liberals are seriously stupid.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    It's one thing about conservative that I'll never understand, that I never hear any outrage over the obviously pathetic treatment of America's combat veterans. They talk so much about Patriotism.

Top Bottom