• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spacelegged

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Can anyone tell me about this so called Utah permit. Ive heard u can get one without being a resident there and it works in numorous states. Is this true? Can i get one with out traveling too far? Im in Ft Wayne. Does anyone have the lowdown on this topic and can they please fill me in.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Sure, the non-resident Utah carry permit allows you to carry in a number of states that do not honor Indiana's LTCH. You need to take a formal training class and pass a stricter background check than Indiana's. Ohio is one state that takes the Utah permit, but doesn't allow you to carry using Indiana's. You cannot use it to carry in Indiana if you are an Indiana resident.

Utah non-resident classes are offered periodically on this site in the training section.

Handgunlaw.us is a good source for checking who honors various permits.

ThePope

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Fort Wayne,In
    DPG Utah Permit Course - February 20th - Ft. Wayne, IN - INGunOwners ( crap, this link not working.....look for that title in the forum here....a page or two back...)

This should answer all, if not most of the questions you have, sir.....

The Jim Floyd class was very well done, top shelf, and cheaper than , say, going the Florida permit route, which, BTW is offered in Fort Wayne, see the folks at The Ole Ball-n-Chain Shop, on Coliseum Blvd, for more info, if you want to go that route...

But DPG is the bomb as far as Utah permit goes, visit their web site , it's full of info and class ideas.....

Good luck, and I am Out....;)

Last edited:

NosmoKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    +1 on DPG. I've done the Utah course twice (don't ask). DPG's (Jim Floyd) presentation blew away the other one I took. Not even in the same league.

Nosmo

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    +1 on DPG. 1/2 day of your time required. Mine has charged to my CC last week so I should see it soon. Last count I think it gives you 32 states.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Yes, they have been selling out pretty consistently in Indy. However, I will be adding dates for the rest of the year over the next week or so. Do a course in Indy at least monthly, plus will be adding some other locations as well.

Regards,

Jim

Jim, do these usually fill up. My "life" schedule doesn't really allow much in the way of planning ahead these next couple of months.

JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    BTW... am working on setting up a UTAH course in Ft. Wayne right now and will be posting the date soon.

Regards,

Jim

Can anyone tell me about this so called Utah permit. Ive heard u can get one without being a resident there and it works in numorous states. Is this true? Can i get one with out traveling too far? Im in Ft Wayne. Does anyone have the lowdown on this topic and can they please fill me in.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    States you can carry in legally on your (resident) IN LTCH:

AL, AK, AZ, AR, CO, FL,
    GA, ID, IN, KY, LA, MI, MS,
    MO, MT, NH, NC, ND, OK,
    PA, SD, TN, TX, UT, VT, WY

States added by the possession of a UT CFP:

DE, MN, NE, OH, VA, WA, WV.

At one time, NV and NM both recognized the UT CFP also, but no longer. Of note: As of 1 Jan, 2011, IA will be added to the IN list.

All of this presumes that the McDonald case before SCOTUS does not make all of these lists superfluous, in that all states are required to recognize all others. I'm not sure I see that happening, as it would be more "Full Faith and Credit" than either "due process" or "Privileges or Immunities", but I suppose it could happen, and it would be a good thing.

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    once the course is completed, about how long does it take to recieve the permit?......thanks

60 days, give or take a few, usually.

By the way, I have a fellow who is needing a class on some rather difficult time constraints (works in NE most of the week & comes back to IN on some weekends). He will be taking a class in Indy on 6/26/10, starting @ noon, if anyone would like to attend as well.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    60 days, give or take a few, usually.

By the way, I have a fellow who is needing a class on some rather difficult time constraints (works in NE most of the week & comes back to IN on some weekends). He will be taking a class in Indy on 6/26/10, starting @ noon, if anyone would like to attend as well.

Cool....thanks:yesway:

NosmoKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    +1 om Jim Floyd's class. Top notch! I've attended another Indy area instructor's course and it was dry and boring. Jim is a dynamic and energetic instructor who will hold your attention throughout.

Top Bottom