• ...and so much more!
  • avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Smart move that makes financial sense.

I'm sure there will be gnashing of teeth from people who DEMAND Saturday mail delivery...yet the same folks whine & complain when the cost of a stamp goes up a penny or two.

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Is this IT?

Is this what ushers in the ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE?

With hundreds of thousands of disgruntled USPS workers going POSTAL all at once, this may be the beginning.

Break out the EBRs, folks.

Must. Be. Ready.

:D

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Half paying attention to the radio this morning I think I heard them say now there are 2 days of junk mail??? Do they segregate days for "mass mailings" or commercial mailings that we would all just call junk mail?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    about time, as far as I am concerned we can go to 3 day a week home delivery.

I've suggesting this for YEARS now. Right about the time gasoline started creeping above $1.50 / gallon.

Keep up the cross-country and regional transporting - that wouldn't change. But cut down the local deliveries to MWF.

Anything that's more important than that is shipped via a common carrier anyhow.

OR have a special rate tier for those who need/want their stuff delivered on T, R, or S.

-J-

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Will the carriers still run their routes but only with packages? If so will they pick up mail from the house? Will the Post Offices still be open on Saturday for drop off and pick up? Hopefully more details will be forthcoming.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Good move IMO. Beats their idea of taxing emails to make up for the decrease in snail mail that was proposed years ago.

I think they figured out if they did that, then all of a sudden foreign email websites would start getting a whole lot of business.

And they can't really bill you COD for emails that you recieve due to the massive amounts of spam out there.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What I don't get is that they're pushing their Priority Mail package services and UPS package endpoint delivery services constantly. They're reportedly still going to do package delivery on Saturdays.

So, they're going to have carriers still going out to potentially drive most of their route with a total postage amount in the vehicle substantially reduced.

This my friends, is why the privately owned USPS needs to have the government financial umbilical cord cut. They do stupid stuff like this and then the gov't bails them out. Make them responsible for their own success and they'll start making good choices.

"If you take away the ability to fail, you soon lose the ability to succeed"

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    What I don't get is that they're pushing their Priority Mail package services and UPS package endpoint delivery services constantly. They're reportedly still going to do package delivery on Saturdays.

So, they're going to have carriers still going out to potentially drive most of their route with a total postage amount in the vehicle substantially reduced.

This my friends, is why the privately owned USPS needs to have the government financial umbilical cord cut. They do stupid stuff like this and then the gov't bails them out. Make them responsible for their own success and they'll start making good choices.

"If you take away the ability to fail, you soon lose the ability to succeed"
    you do know that they postal service can't make any changes without congressional approval? every single change they make requires approval, raise stamp price, congress has to vote, end Saturday delivery congress has to vote.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    Hopefully now they can be more rested to put my mail in my mailbox instead of my neighbors. Is that too much to expect?

Chuck

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    you do know that they postal service can't make any changes without congressional approval? every single change they make requires approval, raise stamp price, congress has to vote, end Saturday delivery congress has to vote.

Yes I did. I started my career in the bulk mailing / presort business. Part of the reason the USPS is so screwed up.

Look at Germany. Deutche Post is kicking so much butt over there, they brought DHL to the states. Totally private with zero gov't intervention.

thatgtrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    1. There's no longer a need for USPS. UPS, Fedex, etc can all get letters and packages around and make a profit.

2. It's another example of govt bloatedness at its worst. You need people to deliver the mail. And you need a few folks at the top to make decisions and maybe some support folks in between. But the endless layers of middle management in the USPS are killing it.

First thing Steve Jobs did when he returned to Apple was fire middle management. You are either doing something productive, or you need to find another job.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Half paying attention to the radio this morning I think I heard them say now there are 2 days of junk mail??? Do they segregate days for "mass mailings" or commercial mailings that we would all just call junk mail?

I rarely get anything other than junk mail on Tuesdays.

Top Bottom