Using Pistol primers instead of Rifle primers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    Soak primed cases for a few days in some penetrating oil, test fire a few of them to satisfy your curiosity they have been made inert, wipe down and de-cap them. Easy as that.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I tried soaking primers in PB Blaster, Kroil, WD-40, H20, ATF and 10W30.

None had any noticeable effect on the operation of the primer after 7 days soaking in a 45 ACP case full of it.

The Kroil did make it past the press fit of the primer though and was soaking into the workbench.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I'm not sure which AR he has but thats what he loads his 223 for.

Now I've deprimed a few pistol rounds here and there with no problems and taking it very easy. Depriming a 223 round thats been sized not as easy in my mind it take a little more force to get past the neck. And trying to do about 800 of them and not get into a hurry, even harder I think.

I'm planning to tell him it looks like he needs to toss them at this point.
    His mistake and next time triple check first. :D

Thanks all for the input.
    No need to toss them.
    Carefully deprime. Not that big of a deal.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I have decapped several hundred live primers - no problem yet with detonation. And if they do go off, so what? They'll make a loud noise and give you a scare, but what else? I have had two primers go off while reloading. It was loud and scary, but there was no safety risk that I could see.

mhs

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I tried soaking primers in PB Blaster, Kroil, WD-40, H20, ATF and 10W30.

None had any noticeable effect on the operation of the primer after 7 days soaking in a 45 ACP case full of it.

The Kroil did make it past the press fit of the primer though and was soaking into the workbench.

When I was playing around with this a very long time ago, water seemed to work better than oil, but not 100%.

mjrducky

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    North Liberty, IN
    Update

Well call him brave, couragous.... maybe an idiot, or dumb....

but I still have to call him family (by marriage).

He decided to give it a try and he sucessfully was able to deprime all 800 of them and reprime them with rifle primers.

So now you know the rest of the story....

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    Well call him brave, couragous.... maybe an idiot, or dumb....

but I still have to call him family (by marriage).

He decided to give it a try and he sucessfully was able to deprime all 800 of them and reprime them with rifle primers.

So now you know the rest of the story....
    and he is still alive? lucky he did not have 801 to do. that last one would have got him

scheesman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Indy
    For being a gun forum that preaches safety, I am amazed at the number of people who are willing to do unsafe things because they think they know better. I'll say it again: just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't make it any safer!

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    again. i never said it was safe to do. only said i never talked to anyone, not anyone who personally had one blow up. safety is always a concern. you should always wear safety glasses while reloading. every time you reload or shoot your reloads or handle gunpowder or primers or the list goes on, something could happen. i bet there are more accidents regaurding reloading and shooting than anything related to primers. so maybe we should all stop shooting and reloading and find something safer to do. or we could wear our proper gear when we are reloading and have fun.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    For being a gun forum that preaches safety, I am amazed at the number of people who are willing to do unsafe things because they think they know better. I'll say it again: just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't make it any safer!

The part of reloading that poses the most hazard is priming the case. There are many documented cases of primers igniting from the use of hand held priming systems that are so popular with some folks. All I've seen now come with printed warnings of some sort in the paperwork that most discard without reading. The reason for this is that things have happened in the past and this is done to qwell liability. Reloading, like most other things, has it's certain share of danger, but also like most other things, a modicum of common sense makes it safe. I wouldn't hazard a guess how many million live primers Jeff Bartlett and other salvage merchants have decapped over the years without a problem. Primers are designed to ignite due to impact from the face and not from the anvil side which makes priming more dangerous than depriming live primers, so if you want to be perfectly safe, STOP PRIMING WITH LIVE PRIMERS.

If you're that safety concious, you might want to try something like cotton ball art. :dunno:

Top Bottom