• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I'm at a loss as to what to buy for a couple of people. I mostly dislike Christmas shopping, and get frustrated just looking around trying to find something to give. My usual standbys are candles and stuff for women, or gift cards for everyone, if i don't know what they want. I hate the wastefulness of gift-giving. Any ideas for useful things? Tools, kitchen gadgets, thoughtful gifts? something other than a pointless gift nobody wants, or a dust collector! Something that makes life easier?
    Thanks

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Male late 20's possibly needs tools? Craftsman always has some new pliers/wrench special for the holidays that are handy and something that he might not buy for himself but will thank you the first time he discovers he needs it.

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Can you cook?
    My wife makes several kinds of chocolate candies and gives them out.

Young guy? Tools
    Old lady? something to keep her warm.
    (gloves, blanket, snuggie)

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Not gun related but safety, emergency related. I am giving a bunch of knives with the seat belt cutter and the window glass breaker.

Mine look exactly like this but say Mtech instead of S&W on it, made by the same company just stamped differently and mine was a tad bit cheaper ($12.50). Even got one for myself.

Amazon.com: Smith & Wesson SWFRS First Response Serrated Knife: Home Improvement

I am also giving ammo, ammo cans (good for all kinds of storage), rucksacks/backpack, 5degree sleeping bags etc etc.

Nothing says I love you like a knife that can save you life. Last year or the year before, right down the road from where I work, a couple's car overturned into a creek. They were upside down. She could not get his seat belt off and he died, she survived.

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    Most useful things I have gotten are my ratchet and socket tool set, screw driver set, and 3D Mag lite. Use them all the time and probably wouldnt have ever gotten around to buying them for myself.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Flashlights, knives... Put together a trunk kit for the women in your life. Blanket, flashlight, powerbar, emergency candle. extra batteries... etc... all in a small duffel.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    All good ideas. We have gone the Craftsman tool route with the young guy quite a bit- he is getting more, and has a good start on a nice collection. He is married and a homeowner, smart and "tech-savvy" if that helps. I like the multi-tools too, i have one in my desk at work.
    The older woman isn't really old acting, she's pretty much with it and fit. Actually, maybe a multi-tool would be good for HER...

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Buy the young man a case of beer or bottle of whiskey and donate some money in the old lady's name.

Maybe the old lady likes a little booze now and again too. A place I worked after high school, I worked around mostly older women. They always had a gift exchange for people in each area. I went with several mini bottles of alcohol and scratch off lottery tickets. They loved it because they said they enjoyed a little now and again but don't like buying it.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Maybe the old lady likes a little booze now and again too. A place I worked after high school, I worked around mostly older women. They always had a gift exchange for people in each area. I went with several mini bottles of alcohol and scratch off lottery tickets. They loved it because they said they enjoyed a little now and again but don't like buying it.

I know of several old ladies who like their wine very much! :D

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm at a loss as to what to buy for a couple of people. I mostly dislike Christmas shopping, and get frustrated just looking around trying to find something to give. My usual standbys are candles and stuff for women, or gift cards for everyone, if i don't know what they want. I hate the wastefulness of gift-giving. Any ideas for useful things? Tools, kitchen gadgets, thoughtful gifts? something other than a pointless gift nobody wants, or a dust collector! Something that makes life easier?
    Thanks

I am generally opposed to Christmas gift-giving. I don't find it edifying in the least, and I'm struggling with how to maintain sanity and a sense of reasonableness when it comes to having kids running around the house, who in all likelihood will expect some kind of giftapalooza. Thank God that's punted until next year.

I don't have any good ideas to offer, for largely the reasons you outline. I generally buy gifts for people throughout the year, if I come across something I think they would enjoy or could use. But saving it all up for one day, especially given the already-present social scuffles over the meaning of the day, just misses the point of both the day and the giving of gifts, IMO.

Top Bottom