• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I've bought new and used. Depends on what you are looking for and if you can make a good deal.

If you have doubts about buying a particular used gun, either ask someone or walk away.

thprez20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Terre Haute
    My son and I had a interesting experience at the Cabela's in Hammond recently. He was looking at a used retired police Glock 19. I asked the sales person to tear it down for us. We took a look at it and the sales person proceded to try and re-assemble the handgun. He finally got the slide back on it and the trigger would not retract back to the firing position. He kept racking the slide but the trigger would not budge. He took the gun over to his Glock expert. He comes back and says all it needs is to be cleaned. I looked at my son and said not thanks. Maybe it was something simple, maybe not. He ended up getting a brand new XD .40 for $70.00 more than they wanted for the used Glock. I fired the XD this last weekend, dam fine handgun.[/quot

I read this wrong the first time. haha Thought it said you got an XD for $70. That would be a great deal.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I wrote a lengthy and thoughtful response that my phone just ate before I could post.

Short Version

Private-Used: If the condition matches the price it can be a good deal unless the seller is trying to flip for full retail. Selection is obviously more limited and deal is sometimes time sensitive.

Private-New: Technically not new but sometimes people buy things, never use them and eventually sell them. Situation doesn't arise often but it happens if you find the deal.

Dealer-Used: Have to pay dealer markup (overhead, dealer's selfish desire to feed their children). However, the selection is better and the dealer will usually help resolve any issues with the firearm or at least have inspected it for safe function.

Dealer-New: Markup as noted above. Better selection, warranty, dealer service, known condition. Deal is not usually time sensitive (current events excepted).

A private seller wants to sell you this firearm, a dealer wants to sell you any firearm. Sometimes that changes the dynamic. I don't have a problem with any of these scenarios as long as I get what I want for a reasonable price.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I have bought used and new guns, mostly used. When buying a used gun I ask for permission to take it down to make sure everything looks right, test the function of it, and sometimes a private seller can meet you at a range so you can test it out.

dugsagun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    portage
    Some of the coolest guns out their havent been made in years, so you will only find them used. A good price on a good gun is simply that, whether its new or used. Everyone should have at least 1 cool used(old) gun, heh.

Jhampton

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Thank you. I have enjoyed all thoughts and I am glad that I'm in the majority. I'm ok with buying used but I make sure to do a ton of reading and studying before I buy. As a new person on here I greatly appreciate everyone's input.

Armored Saint

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 25, 2012
    Columbus, Indiana
    Agreed with the purchase of used guns. Most of mine are also used and I have not had any issues with them. My only advice would be to buy from someone who is willing to allow you a window of opportunity to test fire the gun.

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    sometimes you can buy them just as cheap new, in good shape nothing wrong with a used gun though,

That's the thing I think some forget when posting on for sale forums. If I am going to buy used, then I want a deal! Plus, many would prefer a new gun of a similar caliber from a different company, than a used gun at a higher price.

Does that make sense?

:twocents:

rhkirk1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    I have done both, and have had good luck both ways. Like everyone else has said on here, right now used on a lot of things is not cheaper than new (Glocks especially)

cmamath13

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Greenwood
    My son and I had a interesting experience at the Cabela's in Hammond recently. He was looking at a used retired police Glock 19. I asked the sales person to tear it down for us. We took a look at it and the sales person proceded to try and re-assemble the handgun. He finally got the slide back on it and the trigger would not retract back to the firing position. He kept racking the slide but the trigger would not budge. He took the gun over to his Glock expert. He comes back and says all it needs is to be cleaned. I looked at my son and said not thanks. Maybe it was something simple, maybe not. He ended up getting a brand new XD .40 for $70.00 more than they wanted for the used Glock. I fired the XD this last weekend, dam fine handgun.[/quot

I read this wrong the first time. haha Thought it said you got an XD for $70. That would be a great deal.

That's funny! I bet that employee was so embarrassed!

Top Bottom