• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Used oil places charge you to dispose of your oil then get paid by people who come and pump it out for them. Great racket.

And using motor oil as bar oil is a great way to:
    1 - Get oil all over everything.
    2 - Almost immediately lose lubrication on the chain.
    3 - Make sure you wear out the chain and bar way prematurely.

Just look at how "sticky" bar oil is compared to motor oil.

I'm also looking at ways to use my oil. I've been buying 5 quart jugs at WalMart and putting used back in those jugs. I'm wondering if it is feasable for an oil furnace to occasionally take the chill off the garage. Although I'm only doing changes twice a year on two vehicles, with both good for 7k oil runs with good synthetic. Not sure I'd have enough to make it worth it.

Although oil dripper for a wood stove is an interesting idea. I like woodworking and a wood stove is a great way to use up scrap or mistakes. I might look into the add oil option.

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    Pretty much any older( not common rail) engine will run on a mixture of diesel and used oil. Generally the older the engine, the more it can run. A 24 valve Cummins could run maybe 10%, a 12 valve up near 50%, the original 12 valves(First Generation) can run almost 100%. There is an issue with viscosity, you can't run the higher concentrations in cold weather, you have to have enough diesel to keep it thin. Also, burnt oil will cure mange on a dog. Not joking, I've done it and discussed the medical facts with a vet. Its real.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Let the really heavy sludge(if any)settle,then run the rest in one of these....
    Brunton VAPOR-AF Vapor All Fuel Stove Vapor All Fuel Stove

It actually burns used oil slightly better than diesel.Use it for added heat or to cook with.Brass,Titanium,and aluminum construction no plastic.
    That is amazing. Are you saying you can fill that bottle with used motor oil and it will somewhat aerosol or particularize it to the point it can spray it out like a stove fuel?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Also, burnt oil will cure mange on a dog. Not joking, I've done it and discussed the medical facts with a vet. Its real.
    Won't it also cure the dog on the Mange? Maybe I'm picturing a different process than you are. When you say burnt oil...what is left after it burns that you can get your hands on?

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    2j1lgmq.jpg

:D

:lol2: It will definitely kill the crabgrass! I don't think you want to be caught doing this. :nono:

Dodgerdoob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Bloomington
    When I say burnt oil, I'm using country slang for used motor oil. Its black and looks burned, but I son't mean that it has been drained and then ignited and then used. The sulfur in the oil is soothing to the skin as well as the oil itself. The oil chokes the sarcoptic mite that is causing the mange and allows for recovery. Its doing the same thing for lice on the hogs and the ringworm. I've used it a lot and the dogs were fine. As to running it in a truck, I've done that a lot as well. It actually helps in older vehicles because new diesel doesn't have the lubricity of old diesel and will cause pumps to wear out.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been using a 5gallon pickle bucket and one of these for storage for at least a decade now: Gamma Seal Lids Low as $3.98 ea - 3.5 Gallon Plastic Buckets & Pails White Low As $3.69 ea I've never left it on it's side for long to see if it would eventually leak, but it makes it to the drop off site just fine.

It's been a while since I checked around, but many places did used to charge to dispose of your used oil. Pep Boys never did, which is where I always took mine. I noticed today while at my local GMC/Buick dealership, that they will accept it as well. As for used oils medicinal qualities, I seem to recall it being mentioned on an episode of Dirty Jobs where he was working at the Camel Ranch. They use it to heal infections on a large callous camels have on their chest, where they rest on the ground. The lady said they had tried multiple prescribed ointments from vets, but in the end the old oil was the only thing that worked. Amazing what you can learn from TV :):

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    We used to use it for heating our farm shop and would go through about 600-800 gal in a winter. We have an electric furnace to keep it at about 50* but then kick on the waste oil heater when we're in there and run it at about 70*. Now we have a Natural gas furnace since we have NG for out new grain dryer. But we still use the Oil burner for the main heat. The NG one is to keep the temp at about 50. WE also would go get used oil from other farms and people woiuld bring their car oil over as well. We get quite a bit from servicing our tractors.

Also oiling down trailer decks, mix with diesel fuel and spray down equipment for storage to keep from rusting, starting fires with it, mixing with roundup and a little diesel fuel to spray around poles and posts.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    We filter our used oil and either run it in the shop heater in the Winter or through the Pickups in the Summertime in a 50/50 oil/fuel blend...

mattkellyind

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Marion In (Central)
    If you want to harden steel get metal in semi shape you want like a knife and heat up red to white hot drop it in a vat of the dirtiest oil you can find it absorbs the carbon this is one of the first uses for oil in history caution watch out oil will burst into flames in vat. but knife will be case xxx quality hardness

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    i use it on the underside of my trailers (with wood decking) but it makes it a pita to crawl under. back in the dirt road days we would spray it on the road to keep dust down

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    For those near Winchester there is a place there that will accept it. Winchester Ag Equipment.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you want to harden steel get metal in semi shape you want like a knife and heat up red to white hot drop it in a vat of the dirtiest oil you can find it absorbs the carbon this is one of the first uses for oil in history caution watch out oil will burst into flames in vat. but knife will be case xxx quality hardness
    Just to make note of it, not all steel will harden, so you need some sort of steel that will harden, and different steels have different hardening procedures.

Hardening isn't just as simple as heating up a piece of metal and dropping it in oil. There are many things that can be used to quench the steel, air, oil, and water being the most common. Water quenching will get you the highest hardness, but often you'll have problems with the metal being brittle, that's why oil is used, it's easy to control the amount of quench by using different oils etc (the oils are specialized for quenching metal). But if you oil quench a piece of air-quench/air-hardening steel then you may have brittleness.

Sorry, I sort of got off track there, my main point was to say that using used motor oil to quench steel really isn't any sort of controlled process so if you're actually trying to harden steel to a known/controlled amount, use a quenching oil.

Other things we use oil for have been mentioned so far, but I'll just support them.

Drip oil into the firebox on your wood-burner. My brother did that in his shop.

Mix a little bit with diesel for trucks in summer time. My dad and brother's do that with their trucks except they only use hydraulic oil, motor oil contains a lot of fine metal particles.

The local school system uses motor oil to heat their bus garage (it only makes sense right? they change the oil on 20 buses several times a year). We donate any excess oil from the farm (a couple hundred gallons a year) to them to help keep the place warm, and save the school system money.

Top Bottom