• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Anybody know of places to buy good used gym equipment?

Moving to a new house and eliminating the gym memberships by equipping an extra space at home. There used to be a "Play it Again Sports" and I know there still is one on the south side, but are there any other places I haven't heard of? The last time I was in a "Play it Again" was back when they had one in Plainfield and they had pretty limited selection. :dunno:

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    I have bought free weights and dumbells off of Craigs list for great prices. Most people buy equipment and it just sits. I offered $85 for a set of dumbells the guy wanted $300 for. It included 2 each of every weight except the 20 lbs (I got 4) from 5 lbs to 75 lbs and the rack. Just the scrap lead alone was worth more than that. Anyway, as the buyer you are in the drivers seat. Good luck!

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have bought free weights and dumbells off of Craigs list for great prices. Most people buy equipment and it just sits. I offered $85 for a set of dumbells the guy wanted $300 for. It included 2 each of every weight except the 20 lbs (I got 4) from 5 lbs to 75 lbs and the rack. Just the scrap lead alone was worth more than that. Anyway, as the buyer you are in the drivers seat. Good luck!
    Yeah, that's where I've been looking. I'm just gonna have to be patient for some things to pop up on there.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    What are you looking for specifically?
    Well, it's not a huge area to work with so making efficient use is a bit of a priority. I was thinking a squat rack with the lat machine. Pull up bar, drop safety bars, and plate storage bars attached would be nice.

An adjustable bench that can be used in combination with the rack for bench/military press. Having the preacher curl and leg curl attachments are a plus.

Then of course the olympic free weights and bars to go with it all. Eventually I'll get a small assortment of dumbells to add to it all too.

There are some decently priced racks at Dick's Sporting Goods, but that's not exactly the place I'd like to take my money to.

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Good Luck. We've been looking for a treadmill. Wanting one with an MSRP of probably $1500 but only want to pay about 1/5th of that. hehehehe We went to play it again sports looking for one but they actually sell new ones there.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well, it's not a huge area to work with so making efficient use is a bit of a priority. I was thinking a squat rack with the lat machine. Pull up bar, drop safety bars, and plate storage bars attached would be nice.

An adjustable bench that can be used in combination with the rack for bench/military press. Having the preacher curl and leg curl attachments are a plus.

Then of course the olympic free weights and bars to go with it all. Eventually I'll get a small assortment of dumbells to add to it all too.

There are some decently priced racks at Dick's Sporting Goods, but that's not exactly the place I'd like to take my money to.

:D

0750A906-3493-4EE9-B9AC-B0B69420D43F-16157-00000A541444942D_zps5a3dec76.jpg

3A615C82-AC40-4951-826B-A3A8EBB0B872-16157-00000A5418BA7F75_zps61f989f1.jpg

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Good Luck. We've been looking for a treadmill. Wanting one with an MSRP of probably $1500 but only want to pay about 1/5th of that. hehehehe We went to play it again sports looking for one but they actually sell new ones there.
    Yeah, I haven't been to one in a long time. I remember that's most of what they carried, but they did have some used stuff. Probably smaller items. I see a lot of treadmills and ellipticals posted around though.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I know you want to get rid of a membership but Premiere Fitness at US31 and Main in Greenwood is only $20 a month. It's never that busy and have everything you're looking for.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I know you want to get rid of a membership but Premiere Fitness at US31 and Main in Greenwood is only $20 a month. It's never that busy and have everything you're looking for.
    Yeah, but that's the whole point...and that's a bit of a drive too.

Thanks for the info though

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Try Bob Bloc fitness.

When i worked at Lifetime that's where we ordered all of our equipment. It's mostly high end stuff, but you can find some deals on some used things.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Try Bob Bloc fitness.

When i worked at Lifetime that's where we ordered all of our equipment. It's mostly high end stuff, but you can find some deals on some used things.
    Thanks. If it's the place I think it is, their website looked like all they had was new stuff. I'll look them up.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Also check surrounding local auctions, people like to start small gyms in strip malls, but then close their doors when a chain gym moves in. Again, when i worked at lifetime we got a ton of stuff that way as there was always a gym closing down nearby.

cbm76

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Anybody know of places to buy good used gym equipment?

Moving to a new house and eliminating the gym memberships by equipping an extra space at home. There used to be a "Play it Again Sports" and I know there still is one on the south side, but are there any other places I haven't heard of? The last time I was in a "Play it Again" was back when they had one in Plainfield and they had pretty limited selection. :dunno:

I've got a buddy who's trying to sell his home gym. We work out together at another workout place and he just doesn't need his anymore. If it's available I'll try to get some pics and a price to send you.

Top Bottom