• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Shame they don't have any for some of the VERY old rifles. (Sears - pre 1940) I would love to have a manual for that. (Did they even have manuals for firearms back then? :dunno:)

Still - a great site.
    Thanks again Annie.

Flagtag, try altering the URL by changing the "b" to other letters...what you might be looking for is maybe on page "d"...? Not sure. I know there's more military stuff on "a" and "c" and different things even past "e".
    Just play around with it a bit and see where it takes you. You might find what you're after yet! Good luck!:)

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Thanks again Annie.

My son and I were talking about it last night and he found a site where he was able to find some information on it. (he even found the Serial # - which we weren't able to find earlier.

I corrected the earlier post about it. It's a WARDS Westerfield (not Sears - duh! I don't know why I put Sears :n00b:)

It seems that it was sold by Savage and it is the Savage 29 with the name change for sale to Wards. It was manufactured between 1929 and 1937 when my father got it "used".
    It WAS made by Mossberg, according to the site info, but when Savage bought the company, they destroyed all previous records! :xmad: So, I can't even trace back to the original records. :xmad: :xmad:

I will check under the Savage section to see if I can find anything on it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    when Savage bought the company, they destroyed all previous records! :xmad:
    Huh. Wonder why they would do that!?
    confused-smiley-004.gif

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Let's see if I did this right ----

icon_posticon.gif
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Posted - 09/16/2009 : 1:59:28 PM[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]Numrich Arms Cross Reference lists it as a Savage Model 29. The M-29/29A (a later version) was made from 1929 to 1967.
    It's nearly impossible to date a vintage Savage by serial number. The company changed ownership in the 1960's. And the new/present owners reportedly dumped all previous records in effort to limit liabiity. There is a "Savage Historian" who "may" be able to help for a fee. His contact info is available on the Savage website.
    Your rifle is a store brand gun, which generally have less collector value than the same model w/MFG name brand.
    The (2008) Gun Traders Guide book value on a Savage M-29 in good condition is $236. EX condition = $339. So your value, minus approx 20-25%, would be somewhere between there.
    [/FONT]
    Of course my rifle would be worth less because it had been cut down decades ago. But, my interest was in when it was manufactured/sold and in finding a manual for it. (I will never sell it. It has greater history value to me.)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Hey Flagtag, try going over to rimfirecentral.com and posting your info in the Mossberg and Savage forums. With a membership of nearly 60K people, it's possible that someone has the same gun...and maybe has retained their papers/manuals with it. Couldn't hurt.

zky

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Thanks for the link. That's a great site. A couple years ago I was looking for a manual for a Sig and it took me quite a while to find it. This site will be very helpful.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Every time someone tries to certify her, they always get stuck on the form where it asks for level of conciousness ... their just not sure if she's really awake or just blonde......:dunno:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Every time someone tries to certify her, they always get stuck on the form where it asks for level of conciousness ... their just not sure if she's really awake or just blonde......:dunno:

Ouch. That one cut right to the...oh look a kitty. I like cheese.
    Now, what was I say...oh, I found a penny!! BOOYAH!!

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    oh look a kitty. I like cheese.
    Now, what was I say...oh, I found a penny!!
    well folks, that pretty much takes all the wonder out of it, don't ya think ? :dunno: an attention span like that wouldn't stretch to cover a dime..... :):

Top Bottom