• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    To support the criminal charges, it doesnt matter. If he's heard calling out loudly on his body cam, he did his job. Not his fault if the kid didnt hear him.
    It also didn’t help the cop that he never shouted “drop the gun” until after he shot him X times and kid was I. The ground.

Like Acorn cop this dude was way beyond his crisis management level and screwed up.

Just like the 2 Deputies I. Houston that mag dumped through windows and walls of the apartment 40 rounds (only hitting her 2 non critical places) some because a homeowner had a gun down to their side.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A gun pointed at the ground is not grounds to kill someone.
    It could be. To use deadly force, a reasonable officer, given the exact same set of facts and circumstances, would reasonably believe that the force was necessary to prevent serious bodily harm or death to the officer or third party. Now, I'm not saying that this particular UoF was reasonable. However, I will not also make the blanket statement that there will NEVER be a time where shooting someone while holding a gun at their side would be reasonable. What if the suspect was holding a gun, pointed to the ground, but he was standing behind a victim, with his free arm around the victim's neck (not strangling them, just controlling movement) and the suspect is making VERBAL threats to shoot this victim? I think we'd all agree that NOT shooting him, given the opportunity, would be wrong. Each UoF situation is unique and should only be judged based on those facts/circumstances in that particular situation.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    It could be. To use deadly force, a reasonable officer, given the exact same set of facts and circumstances, would reasonably believe that the force was necessary to prevent serious bodily harm or death to the officer or third party. Now, I'm not saying that this particular UoF was reasonable. However, I will not also make the blanket statement that there will NEVER be a time where shooting someone while holding a gun at their side would be reasonable. What if the suspect was holding a gun, pointed to the ground, but he was standing behind a victim, with his free arm around the victim's neck (not strangling them, just controlling movement) and the suspect is making VERBAL threats to shoot this victim? I think we'd all agree that NOT shooting him, given the opportunity, would be wrong. Each UoF situation is unique and should only be judged based on those facts/circumstances in that particular situation.
    This is reasonable as long as you can replace “officer” with citizen in a citizen on citizen altercation of the same description.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Agreed. I was referring to this specific case though. Door opened, guy had gun in hand, officer shot him seconds after the door opened.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    If he smoked some white dude with missing teeth and meth in his bathroom drawer, we wouldn't be talking about this.
    Yeah?

You literally posted in this thread where we discussed a white dude in almost the same situation. Not sure about his dental status or contents of his bathroom drawer, but also not sure how that's relevant.

If I had to pick a neighbor, I'd take black Airman who is serving his country and answers the door with a gun over white methbilly who answers his door with a gun. I guess I'm just weird like that.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    i think the point was a white dude was gunned down in a very similar (worse IMO*) situation and it's not national news. "We" discussed it, but crickets on the national news stage.

* I say worse because it didn't appear he had gun in hand, gun in small of back and hand behind his back.

The one I had problems with was the homeowner shot through a window in his own house by police on a suspected prowler call.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Back to this tragic shooting... deputy was on a domesti cviolence call and went to the apartment the apartment manager directed him to... not sure where the "he was at the wrong apartment" comments come from other than Crump's initial, false statements... he knocked and announced multiple times, loudly... after a delay and no "who's there?", "What do you want?", no communication from the apartment, etc, dude opens door with a gun in hand.

Is the officer in reasonable fear for his life... I'd say yes given those facts. I see gun in hand as different from holstered gun, etc.

Also, where is the gun pointed as the door opens?

We don't know as we don't "see" the gun in the badge cam until the deputy had already drawn... is it possible the gun was pointing out the door, towards the deputy, and the Airman, recognizing a cop, pointed it down in that second or two?

Does it matter? If the handgun was anything other than pointing straight down, does it change anything for those who see this as criminal?

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    Does “loudly announced”=the person in the apartment heard the announcement ?
    Having lived in several apartments, I'd say so loud that everyone in that apartment, the surrounding apartments, the apartments upstairs and downstairs from the apartment, would be able to easily hear and comprehend.

From the deputy's perspective, the dude "obviously" heard it because he came to the door.

And he did... even told his GF someone was at his door.

So, let's see... someone banging on the door announcing themselves as LEO, I don't see anyone through the peephole, so I'm going to open my door with a gun in hand?

Sorry, but I see that as the airman's mistake that cost him his life.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Having lived in several apartments, I'd say so loud that everyone in that apartment, the surrounding apartments, the apartments upstairs and downstairs from the apartment, would be able to easily hear and comprehend.

From the deputy's perspective, the dude "obviously" heard it because he came to the door.

And he did... even told his GF someone was at his door.

So, let's see... someone banging on the door announcing themselves as LEO, I don't see anyone through the peephole, so I'm going to open my door with a gun in hand?

Sorry, but I see that as the airman's mistake that cost him his life.
    While some of us agree we wouldn’t have answered the door that’s fine and dandy and yes that’s how it should have been handled but that’s speculation he heard he announcement of Police we don’t really know.

And sadly a lot of gun folks would do and have done the same thing and have not been shot by the police.

answering your door while holding a gun pointed down at the floor in your own house is not illegal!
    Unwise or should a woulda coulda doesn’t justify the LEO or anyone shooting you!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Agreed. I was referring to this specific case though. Door opened, guy had gun in hand, officer shot him seconds after the door opened.
    Indeed. The facts known to us (admittedly missing some) don't appear to support this UoF. There are lots of missing details but I wouldn't expect the media to have them, they rarely do. I'm curious about the forced entry. There are only 3 ways an officer can enter a dwelling, a warrant, permission, or exigent circumstance. A disturbance alone isn't enough...those are a dime a dozen. They would have to articulate that they believed someone's life was in danger and immediate action was required. It's a crap show for sure and an area of law that many overlook.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Back to this tragic shooting... deputy was on a domesti cviolence call and went to the apartment the apartment manager directed him to... not sure where the "he was at the wrong apartment" comments come from other than Crump's initial, false statements... he knocked and announced multiple times, loudly... after a delay and no "who's there?", "What do you want?", no communication from the apartment, etc, dude opens door with a gun in hand.
    How could there be a domestic violence call on an apartment with one person in it? Was he beating and screaming at himself?
    Is the officer in reasonable fear for his life... I'd say yes given those facts. I see gun in hand as different from holstered gun, etc.
    So a gun in hand equals fear for life in your eyes? I would answer the door in a similar fashion if someone was banging on my door and have.
    Also, where is the gun pointed as the door opens?

We don't know as we don't "see" the gun in the badge cam until the deputy had already drawn... is it possible the gun was pointing out the door, towards the deputy, and the Airman, recognizing a cop, pointed it down in that second or two?

Does it matter? If the handgun was anything other than pointing straight down, does it change anything for those who see this as criminal?
    Obviously what the airman was doing with the gun before he was shot is important. The officer tells him to step out and then shoots him. Not likely that the guy dropped his arm in that one second. If the officer saw that though, I am sure it will come up in his defense.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Indeed. The facts known to us (admittedly missing some) don't appear to support this UoF. There are lots of missing details but I wouldn't expect the media to have them, they rarely do. I'm curious about the forced entry. There are only 3 ways an officer can enter a dwelling, a warrant, permission, or exigent circumstance. A disturbance alone isn't enough...those are a dime a dozen. They would have to articulate that they believed someone's life was in danger and immediate action was required. It's a crap show for sure and an area of law that many overlook.
    There was no forced entry. The airman opened the door gun in hand.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    i think the point was a white dude was gunned down in a very similar (worse IMO*) situation and it's not national news. "We" discussed it, but crickets on the national news stage.

All national news sources. And one from the UK for good measure.

Got his own Wikipedia page as well. Weird for something that no one ever heard about.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    How could there be a domestic violence call on an apartment with one person in it? Was he beating and screaming at himself?
    There was a DV call... it's why the deputy was even there in the first place.

It's been a minute, but IIRC, in the badge cam the deputy interacts with the caller, the apartment complex manager, and she directs him to the Airman's apartment. Unless I missed something, the apartment number she said was the apartment number on the door the deputy went to.

And that's all the deputy knew to that point...

So a gun in hand equals fear for life in your eyes? I would answer the door in a similar fashion if someone was banging on my door and have.

In certain situations, unholstered gun in hand, yes... for example, some rando banging on your door, you open the door and they have a handgun in their hand? Are you saying that is no threat until they point it at you?

Another situation, someone trespassing on my private hunting land... OC handgun on hip is NOT the same as gun in hand.

Obviously what the airman was doing with the gun before he was shot is important. The officer tells him to step out and then shoots him. Not likely that the guy dropped his arm in that one second. If the officer saw that though, I am sure it will come up in his defense.
    Why do you say that? Same OODA loop... gun at the ready, recognizing a LEO and lowering it. IMO, entirely possible... and as you say, eminently important.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    There was a DV call... it's why the deputy was even there in the first place.

It's been a minute, but IIRC, in the badge cam the deputy interacts with the caller, the apartment complex manager, and she directs him to the Airman's apartment. Unless I missed something, the apartment number she said was the apartment number on the door the deputy went to.

And that's all the deputy knew to that point...

In certain situations, unholstered gun in hand, yes... for example, some rando banging on your door, you open the door and they have a handgun in their hand? Are you saying that is no threat until they point it at you?

Another situation, someone trespassing on my private hunting land... OC handgun on hip is NOT the same as gun in hand.

Why do you say that? Same OODA loop... gun at the ready, recognizing a LEO and lowering it. IMO, entirely possible... and as you say, eminently important.
    I never saw the airman at anytime have the gun up.

That said the airman was there with the gun down at the floor relaxed for a moment with his other hand up, the only OODA loop was when the LEO recognized the gun LEO immediately (as in sub 1 second) drew and fired.
    Only after assessing the kid on the ground did he yell “drop the gun”

This wasn’t a homicide or anything but I watched a U.S. Attorney refuse to charge an inmate for a “staff assault” in a federal prison. The middle of then day rink it was loud the Officer (who was a knucklehead anyway) slapped the inmate in the shoulder to get his attention (Officers statement when he regained consciousness) the inmate reacted turning and striking the officer one time in the neck head area (video was like dang the dude had some power for a short punch)

Officer was laid out I ate stood there was like WTF hands up said he didn’t know it was a staff member.

USA basically said the inmate was no different than a resident in their house and he didn’t see the staff member and (all on video) the force of the staff member slapping him it was within reason for the inmate to believe he was under attack by another inmate.

Making decisions as an LEO sucks sometimes but your stepping out into it when you start shootings folks in their own homes and just because they have a gun the “what are they doing with it” is a BIG factor if your right your a hero if your wrong well there’s probably jail time and or civil lawsuit.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Upstate SC
    All national news sources. And one from the UK for good measure.

Got his own Wikipedia page as well. Weird for something that no one ever heard about.

Sure, perhaps I missed the multiple reports and follow-ups, commentary and discussions of this on the national nightly news, morning shows, etc. for weeks on end...

Top Bottom