• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Costa Rica, the 'Switzerland of the Western Hemisphere' with no standing army, has a reported fleet of US Navy making a large presence ... again purportedly.

I immediately recognized this ship as a "WASP class". I have been on a day cruise on the original, LHD-1 !

US warships headed for Costa Rica | Lat/Am Daily

Insidecostarica.com | Costa Rica Daily News and Information

Catawissa Gazetteer: WHY IS THE NAVY MOVING SO MANY SHIPS TO COSTA RICA?

Two spanish-language articles and final third English/expat take on them.

EE. UU. aumenta flota militar en aguas ticas para combatir narco - EL PAÍS:: - nacioncom

Gobierno niega militarización de lucha contra tráfico de drogas - EL PAÍS:: - nacioncom

2647.jpg

46 US Warships Plus 7,000 US Marines On Route To Costa Rica?

6 US Warships Plus 7,000 US Marines On Route To Costa Rica?
    Scott Oliver - July 2010

On the 2nd July 2010 the Costa Rica Congress authorized the entry of 46 U.S. warships capable of carrying 200 helicopters and warplanes, plus 7,000 U.S. Marines "who may circulate the country in uniform without any restrictions" , plus submarine killer ships to the Costa Rican coast for "anti-narcotics operations and humanitarian missions' between 1st July 2010 until 31st December 2010.

With this kind of nation destroying firepower, it gives real meaning to the expression "war on drugs", but if this a real six month "war on drugs" we should expect to see some fantastic results, right?

Politicians representing the Acción Ciudadana (PAC), the Unidad Social Cristiana (PUSC) and the Frente Amplio (FA) political parties opposed the measure saying that the destructive force of the ships, helicopters and 7,000 US Marines is "disproportionate for the fight against drug trafficking."

On Sunday, the President of Costa Rica Laura Chinchilla said that the government does not intend to militarize the fight against drugs and the Minister of Public Security Jose Maria Tijerino stressed that this huge, powerful military force would be under the command of the US Coast Guard and not the US Navy.

Although I don't suppose the Costa Ricans, the drug traffickers or we expats will notice the difference...

A few of the thoughts that raced through my mind?
    • To my knowledge at the present time, Costa Rica is not suffering from any "humanitarian" crisis.
    • The article did not make it clear what sort of "humanitarian missions" might take place.
    • The article did not mention where any "humanitarian mission" might take place.
    • Based on the truly horrific, drug crime related slaughters we have witnessed in Mexico, wouldn't it be better conducting these kinds of heavy weapon "anti-narcotics operations" in northern Mexico?
    • With what is probably the world's worst environmental disaster going on right now in the Gulf of Mexico, surely it would be more appropriate to conduct "humanitarian missions" in the Gulf?
    • Or, could these crucial warships and the 7,000 US Marines be fleeing from something far more dangerous that is about to happen in the Gulf of Mexico?
    • The article did not make it clear whether these vessels would be patrolling off the Pacific or Atlantic coast but either way, is it possible they are on their way to Venezuela? Either as a show of force or something more serious?
    Does anyone know if any of these ships carry nuclear weapons?
    Another politician Francisco Chacón defended the arrival of the US forces saying that "they would give humanitarian support, build schools and fight against drug traffickers."

If these 7,000 US Marines, 200 helicopters, warplanes and submarine killers are coming to Costa Rica to "give humanitarian support, build schools and fight against drug traffickers," perhaps we could ask them to repair the new highway to Caldera? With that kind of manpower they could have it finished in a week.

But seriously, what do you think is going on?

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Costa Rica is NOT the "Switzerland" of central America. In fact it is a close ally of our and is one of the very few strong supporters of the USA in the world. It also has no real might to lend us, but it does support us and has a long history of doing so.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I believe it is turning into a major drug smuggling route out of Columbia and such. My wife and have been going down there for the past 5 or 6 years. Up until about a year or so ago, the Pan Am highway wasn't paved and full of monster pot holes. Imagine driving down a 4 lane highway with no median, no lines, and chuck holes that would swallow a VW. They kept it rough so the drug runners couldn't just blaze a trail north. It sort of slowed them down a bit. Now its paved and you can run 80 if you want. It's not too difficult to score some dope down there. At least a few times a year they catch a home made submarine packed full of dope heading north. The drugs have gotten pretty bad. Keep up on the news here.

Costa Rica Newspaper, The Tico Times, 2010 Presidential Inauguration, News, Costa Rica Elections 2010, Costa Rica Real Estate, Travel–Publisher of Two Central American Newspapers–Costa Rica News

I believe the US Navy will be using the eastern ports. The only port I know of on the eastern shore would be Puerto Limon.

Top Bottom