• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rkesar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    new whiteland
    I just got permission to hunt on a small piece of land in marion county and there are deer everywhere there, I was using a chainsaw yesterday cutting down a tree for the landowner and I saw deer the whole time, so walked within 20 yards from me, does anyone else hunt urban? I read online that what you harvest in urban zones doesnt count against your regulaar harvest so you can kill 2 bucks? It also said the season starts september 15th instead of october 1st, do you still check deer in at the same places if you shoot one in september?

AF92venger

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    NE of Indy, but not too far!
    Check the DNR Regulations Book, "Hunting & Trapping 2009/2010." It will tell you pretty much Everything you need to know about the question that you asked above. I hunt in Madison County within the city limits, which is considered Urban Area, but it is NOT considered Urban Zone in the DNR Book, therefore, I don't have the priveleges that the people that hunt actual Urban Zones have.

Just go to your Local Wal-Mart if you don't have a Hunting & Trapping 2009/2010 Book. They have them back on their Sporting Goods counter!

Good Luck!!

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure about "hunting in Marion County" I'm almost positive there are no areas other than designated ranges where you can even discharge a firearm. IMHO triple check the above DNR advice very carefully bro!

I almost totaled my Jeep on Springmill Road around 2AM one night. It was on that hill leading up to 79th Street. As I rounded the curve a huge buck came sprinting down the hill and then straight back up after I swerved to miss him.

There has also been 3 doe back in the Greenbriar residential area, hopping rear fenced in yards.

I guess Eagle Creek is expanding. :laugh:

TK

Greg.B

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Evansville
    http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/files/fw-hg_generalinfo.pdf
    Page 7 for specifics

Urban deer zones provide an incentive for archery hunters to remove additional deer by increasing the bag limit in certain areas. The bag limit for the urban zones is four antlerless deer, or three antlerless and one deer of either sex within an urban zone. This is in addition to all other bag limits. The season is Sept. 15 through Nov. 29 and Dec. 5 through Jan. 3, 2010. The provision does not override any local ordinances restricting shooting of firearms and bows. Hunters must obtain permission from landowners to hunt on their property. (For a private land permission form, see page 31.) An extra archery license is needed for each deer taken.

Dirk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    n00B question here: Is Eagle Creek Park open to urban hunting? We do a lot of hiking in that area and have see packs of a dozen or more this past fall. Many fallen victim to urbanization allowing us to get within 20 yrds.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    n00B question here: Is Eagle Creek Park open to urban hunting? We do a lot of hiking in that area and have see packs of a dozen or more this past fall. Many fallen victim to urbanization allowing us to get within 20 yrds.

Heh, I WISH! but sadly, no.

I've saw a lot of deer out there this fall while at a golf outing from work.

Everyone kept yelling at me that they saw deer...:n00b:

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Being an old redneck country boy I have to ask. Do urban deer have sideways antlers and walk funny?

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    The ones in my back yard only walk with a limp if they've been hit by a car.... I drew on a 12 pointer on Friday evening December 18th but he jumped back into the woods and then crossed the road back into the state park. Sucks....

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Not sure about "hunting in Marion County" I'm almost positive there are no areas other than designated ranges where you can even discharge a firearm. IMHO triple check the above DNR advice very carefully bro!

I almost totaled my Jeep on Springmill Road around 2AM one night. It was on that hill leading up to 79th Street. As I rounded the curve a huge buck came sprinting down the hill and then straight back up after I swerved to miss him.

There has also been 3 doe back in the Greenbriar residential area, hopping rear fenced in yards.

I guess Eagle Creek is expanding. :laugh:

TK

As long as your are not inside of 465 you can discharge a fire arm on your property inside of Marion County. We shoot all the time out in Frankiln Township.

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    tom1025,
    Based on my experience, I'm not going to go with your recommendation. Several years ago, my dad shot a nuisance squirrel out of a tree in our back yard on the south side - south of Southport Road, north of stop 11, between US31 and Meridian Street. Sheriff came by and said that was illegal - gave him a warning.
    I live in Lawrence and would have loved to shot a really nice buck in my back yard with my muzzleloader last month (during season). Checked with Lawrence Mayor and PD and they confirmed that would have been illegal to do...

I think you need to have a certain amount of property to be able to shoot a firearm legally inside Marion County.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom