• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INPatriot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    God's Country
    I purchased both of my lowers stripped and put a Rock River LPK on each. I am swapping a barrel on one of the uppers, but that seems far from completing a stripped upper. I like assembling the lower because it has given me a greater appreciation and understanding of the function of the AR platform.

So the question...is it worth what it takes to assemble an upper from a stripped receiver or am I better off purchasing?

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Worth it in what sense? Money? or experience, and love of the inner workings of the platform?

Sometimes its cheaper to buy something that put together already, but its more rewarding to build it yourself.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    I bought my upper stripped. Bought an upper parts kit from PSA but didnt use any of the barrel nut stuff since i went with a free float. But i'll be using that on another build. Then just barrel and everything else to go with it was all i needed. Is it worth it? In my opinion yes. What i wanted i was not able to buy. And what's the point in me buying something then changing everything. Depends on what you want to do. If you can find one already assembled how you want for the same if not cheaper price then what it would cost you to build, then yes buy it completed. If you want to build it up one time or just want to do it then i suggest building yourself.

Echelon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Unless you don't have the tools, or desire, I'd build it... especially since you've already done a lower. The upper is "harder" to build in the sense that you have to install the barrel, which requires a vise, vice clamps, barrel nut wrench and torque wrench. If you are purchasing a completed upper assembly, then go for it, but I wouldn't buy a non-stripped upper sans barrel just to avoid putting on the cover and forward assist... takes 5 minutes.

operatorj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Heltonville
    Sometimes you can save. Sometimes it worth buying one already assembled. I personally like buying stripped cause I like putting it together myself so I see exactly what is going into it.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    It is rare to be able to save money while building an upper. It all depends on how pick you want to be about the parts...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-
    So the question...is it worth what it takes to assemble an upper from a stripped receiver or am I better off purchasing?

It's worth it if you want to have total control over selecting each part that goes into it.

To me, it's worth it, but YMMV.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana

Standard Forged Upper: For 1 upper? Not really.

Billet Upper: Most of the time yes, unless you find one with the barrel you want already installed.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    All good replies above. I prefer to build it myself due to all the reasons above. 1- Like to know how it works, 2- cost (buy blems from PSA), 3- its fun, 4- I might Cerakote it before assy, etc. etc. PSA had blems for $38 a while back. Great for a Cerakote project.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I am of the mind set "build it if you can, even if it cost a little more" It's also only practical if you can do it correctly. I built my first upper about a week ago. It's not rocket science. A tork wrench, upper vise block and the barrel wrench are the biggest tools needed. Easily found. I bought universal tools that work on the upper and the lower. Youtube has a thousand how to video's. It's a great experience. Unless I can get a great deal on a upper I am going to just build mine now. Just getting ready to do a second one here shortly.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I have a cheap ass dsa built, and another one I've frankenrifled myself. I've shot rifleman with both at 25 yd, and the former at known distance (The latter will be shot KD in June).
    If you think you'll build multiple rifles, then the cost of the tools to build the uppers may be worth it. I finally broke down and bought an armorers wrench myself.
    Most of what I've seen from an 'average' shooter suggests 'build your lower, buy an upper'
    ymmv

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    Psa had a deal on upper minus barrel basicly for like $65. But they always get you on the shipping. So you would have to buy a few things to make it worthwhile. Just buy one from dsa though. They sell it so cheap. Just make sure to call and ask for what is in stock. That or shop around and find a deal. If you want to build one that bad, buy one from dsa, take it apart and put it back together lol

jwhitaker45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    I am in the process of building my own and I have decided I will never buy pre assembled again. I like having control of everything buy I am also a builder. I love doing it myself. It's more rewarding.

Top Bottom