• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KaneEvolution

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Elkhart/Goshen Area
    Alright, so my grandfather handed me down his old Mossberg M114, and while I did learn with it and refurbish it, I doubt I could really use it for anything, it wasn't too well taken care of.

I'm looking to upgrade to a more modern .22, preferably one I can use in competition shooting, of the three, which would you guys recommend the most? I'd like something fun and not bank-breaking, but still sturdy.

Savage Arms Mk. II FV-SR
    Marlin 925R
    Ruger 10/22

Any advice is much appreciated in advance, thank you!

Last edited:

sht4brnz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    N.IndNpls
    Even though I've never touched the other two i would still vote for the ruger bases solely on all thats available for it in the aftermarket world. With that said, you can probably find a used one for $150-200 and build it for any specific purpose without breaking the bank. Or check out some of the companies that have taken the 10/22 and upgraded it from every possible angle. Volquartsen, Tactical Solutions, Kidd, and there plenty of others.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    What kind of competition? The Marlin 795 is only about $100 and will cloverleaf at 25yrds. Mine's got several thousand rounds through it and is still running like a sewing machine.

KaneEvolution

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Elkhart/Goshen Area
    Just target competitions in general, having been raised as a sniper with airsoft/BB guns, I like range. The ability to outfit it with a scope, bipod and possibly a suppressor would be a huge bonus.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Well, my 795 sports a scope and a suppressor. I'm sling-trained, so I just dispense with the bipod, but you could mount one if you want. If you are looking for range, the .22LR isn't going to be your best choice from a ballistics standpoint - at 100yrds you are looking at a pretty sizeable bullet drop, much past that and the bullet is falling out of the sky. In any case, The Marlin 795 will leave you more money for a decent scope and will shoot at least as well as the Ruger before you spend a bunch on upgrades. I haven't shot either of the two bolt guns, but I suspect the trigger will be better on the Savage. You'd save $200 by buying the Marlin 925R, of which you'll have to pay $80 or so to get it threaded for a suppressor.

DeezArmory

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Northern Indiana
    Definitely gotta give my vote to the Ruger 10/22. I have one that has not been customized at all (yet) and it is totally awesome! But if you wanna customize it, the options are limitless!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Just target competitions in general, having been raised as a sniper with airsoft/BB guns, I like range. The ability to outfit it with a scope, bipod and possibly a suppressor would be a huge bonus.

+1 for the FV-SR. They're crazy accurate out of the box, and suppressor ready. My only issue was the factory stock felt like a BB gun, so I replaced it with a Boyd's. Here's mine:

404173032.jpg

I'm still waiting on the stamp for my Huntertown Guardian. :rockwoot:

sprint395

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    For me it was between the Ruger 10/22 and the Remington 597.... If you are going to leave the gun stock and be shooting like 100 yards get the Remington. You will not be disappointed. I went with the 10/22 because I cant leave anything the way it is. For customization the Ruger is the only option. The Remington is a better value and I think it shoots better out of the box. Also it comes with a scope.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    10-22 also gets my vote. I have near 20k fun filled rounds threw mine. You can get anything for it. I have lost mine to my son. going to get the Bull barrel version to replace it.

Top Bottom