• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I decided to start a new thread since the other one obviously got a little side-tracked.

I just got off the phone with Chief Deputy Ron Babcock. He said that he went to the Sheriff and discussed matters with him, and they both agreed that I was in the right, and the Reserve officer way completely out of line. I think we all knew this, but it was good to see that he took an unbiased stand rather than just siding with the LEO. He said that the sheriff would be doing 2 things as a result of this encounter.

1. He would be implementing training for the Reserve Officers that would keep them updated on current laws. He said that the Reserves are part time, and basically "free labor" for the Sheriff's Dept., but if they were going to be out there at all, the Sheriff's Dept needs to make sure they know the law.

2. The Sheriff will be going to the Marshall County Fair Board and speaking with them about this incident. They have no policy on firearms, and they need to be made aware of what their security is enforcing. If they desire to make a policy on firearms, they need to know what the law says, and make their policy clear to the public.

After discussing the incident, he asked what I carry, and what my line of work was. We continued a very informal and friendly chat, and parted amicably.

I have to say that I am satisfied with the response from the Marshall County Sheriff's Department. It's not that I am completely enthusiastic about the response, but I feel that it was handled adequately. I am not one to demand a "pound of flesh" when I am wronged. I see it like this: There was a problem because the officer was either misinformed or just chose to assert his opinion. The Sheriff's Dept was not aware that this officer was taking this action, and by my complaint, it has been brought to their attention. Once brought to their attention, they have implemented training to guard against this behavior happening again.

Others may have done things differently, but at the end of the day, I think we are all in a better position if the officers are trained properly. And that's what I was going for all along.

I would also like to insert here a big +1 to Chief Babcock. He seems like a very pro-gun and pro-rights guy, and I am fairly certain that he will make sure that no more officers are guilty of this type of behavior. As for the Reserve Officer, I am not sure what happened to him. But I am sure that he is now aware that we citizens will not tuck our tails between our legs and cower to an officer of the law who abuses his authority. Feel free to critique me and/or disagree with me, but it was my situation, and that's how I handled it.

*Note- I searched high and low, and it seems that the Fair Board is in fact a private organization, and it would be very difficult to prove that they are a political subdivision, so suing is out of the question. Besides that, I never wanted to "punish" anyone, but I was seeking to correct an improper action.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Handled in a professional manor good job. I think this outcome looks to be the best for everyone. We just have to wait and see what the fair board decides now.

PhilB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    Randolph Co.
    I've been following your other thread but haven't commented yet. Given the circumstances, you handled the situation just fine in my opinion. Sounds like the Chief and Sheriff took your complaint seriously and hopefully the situation won't be repeated. Thankyou for keeping all of us updated and for not letting an uninformed LE rep run over you. It's easy to critique after the fact but I'm not sure I could have done any better than you did.:yesway:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Handled in a professional manor good job. I think this outcome looks to be the best for everyone. We just have to wait and see what the fair board decides now.

Well that is an easy one. They are going to make a policy to BAN firearms at the fair. I'm 99% sure of it. :D

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    That's about as well as it could have been handled, if you ask me. Thanks for sharing, and keeping us informed. Sounds like the Sheriff and his Chief Deputy are stand-up gentlemen.

Sorry about contributing the to "derailment" in your original thread! Just killing time until your update..... :D

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Well that is an easy one. They are going to make a policy to BAN firearms at the fair. I'm 99% sure of it. :D
    Sure, but I'd rather have a known policy that I disagree with than some nebulous "what ever I say goes" policy created on the spur of the moment.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    IMHO- I think that you handled the situation very well. I guess the only thing that would have really made me feel good is if you, your wife and your son could go in and meet with the reserve officer who would then say that he was sorry for the way they were treated and tell your son that his dad was correct and that he (the police officer) was wrong.

Of course I know that is never going to happen.

rep to you

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    Great outcome. You're directly responsible for the implementation of training that will make several LEOs better officers. You should be very proud of that.

Guy

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    The OP sounds like a reasonable person on the way he handled his situation. But lets think about what has been accomplished and why. What it appears to have accomplished is the fair board now is likely going to make a policy on firearms. That could go either way. Lets say they decide to not allow firearms. Now the OP has forced a policy decision that is negative for persons that decide to carry. So we all loose. Had the OP been CC no one would have known,they would have avoided the entire ordeal. Out of sight out of mind.

I am NOT kicking on the OC thing. I am trying to understand it. I am also attempting to get guys to think about it with some common sense. I am afraid that as these OC encounters increase there will be legislation restricting OC. It is a drain on LE resources and causes discourse between LE and the citizens and between citizens themselves. Why and for what? We do not need anymore guns laws. Just something to think about.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    The OP sounds like a reasonable person on the way he handled his situation. But lets think about what has been accomplished and why. What it appears to have accomplished is the fair board now is likely going to make a policy on firearms. That could go either way. Lets say they decide to not allow firearms. Now the OP has forced a policy decision that is negative for persons that decide to carry. So we all loose. Had the OP been CC no one would have known,they would have avoided the entire ordeal. Out of sight out of mind.

I am NOT kicking on the OC thing. I am trying to understand it. I am also attempting to get guys to think about it with some common sense. I am afraid that as these OC encounters increase there will be legislation restricting OC. It is a drain on LE resources and causes discourse between LE and the citizens and between citizens themselves. Why and for what? We do not need anymore guns laws. Just something to think about.

If I'm not mistaken, you've been talking about "new legislation restricting OC" for quite some time. I'm not seeing it. In fact, I think we've made progress in the other direction.

If the Fair wants to restrict carry (and if it's private property), I say let them do it. At least we will know, and we'll be less likely to have boneheads exceeding their authority.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Well done and it sounds like thumbs up to the Sheriff and his deputy.

Indeed. Particularly the Sheriff. He could have drug his feet and generally been a pain, but instead he not only dealt with the issue at hand but also laid out a basic plan to prevent a future occurrence. We need more men like him!

Top Bottom