• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I want to get a new snow blower and need an opinion from owners on which is better, wheel or track driven. Homeowner who does the neighborhood sidewalks and some driveways for the family(need to keep the wife happy) along the way. Thanks for suggestions.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive never had a problem with my wheel driven unit. If you get wheel, I recommend two things:

get one with the axle disconnect to give you a differential of sorts. a real pain to maneuver sometimes with a straight axle.
    make sure you get one with METAL adjustable height skids. in my third season and already need to flip my plastic ones over because they are worn down from the pavement. I will be getting metal replacements.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Mine is wheel driven, straight axle. It is a pain to turn but goes through anything with ease. Definitely metal skids.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I am a HUGE fan of the Airens units. I have a wheel drive with an axle disconnect. It does a wonderful job.

I want to replace my 16 year old Ariens 524 snow blower with a new and improved model. Only maintenance I had to do is rebuild the carb 4-5 years ago and still runs great and the paint still looks like new. Dealer said it's worth between 400-500 dollars, not bad for my purchase of 780.00 back in 1999.

Last edited:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    What do you see as an improvement between your older unit and a new one? I bought my brother a brand new blower around 8 years ago as a housewarming gift. 2 years ago I gave him a unit that must be 25 years old to use at his business. He says the old unit fully kicks ass on the newer one. He said the older one has a locking diff which makes a world of difference and that it is just more solid and works better. Craigslist is full of old snowblowers for sale now. If it was me I would ride out the next few weeks and buy a good used one over the summer with more of an eye towards sturdy and durable construction rather than new bells and shinny paint. If you have a riding mower that will accept a snowblower you will kick yourself for not putting the blower on it sooner once you buy one

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    What do you see as an improvement between your older unit and a new one? I bought my brother a brand new blower around 8 years ago as a housewarming gift. 2 years ago I gave him a unit that must be 25 years old to use at his business. He says the old unit fully kicks ass on the newer one. He said the older one has a locking diff which makes a world of difference and that it is just more solid and works better. Craigslist is full of old snowblowers for sale now. If it was me I would ride out the next few weeks and buy a good used one over the summer with more of an eye towards sturdy and durable construction rather than new bells and shinny paint. If you have a riding mower that will accept a snowblower you will kick yourself for not putting the blower on it sooner once you buy one

Sitting on top of the fence and will finish this season with the I have now. Have a small city lot to cut and don't have a riding mower. Waiting to see the new models later this summer and get rid of the solid axle and pick up a larger engine.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Track drive tends to be slower then wheel driven, but I have had far fewer issues getting stuck in drifts, turning is pretty easy, no worries about having to air up a tire in the cold!

IMG_20140119_130215_zps8655e89b.jpg

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    I have an Ariens it is 6 years old works ok. I covet the Yamaha snowblowers but they aren't importing to states. Canada has them though.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    ABSOLUTELY worth getting the snow cab!!! My snow blower also has heated hand grips.
    When it is windy or the snow is more of a powder then the fluffy stuff, it keeps a lot of the snow from blowing right back into your face. It won't stop it completely from coming in, but so SO worth it.

Heated hand grips are good if you don't have thick insulated gloves. If you have the thicker insulated gloves, then you won't feel the heat from them.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    ABSOLUTELY worth getting the snow cab!!! My snow blower also has heated hand grips.
    When it is windy or the snow is more of a powder then the fluffy stuff, it keeps a lot of the snow from blowing right back into your face. It won't stop it completely from coming in, but so SO worth it.

Heated hand grips are good if you don't have thick insulated gloves. If you have the thicker insulated gloves, then you won't feel the heat from them.
    More info to see about getting for a new snow blower. I can't believe all the improvements on the new snow blowers were options back when I bought my in 1999.

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I had a snow cab, and I ended up taking it off. The snow would stick to it, freeze, and block my vision. Maybe others have a technique to prevent that from happening...I would be interested to hear how they deal with that.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Give a small tap with my hand. Haven't had it freeze except when it was -20ish a couple weeks ago.
    My driveway is 350' long, no way I am taking it off when it takes minimal of 4 round trips to clear it!
    Also takes about an hour or so for the average snow to clear my driveway/parking area at the end of the driveway and walk to the front porch. I then go to one of my neighbors and clear their driveway while I am at it. I spose if you are only out there for a fraction of the time I am (usually 2 hours minimal per snow fall w/neighbors house/fuel/running inside for breaks) it wouldn't be the worst thing not to have it.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    If you go with an Ariens be sure is has Auto-Turn. Auto-Turn keeps each wheel or track driving until the operator pushes on the handle bars to turn then the differential lets the inside wheel or track is automatically disengaged then reengages both wheels or tracks when the turn is completed. I have the Ariens 28" tracked Pro unit and it is easier to turn than a smaller wheeled unit without Auto-Turn.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVuRuHGZFeA

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    If you go with an Ariens be sure is has Auto-Turn. Auto-Turn keeps each wheel or track driving until the operator pushes on the handle bars to turn then the differential lets the inside wheel or track is automatically disengaged then reengages both wheels or tracks when the turn is completed. I have the Ariens 28" tracked Pro unit and it is easier to turn than a smaller wheeled unit without Auto-Turn.
    Ariens Auto Turn - YouTube
    Number one on my list. Thanks.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    I want to get a new snow blower and need an opinion from owners on which is better, wheel or track driven. Homeowner who does the neighborhood sidewalks and some driveways for the family(need to keep the wife happy) along the way. Thanks for suggestions.
    Tires with a set of chains. Track driven is cool and all...But a tire is a lot cheaper to replace than a track. Just one more thing to go wrong...IMO, of course.

The snow would stick to it, freeze, and block my vision. Maybe others have a technique to prevent that from happening...I would be interested to hear how they deal with that.
    Pull your hood up and wear a face mask and either sunglasses or clear safety glasses.

But then again, I only spend about an hour doing my drive and the drive for the elderly couple next door. And one quick pass around the cul-de-sac clearing the sidewalk. The other younger people on the block...are on their own. I think they all have either their own snow blower or teenage kids.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Tires with a set of chains. Track driven is cool and all...But a tire is a lot cheaper to replace than a track. Just one more thing to go wrong...IMO, of course.

No airing up a flat tire from junk being plowed into driveway from city/neighborhood plows. No need for a set of chains, harder for longer tracks to dig them selves in, less effort by user to push/pull stuck or slipping machine out.

Just experience from using both over the past 20 years or so.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I have a old full face motorcycle helmet that I wear when the wind is blowing. Mine is way oversize so I wear a warm hat underneath. It ads a bunch of insulation for your head and you can open and close the visor as needed. By the time you guys ad those big snow cabs you are taking up the spece of having a lawn tgractor with a blower on it.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    No airing up a flat tire from junk being plowed into driveway from city/neighborhood plows. No need for a set of chains, harder for longer tracks to dig them selves in, less effort by user to push/pull stuck or slipping machine out.

Just experience from using both over the past 20 years or so.

I just hate to fight with the machine slipping in the snow and like the idea of the track drive for more contact with the ground.

Top Bottom