• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I have done this before, if it's a guy..."BOB, IS THAT YOU?!?! Where in the world are you?? The last I heard the FBI was still looking for you!! I know they've tapped my phone so you really should think about hanging up before they get a trace!!" If a gal I just substitute "Sharon?!?! Where are you?? You husband was just here looking for you and MAN IS HE PISSED!! Said something about you and Steve and a motel?!?!" That usually stops any further calls.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I answer my unidentified or 1800 numbers with a greeting such as "Jacks Pizza can I take your order." That usually throws them off and they usually hang up, but if they don't hang up I'll try to take the order until they do hang up. With this method I don't usually get repeat calls.

I do this every day at the shop...... I know I'm on a brazzilian different call lists.
    Toll frees that ask for the owner are greeted with Bob's Tavern or Jim's Trucking.
    "Hello is this Printcraft?"
    "Sorry - This is Bob's! Do you want to hear todays specials?"

Even more fun is using a soundboard.... I have actually had someone carry on a conversation with Hank Hill.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I agree with the above.... we check the ID.. If it is a generic ID or something we don't immediately know, then we don't answer. It is true they never leave messages, and after a few attempts, some do not call back. Others are more persistant.
    Good luck!

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You know, it's not that difficult to just pick up the phone, find out who they are and tell them to put your number on their company's do-not-call list. They're required by law to honor that request.

You don't need to be a smart a**.

I used to represent a major university (not U of Phoenix) and you'd be amazed at the number of people who would inquire, ask us to call them, check the box indicating they understand they'll be called, and STILL be d-bags to the guy that wouldn't have ever called them if not for their request.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You know, it's not that difficult to just pick up the phone, find out who they are and tell them to put your number on their company's do-not-call list. They're required by law to honor that request.

You don't need to be a smart a**.

I used to represent a major university (not U of Phoenix) and you'd be amazed at the number of people who would inquire, ask us to call them, check the box indicating they understand they'll be called, and STILL be d-bags to the guy that wouldn't have ever called them if not for their request.

Well, yes there is at times with certain outfits. Have any of you gotten a call from "Credit card service" We have, constantly. I have no credit cards and haven't for 5 years. Paid off, cut up and cancelled. This is a scam operation off shore. I have spoken to "Haji" and requested removal from what ever list I am on. A week later, different number, same outfit. I have reported it to the authority's and that is a joke. It is a scam. Give no info.

SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Well, yes there is at times with certain outfits. Have any of you gotten a call from "Credit card service" We have, constantly. I have no credit cards and haven't for 5 years. Paid off, cut up and cancelled. This is a scam operation off shore. I have spoken to "Haji" and requested removal from what ever list I am on. A week later, different number, same outfit. I have reported it to the authority's and that is a joke. It is a scam. Give no info.

We don't own any credit cards, so we just hang up when the recording starts talking. As far as the other suggestions go, thank you, I appreciate them all. However, that only helps when you actually get to talk to a person. I haven't gotten to do that yet.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Just so you know, saying "remove me from your list" is meaningless. Sure, he'll remove you from the list, and then tomorrow morning they'll compile a new list, and you'll be right back on it. And calling from across the country to say "put my mom's number on your do-not-call list" also doesn't work because the requester is supposed to live at that number. This is all based on my memory from several years ago, but I think I'm correct.

Tell them to put you on their do-not-call list. That's entirely different. Document it and keep a log. If you do your job and have proof they're violating it, then you'll have something they can pursue. And the fine can be pretty hefty. You'll get much further than telling them without backing it up. The authorities don't often jump in and start investigations just because someone says something.

Companies Fined for Violating Do Not Call Rules - ABC News

Rascal Scooter Maker Fined $100,000 for Violating 'Do Not Call' Rule - DailyFinance

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

Red Tape - FTC rings up fines for 'Do Not Call' violations

Unwanted Telephone Marketing Calls | FCC.gov

Believe me. They WILL pursue it if you have something for them to pursue. But if you got Nigerian scammers calling you, then who the hell knows?

We don't own any credit cards, so we just hang up when the recording starts talking. As far as the other suggestions go, thank you, I appreciate them all. However, that only helps when you actually get to talk to a person. I haven't gotten to do that yet.

Think about that for a minute. Here, let me help. If they want money from you, eventually you're going to talk to a live person. It's hard to get people to pay a machine. You need a person on the phone to make it all work. *NOBODY* spends a dime over the phone without hearing from a live person how it will benefit them. Nobody.

Last edited:

deathfromafar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    I have been getting phone calls from 757-905-6416. No one is ever there, and after a few seconds the call disconnects. I did a google search, and it says the company is based in Virginia and is selling magazine subscriptions, and won't take no for an answer. I'm on the do not call list, and have no idea how these people got my phone number. Is anybody else getting these calls? Luckily at the moment they're not being very persistent...one call last week and one this week...I just hope they don't pick up their efforts!

there bastards are calling a lot of people, more complaints here, when I got an agent and asked to speak to a supervisor who was notified that I'm going to complain to Attorney General of VA, this is when I stopped getting calls

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Now, when "card services" calls, usually 3-4 per day, I just press "one" to indicate i want to take advantage of their offer, set the phone down, and walk away. In a few minutes, it starts its "beep beep beep beep" to show its off the hook and I hang it up.
    I might as well waste their time. My asking them to take me off their list has certainly wasted mine.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    As I said previously, "take me off your list" doesn't work. Ask to be put on their do-not-call list instead and keep a log of any further calls you receive. Report them to the FCC if they keep calling. But you'll have to have that log to get anywhere.

miguel's sister

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Red dot in a blue state
    I got a text message from some yahoo company yesterday morning at 05:00. :xmad: Anyone that knows me knows I'm a double diget girl. (Not really sociable until around 10:00 AM)

I'm not getting calls, I keep getting texts. I report it, usually it is the same number...to no avail.

Top Bottom