• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SockMonkey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have been getting phone calls from 757-905-6416. No one is ever there, and after a few seconds the call disconnects. I did a google search, and it says the company is based in Virginia and is selling magazine subscriptions, and won't take no for an answer. I'm on the do not call list, and have no idea how these people got my phone number. Is anybody else getting these calls? Luckily at the moment they're not being very persistent...one call last week and one this week...I just hope they don't pick up their efforts!

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Wait for them to leave a message. (Don't pick up the phone!)

For those of us with caller ID, let's screen 'em. If callers with toll-free numbers, or long distance numbers are willing to leave a message, it means you're either a customer, or friend and they've got something to share.

The same goes for local callers that ID with "Unknown Name," and you don't recognize the number, either.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Wait for them to leave a message. (Don't pick up the phone!)

They won't. It's an autodialer and it listens for someone speaking. If it doesn't hear anything (or detects an answering machine), it will hang up.

For those of us with caller ID, let's screen 'em. If callers with toll-free numbers, or long distance numbers are willing to leave a message, it means you're either a customer, or friend and they've got something to share.
    Caller-ID is ridiculously easy to spoof. All phone spammers spoof it. Unless you control the PBX that routes the incoming call (and you therefore have access to the ANI information), you can assume that the number you're seeing is forged.

The same goes for local callers that ID with "Unknown Name," and you don't recognize the number, either.
    That's about all you can go on. If it says "Unknown", don't answer.

You can build an at-home PBX using Asterix on an old PC with an FXO card to terminate the analog line and it costs next to nothing. This lets you do allllll kinds of interesting voicemail routing hell to incoming calls when you don't recognize the number. :evilangel:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If you know someone who you really hate, put their information on directbuy.com. I signed up for info about 2 years ago when we started building my house. They still call every once in awhile.

This is something that would have worked better back before you got to keep your cell number. Right before your contract ends, put that number on every high pressure sales crap you can find. The new owner of that number would really love you.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I got a bunch of calls from "withheld" over the weekend. One was just after 04:00 and another about 06:30 and the rest were scattered. I'd think it was someone who actually wanted to talk to me, but they never left voice mail.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Go to the boat store or your local sporting goods store. They sell a thing called an air horn. Pick up and wait till you get a person and then press button on said air horn.

It does work well to make people mad at the other side of the line.

If you have an answer machine and want to really mess with people find a disconnected or out of service number: record that message to your answering machine. I had to do that with an old Ex girlfriend as she wanted to start up stuff with the new girlfriend. It worked well since I told people to call and hang up then call right back and I would answer. (WAS back before the caller ID was in vogue)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Caller ID is your friend. I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the number.

Now, my wife can't bide the sound of a ringing phone...the rule in our house is if you answer it, you handle it. If they ask for me, the standing response is "he's not available. May I take a message". If its a salesman, it's followed up with "we're on the do not call list. Please do not call again or we'll report you. Thank you. Click"

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    I answer my unidentified or 1800 numbers with a greeting such as "Jacks Pizza can I take your order." That usually throws them off and they usually hang up, but if they don't hang up I'll try to take the order until they do hang up. With this method I don't usually get repeat calls.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why would you want to deafen some poor schlub making minimum wage? It's not bad enough that he has to work in a call center to feed his family?

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I answer the house phone in Korean...the wife no longer lets me answer the house phone:rockwoot:
    If it wasn't for the fax machine I would not have a landline...

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    When I still had a land-line I bought my Daughter a copy of Alicia Silverstone's phone from "Clueless" and it had several amusing features. I would answer and when they asked for the "man of the house" I would yell dad! and change the voice to the deep Satan voice and tell them to never call again. It worked pretty well.

Top Bottom