• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Removal of a passenger is within the airlines right... even if it is simply due to overselling, weight restrictions, or insubordination

Correct

From Fargo's cite in #58:
    Responding to the incident, the U.S. Department of Transportation said it is reviewing United’s “involuntary denied boarding” of the man, and whether United complied with consumer protections regulations, including its over-sales rule. “While it is legal for airlines to involuntary bump passengers from an oversold flight when there are not enough volunteers, it is the airline’s responsibility to determine its own fair boarding priorities,” the department said.

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    I guess what I go back to is this...

Every airline does this, every day...

Its never on Twitter.
    Not on the news.
    Not in INGO.

Until a person refuses, and when faced with authority, instead of complying, throws a fit and puts themselves in a predicament that will only end in removal from the aircraft.

Dont misunderstand me. This was a horrible incident, and UAL will pay for it. But there is a lot of anger over misinformation as well, because many folks suddenly become experts on these matters. Just like they became experts on dress code policy when those traveling on company benefits, didn't follow policy.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    When the pilot tells you to get off their plane, get off their plane. What kind of person would resist the removal like that? It sounded like a temper tantrum thrown by a child when they are dragged kicking and screaming from a toy store.

Seriously, who behaves like that? When the pilot tells you to split, split. When the police tell you to split, split. You're not a special snowflake unique in the world and able to get your way by shrieking and stamping your feet.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    It doesn't matter if you are seated... that is not a qualifier. This happens thousands of times each day... it's only news, because he threw a tantrum and the police were called. A lot of folks, have a lot of opinions, that are ill informed.

Indeed

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/business/united-flight-passenger-dragged.html

But involuntarily bumping passengers is rare. In 2016, United involuntarily denied boarding to 3,765 people, or 0.00004 percent of its more than 86 million passengers on oversold flights, according to the Transportation Department. An additional 62,895 people voluntarily gave up their seats.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I hate TSA and all the airlines.

TSA is a bunch of pedifiles, waste of tax payers money.

I would just assume drive 20hrs vs dealing with their crap.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I know that the airline is saying that and really really wants it to be so, but I'm still yet to see a cite giving them the authority to remove a passenger who has paid and been boarded so that their employees can fly. According to the article linked above, United's overbooking policies are now being reviewed by the federal government.

49 U.S. Code § 46504 - Interference with flight crew members and attendants

Current through Pub. L. 114-38. (See Public Laws for the current Congress.)
    US Code
    Notes
    Authorities (CFR)
    prev | next
    An individual on an aircraft in the special aircraft jurisdiction of the United States who, by assaulting or intimidating a flight crew member or flight attendant of the aircraft, interferes with the performance of the duties of the member or attendant or lessens the ability of the member or attendant to perform those duties, or attempts or conspires to do such an act, shall be fined under title 18, imprisoned for not more than 20 years, or both. However, if a dangerous weapon is used in assaulting or intimidating the member or attendant, the individual shall be imprisoned for any term of years or for life.
    (Pub. L. 103–272, § 1(e), July 5, 1994, 108 Stat. 1244; Pub. L. 107–56, title VIII, § 811(i), Oct. 26, 2001, 115 Stat. 382.)

This is a listing of three separate cases; assaulting or intimidating, interference with duties, or conspiring to interfere

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Well, maybe... but every airline has that policy. They are trying to create the least amount of disruption to commerce through removing several passengers. Typically it happens before they are boarded, but sometimes afterward during irregular ops.

Funny how it was a non issue for the other passengers removed... weird.

Also funny how those now quoted in the media as so sympathetic to the 'Dr's' need to travel did not volunteer their seat for him. I place 'Dr' in quotes because I am now seeing some print speculation that he was in fact lying about this, though nothing definitive

Oh, also from : https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/10/business/united-flight-passenger-dragged.html

Then the United employee went to a man five rows behind Mr. Bridges and told him he needed to get off the plane. Mr. Bridges said the man told the employee: “I’m not getting off the plane. I’m a doctor; I have to see patients in the morning.”

Mr. Hobart said: “We explained the scenario to the customer. That customer chose not to get out of his seat.”

The United employee then told the man that if he did not get off the plane, she would call security. As she turned to leave, the man shouted after her, Mr. Bridges said. Specifically, he said, the passenger complained that he had been singled out because he was Chinese.

The obligatory complaint of racism

Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Racism... and he is a doctor. It's a fact, airlines hate doctors and the Chinese. Especially Chinese doctors wearing leggings, flying as non-revs

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not that I have seen. The chatter that he isn't a doctor is pure speculation from what I see, but the only evidence I can find that he is a doctor is his own assertion to that effect

Top Bottom