• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • soljah777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Unique is a good powder but it is not economical for use is 12ga loads. It is better used for 20ga loads or for use with your 9mm. just my :twocents:

swbster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Thanks for the feedback. When I compare Red Dot, Green Dot and Unique, - shotguns(12 and 20) Unique seems to be the only cross over into the 9mm. Maybe I should not try and kill all the birds with one stone.

Last edited:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I tried 50 rounds of Unique when I couldn't find any Universal last fall. You can have what's left for $15 (~0.94 pounds). I can't get it to meter with any repeatability.

For 9mm also look at Universal, HS-6, No5, No7, Power Pistol.

dbd870

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    It struck me as a pretty dirty powder, but I haven't used it for a long time and I've heard it's not as bad now.:dunno:

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Hodgon Clays powder

Use this in shotgun and in 9mm and other pistol rounds. Very clean burning compared to many other powders.

bobn911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Unique. I also have used it for 12ga. but I liked green dot better. I also use a Lyman DPS3 for dispensing the powder so I don't have any problems metering it. Hope that helps. Later, Bob

jimbojr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    SE MI
    It struck me as a pretty dirty powder, but I haven't used it for a long time and I've heard it's not as bad now.:dunno:

Yep very dirty but if you don't mind cleaning go for it.

I've been getting ready to do some reloading and been looking at what powder is a versital unique and blue dot is what I'm leaning to try.
    But winchester 231 and 296 are very nice and might go that route for the extra 20 and get both.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I am one of the odd ones in that I actually enjoy shooting with Unique - love the smell and the ability to have basically 1 powder for the majority of my reloading (handgun and shotgun). Other powders might be better, but there is certainly nothing "wrong" with Unique.
    The best shooting load I have for my Puma in .454 is a unique load - deadly accurate without hurting the shooter.
    Good luck with whatever you choose - in these times, the ability to streamline your supply with diverse components is a good move.

clelaj

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indy - North
    I am new reload and yesterday shot my first loads. Both with Unique and 158gr lswc. 38 spl at 4.3 gr and 357 at 5.7 gr. Both mid level loads from Speer and Lyman manuals. Both shot very accurate, consistant. The 357 was smokey but had a nice bump to the recoil so you knew you shot. I am hooked on reloading now.

bigmedicine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood
    I am glad you are hooked - I am a firm believer that being a reloader makes you a better shooter in the long run. Why? Because most people end up shooting more and learning more. I think you will be amazed at the cost savings over time as well.
    Good luck and enjoy!

I am hooked on reloading now.

Top Bottom