• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Last time i checked union dues couldn't be used on political contributions P.A.C. funds which are voluntary are used for that .

I'm told my union dues can't be used for direct political contributions. However, what about indirect contributions? You raise everyone's unions due to fund a union hall. The union then rents the hall and that money gets put into a separate account. Can that type of money then be donated to political parties? That is the question I always have.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Buddy , I work for a maintainence company that is nonunion and I have been in many union shops to repair their equip.

The amount lazy I have been witness to is nothing short of amazing.

Amazing in the fact that I don't know how some of these companys survive , and indeed some haven't.

I worked salaried at a UAW GM facility for 20 years. Yup, some were lazy, but that in hourly (union) and salaried, and even (Heaven forbid) contract.

BTW, I was a Teamster back in college, that was tough even on a young spine, being a dockworker. No screwing around there, it was go go go all the time.

Now I work at a union foundry, pretty tough gig. Seen many a newhire bail. It aint that bad, but you can't be a wimp about it. Repetitive motion injury, lifting, burns, heat, oil and lube in the air you breathe.............it's dirty hot work. And even at union scale, the pay aint super duper.

Worry about GMO foods? Forget that nonsense, the dirty air will kill you probably as soon as you hit retirement age, screw what OSHA says is "OK".

It's work, and many folks who thought it a gravy train (like outside support people who got hired as hourly) couldn't cut it. Some salaried from other places came in, and bailed. Pretty funny.

Bottom line: A union won't make a person lazy, or make them a good worker. You either have the proper work ethic inside of you, or you don't.

Don't fall for the union leadership stereotype.

Many a union worker does their job, and keeps their mouth shut because they are a conservative/republican (at least in Indiana).

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Why would a guy do that if there wasn't a light (or carrot) at the end of the tunnel?

Wife, kids, bills.

Just because a person takes a job, that doesn't mean they plan on staying there.

Tuition assistance is available in some union places. There may be opportunities for other jobs/promotions to other classifications (some hourlies go to salaried positions). And some Tier 2 may go to Tier 1 wage, if there is language to do so in the contract.

Hard to believe, but some folks would rather work and earn their paycheck, rather than take a gov handout. I've seen it.

HmDBrian

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    valparaiso
    Man, Grunt, did you walk in on a union member/members drilling your old lady or what? You are one persistent man to bash unions. For every bad union thread you post, it could be followed by many many more non union work issues.

So, I must ask why the hate? You mad you cant pass the workkeys tests to get in? I must know, what is it that makes you so persistent on the union hate, not saying you should be pro union, you can feel however you want about whatever, but why bash us?

Also, may I ask what you do for a living? I will start posting 1neg for 1neg with you.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Tuition assistance is available in some union places. There may be opportunities for other jobs/promotions to other classifications (some hourlies go to salaried positions). And some Tier 2 may go to Tier 1 wage, if there is language to do so in the contract.

Right. Previously you made it sound like all of these guys were working their butts off for peanuts. What I was getting at was there are rewards for working your butt off.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Like anywhere, you don't want to be a standout, either at the top or bottom ;)
    (no good deed or work goes unpunished).

The biggest "carrot" (like you spoke of) is probably the promise of being able to attain full wage over time.

Retirement/transfer/firing/death rates..................IMHO only the earliest of newhires will see that (if it happens at all).

Last edited:
    Top Bottom