• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That would be up to debate. You are either NOT in a "State of Intoxication" or you ARE in a "State of Intoxication". Being "in a STATE" does not give limits to be above or below.

One "drink" of whiskey would put me into a GREAT state of "intoxication" (have never drank) While my grandfather would have never noticed that you had removed his glass of water until the 3rd drink!

a 1oz to 1.5 oz shot of alcohol, even high proof stuff like Everclear, would not bring you to a state of intoxication. (Unless there were underlying physiological considerations to worry about)

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    a 1oz to 1.5 oz shot of alcohol, even high proof stuff like Everclear, would not bring you to a state of intoxication. (Unless there were underlying physiological considerations to worry about)

Isn't that based solely on YOUR definition of "intoxication"? :dunno:

Not trying to argue (even though that is a major hobby of mine).....just define.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008

Not trying to argue (even though that is a major hobby of mine).....just define.

Intoxication: to change one's psychological state by having consumed an intoxicant

Speaking of drinking, it's (generally) a function of volume consumed over time vs. body mass. (other substances can, will, and do work differently)

If you're an 80lb person, then perhaps yes, 1.5oz of high proof alcohol could cause intoxication.

The average US male, though... It isn't going to happen. Doesn't matter if that person drinks a 12 pack of beer a day or hasn't ever had anything in their life. It's still a function of volume vs body mass.

I suspect that one could "hide" alcohol in a beverage for you and A) you wouldn't know, and B) there wouldn't be any detectible changes in your psychological state.

Now, being "under the influence" is a different animal - especially when it comes to operating a MV.

the Indiana Code is quite simple in it's scope. I think that the only way we have to define "intoxication" would be a threshold level determined by BAC?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

IC 9-13-2-86
    Intoxicated
    Sec. 86. "Intoxicated" means under the influence of:
    (1) alcohol;
    (2) a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1);
    (3) a drug other than alcohol or a controlled substance;
    (4) a substance described in IC 35-46-6-2 or IC 35-46-6-3; or
    (5) a combination of substances described in subdivisions (1) through (4);
    so that there is an impaired condition of thought and action and the loss of normal control of a person's faculties.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.175-2001, SEC.1; P.L.151-2006, SEC.4.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    IC 9-13-2-86
    Intoxicated
    Sec. 86. "Intoxicated" means under the influence of:
    (1) alcohol;
    (2) a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1);
    (3) a drug other than alcohol or a controlled substance;
    (4) a substance described in IC 35-46-6-2 or IC 35-46-6-3; or
    (5) a combination of substances described in subdivisions (1) through (4);
    so that there is an impaired condition of thought and action and the loss of normal control of a person's faculties.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.175-2001, SEC.1; P.L.151-2006, SEC.4.

"so that there is an impaired condition of thought and action and the loss of normal control of a person's faculties."

As stated prior "Isn't that based solely on YOUR definition of "intoxication"?" That of the officer/witnesses????

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    "so that there is an impaired condition of thought and action and the loss of normal control of a person's faculties."

As stated prior "Isn't that based solely on YOUR definition of "intoxication"?" That of the officer/witnesses????

It is based are inarticulatable facts that would lead a reasonable person to believe that said person was suffering from an impaired condition of thought and action and the loss of normal control of a person's faculties. It is in the details. It is not enough to say that they appeared impaired but rather one must list the reasons WHY that conclusion was drawn.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    It is based are inarticulatable facts that would lead a reasonable person to believe that said person was suffering from an impaired condition of thought and action and the loss of normal control of a person's faculties. It is in the details. It is not enough to say that they appeared impaired but rather one must list the reasons WHY that conclusion was drawn.

I agree! Based on YOUR definition of "inarticulatable facts". Whether it is a reasonable conclusion would be determined later by a lawyer, jury, judge.

Top Bottom