• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pwnisher17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    So basically I'm 20 and I was looking to purchase a handgun for ccw come tax time. I want a g30 a g32 or an other like gun. But anyway my question is How can I purchase a gun in Indiana, I know I can buy from a private seller but what about the internet?

FortWayneGunfighter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2012
    The desert...
    So basically I'm 20 and I was looking to purchase a handgun for ccw come tax time. I want a g30 a g32 or an other like gun. But anyway my question is How can I purchase a gun in Indiana, I know I can buy from a private seller but what about the internet?
    to the best of my understanding of the law as long as its a private sale from one individual to another its legal but, however if you have a felony or any other serious crimes then you may not so if it were me selling the pistol i would ask for proof you do not have any criminal past if i am wrong i have no doubt someone will set us both strait:twocents:

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Anything purchased from the internet from another state, the transfer has to be done through an FFL, since that is the case you will not be able to purchase it because dealers require the transfer to be to someone 21 y/o. Now if you find something on the internet locally from an individual and the deal is done FTF,then you do not have to be 21

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I think........ If you ship a handgun it must go through a FFL dealer. If your a FFL dealer you must be 21 to purchase a hand gun in Indiana..

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me...

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Exactly what Audie said. If it involves an FFL, Indiana Code says you cannot buy it.

If it's an individual sale, with no FFL involved, you can buy. Keep in mind though, you cannot buy handgun ammunition while you are under 21 either.

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    As stated in previous posts, you cannot buy a handgun from an FFL dealer until you are 21. This includes purchasing online and transferring through an FFL dealer. However, you are free (as long as you are not a convicted felon, domestic batterer, or have been adjudicated as mentally deficient) to purchase a handgun from an individual sale.

The other option you have is to have your parents buy a gun for you. This is perfectly legal, and is not considered a straw purchase. My father bought me a pistol for work when I was your age.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    u can carry a gun, but u cant buy a handgun or handgun ammo. thats the law to the best of my knowledge.

Please do some serious reading on this board and the Indiana Codes. Almost everything there is wrong.

You can carry a gun *if* you have your License To Carry Handgun (LTCH). As noted above, you can buy in a private sale, but not from a dealer between 18 and 20. You also cannot buy handgun ammo legally until you are 21.

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Definitive answer: You can buy a handgun in a private sale from a private individual if you're 18 years of age. You can not purchase a handgun from a licensed dealer. Any internet transfer must go through an FFL holder, which means that it's a no-go at your age, unfortunately.

If the state of Indiana has issued you an SF 40607, License to Carry Handgun, then you may carry it on your person as you see fit after age 18.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    The other option you have is to have your parents buy a gun for you. This is perfectly legal, and is not considered a straw purchase. My father bought me a pistol for work when I was your age.

Actually, this IS considered a straw purchase.

If the parent purchases a firearm for the use of the youth in their presence, and they retain possession of the firearm and regulate it's use, then it's legal.

If the parent purchases the firearm and passes the firearm off to the youth for his or her own possession without supervision or contained control, in accordance to the 4473, question 11.a, there is a felony being committed on the part of the parent.

Please be aware of this.

Taylor1911

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    indianapolis
    To sum it up unless u buy it from another individual that isn't a dealer ur screwed lol but I buy guns from others all the time just need to be smart about it and ask a lot of question and have a bill of sale

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010

If the parent purchases a firearm for the use of the youth in their presence, and they retain possession of the firearm and regulate it's use, then it's legal.

If the parent purchases the firearm and passes the firearm off to the youth for his or her own possession without supervision or contained control, in accordance to the 4473, question 11.a, there is a felony being committed on the part of the parent.

Please be aware of this.

So you're trying to say that a gift of a firearm is a felony? Got a cite to a statute that suggests that?

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    What happens if the 18yr old desires a different handgun, and trades a "Mom"purchased handgun to another 18yr old? It seems that by doing a private purchase(not ffl) he is legal, but also seems illegal since "Mom" is still the owner(over 21)who is allowing the trade? Mom may be not law astute, but giving sonny the handgun, in the first place, still sounds like a straw purchase. I think Mom isn't in control anymore.
    My purchases from FFLs always ask"Who is the Purchaser", and" state of residency". What if the "Mom" doesn't know sonny traded it to a friend from Chicago? Big mess. No LTCH either, arrest possible for carrying handgun! With LTCH: Gray area, but carry is lawful.
    I think the 21yr old law may also be to add maturity to the ownership. Don't take this wrong, a lot of 18yr olds are very responsible, some..?
    My Dad allowed hunting and target shooting rifles and shotguns, no handguns. We had a small farm, can't recall ever a visit by the Sheriff for anything. Our "range" was a 3 acre cornfield. Maybe he understood the liability of handguns, and young sons.(Dad was a USN vet, Gunners Mate/Rate in WW2)
    These days seem like quicksand, ready to pull you under if not careful.

Last edited:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have been asked a couple times at walmart when buying ammo for my 357 lever action if its for a rifle or a handgun. I asked if it made a difference and they told me that if I said it was for a handgun I would need to be 21 but if i told them it was for a rifle I only needed to be 18. :dunno:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    FFLs are restricted from transferring or selling handguns or handgun ammunition to anyone under 21.

Non-FFLs are only restricted from selling/gifting these to anyone under 18. ( A few states have raised that age restriction for their residents.)

Parents/guardians have more exceptions to those restrictions.

Buy a handgun and/or ammo legally from any Indiana non-FFL you like.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog

Please be aware of this.

So when my dad bought me a pistol 2o+ years ago and gave it to me for my 19th birthday he committed a felony straw purchase?

pwnisher17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    So I could buy one from the classified adds on this site? So long as the person was OK with it? And yes I agree most 18 year olds don't need a gun but I want one for what the 2nd amendment intended for, protecting ourselves our families our friends and our liberty.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So I could buy one from the classified adds on this site? So long as the person was OK with it? And yes I agree most 18 year olds don't need a gun but I want one for what the 2nd amendment intended for, protecting ourselves our families our friends and our liberty.

If you become a site supporter or get 50 quality posts and find someone willing to sell to you, yes you can.

pwnisher17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    How do I become a site supporter? And when quality posts is that just obtaining 50 posts or being "thanked "

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    How do I become a site supporter? And when quality posts is that just obtaining 50 posts or being "thanked "

Ah grasshapper, you have asked the right question. This is a gun forum that also has a for sale section and not primarily a "for sale" forum like Armslist. As such, the management has put in place some rules to discourage hit-and-run buyers who grab deals before the regulars and/or sellers ripping off the members. This is the 50 post/site supporter rule. It actually works pretty well.

You might want to read this section about the 50 post rule and this info about becoming a site supporter. The idea is that you have to contribute to the forum in one way or another before you can get access to the for sale area. Don't try to post a bunch of junk to rush to the classifieds. It's been tried many times before and isn't welcome. :ingo:

Top Bottom