• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    Regardless if he got permission 35 years ago or last year, you still should get yearly permission or at least make sure someone aware of your intent to hunt the property, purely out of respect to the land owner. I know compared to some of you guys I'm a youngin, but what happend to respect this day in age?

Gibster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Boone County
    Ya gotta watch blow hard relatives

Dad, brother and I went to rabbit/quail hunt and then cut fire wood on our 110 acre farm which was 100 miles from our home. Parked the car, got gear on and started down the lane past the barn and found a truck parked/hidden behind it. Heard a beagle bawlin' on the far side of 50 acre field. Started hunting a fence row and working in that direction.

A beagle chased a rabbit right to us (1/4 mile from other hunters). My little brother (14) took a shot but missed. They came toward us then, pissed because we shot at their rabbit being chased by their dog.

They said they had permission from the land owner. Dad knew he hadn't given anyone permission so he figured one of the adjacent property owners had and they just got onto our farm by mistake. Dad mentioned the names of all the surrounding property owners including our name, but they didn't know any of them.

As it turned out, a distant cousin of Dads (different last name) who lived in town 20 miles away had given these buddys of his permission to hunt as though it was his farm. You know the type.

My Dad had bought the farm 10 years before from an aunt they had in common.

Dad told them they were lucky as my brother and I weren't trained in proper shot selection when hunting with a dog ie, what if the rabbit would have been running straight towards him. We never used a dog.

They left after a few more words were exchanged. Hope those guys made Dads cousin wear at lot of egg on the face after that.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Chased out 2 this afternoon. We are cutting beans across them road from them woods. I did take my M-forgery in. the woods to talk with them though...

Turns out ones of their Chrysler buddies told them it's his place and pond, they could hunt or fish it whenever they liked. They said they would explain property to him on their next shift....

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    I've been dealing with trespassers for years and HATE them. There's very few explanations for trespassing. I keep nice trails in my woods and am constantly running off atv's. The last confrontation I had, the girl(20's), said in a *****y voice "well there ARE trails here." Some people have no respect.

bigo334

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Greenfield
    I don't own land, but I like to hunt but I haven't been in almost 5 years because people always beat me to getting permission and I've had a weird work schedule for a couple of years. That said I've see big bucks in fields and on the edge of woods and never once thought about going on someone else's land with out permission to get a deer. Not even my girlfriends grandpas who owns about 70 acres of unhunted land. One it's disrespectful and two some one might shoot you if the catch you. I'm just not that ballsy or dumb. Sad to hear that people are like that.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i live on family land (i dont personally own it but there is 90 acres there that i have been personally told to use as i wish). I have had to run out a few people because of just sheer stupidity like tearing up the ground and running loud quads at 2 am and such. Not too many problems with hunters because we all have the open land surrounded but there are some every so often.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My wife was moving our tractor around, and a truck appeared in our driveway. She jumped off and approached the truck, and the driver noticed she had my shoulder rig w/ my S&W M10 revolver. He politely asked about hunting, she said that would have to ask me first.

After walking in to the foyer of the house, I walked out the front door, and asked if the guys had a license to hunt? No license. Told them to go to town and get a license, and come back we'll work out an arrangement. "Like what?" they asked. I could use a hand baling hay, or loading trucks, or servicing the tractors/trucks. Both said "no thanks" and left politely. Go shoot at someone else's livestock then. Maybe seein the wife totin a revolver? No one lately has been visiting.

stationhollow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    by the river
    get that land logged itll be more cover for the trespassers to hide in then you can go to church in peace. as long as there is land their will always be trespassers. i think it started round 1492.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    It's a big problem, and a pesky one that doesn't go away. A few years back me and a buddy had a deer lease. Beautiful land, but we were always chasing deer and duck hunters out of there. We called the CO once one some guys blasting ducks. Not only were they trespassing, they were over the bag limit big time. The CO had a good time with them that morning. They did not come back, probably a little tied up in court. Unfortunately, most of them never get caught.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county
    Alright lets clear the air here. We have owned this property well over 35 years. I have worked for this farm for 20 yrs and managed the properties for 15 yrs. I have over 100 hundred ppl hunting on 12000 acres. I have ppl in every woods we own. I am by no means new. I dont put up with stupid ppl. Period. Im in close contact with the conservation officers. I have a permit system that is above and beyond. Church was great and I did nothing beyond my duty. If you dealt with ppl on a daily basis as I do in these situations you would understand. Was I rude? No. Blunt and to the point yes. They got the message. Next time will be worse. You dont just trespass, its wrong.

Not wanting to be a smart aZZ but with all the property and permission you own and give slips out, how is it that from 300yards away you knew they didn't have permission? or are we to assume you check every person you see on all your properties to make sure they have a permission slip? sounds like a lot of working checking hunters daily until you start to recognize them
    Just wondering

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    Not wanting to be a smart aZZ but with all the property and permission you own and give slips out, how is it that from 300yards away you knew they didn't have permission? or are we to assume you check every person you see on all your properties to make sure they have a permission slip? sounds like a lot of working checking hunters daily until you start to recognize them
    Just wondering

Each hunter has a piece of paper (permit) that I give them that is to be placed in their car window when they are on our property they also get a laminated card to carry on them. I also carry a list of all license plate numbers. I didnt check the car when I went back to see who they were but I know who is in what woods and there is only 2 people allowed in that woods. Size of the huntable ground is how I determine how many will hunt it. I knew as soon as I saw them they did not have permission. Each person is required to read the rules before they sign the permit and know the consequences if they do not follow them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Each hunter has a piece of paper (permit) that I give them that is to be placed in their car window when they are on our property they also get a laminated card to carry on them. I also carry a list of all license plate numbers. I didnt check the car when I went back to see who they were but I know who is in what woods and there is only 2 people allowed in that woods. Size of the huntable ground is how I determine how many will hunt it. I knew as soon as I saw them they did not have permission. Each person is required to read the rules before they sign the permit and know the consequences if they do not follow them.

I don't let people hunt my property. Much less headaches.

Lonnie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Hamilton county

Ok thanks

Top Bottom