Uh-oh. Not a good sign for the brand new LCP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    I bought an LCP this past Sunday. Brought it home and ran 120 rounds through it. I experienced a little of what you are. When chambering a round I expected it to act like my Glocks..... Pull the slide back, let go, and the slide slams home and chambers a round. That didn't happen. I had to bump the slide with my hand to get it to go into battery. Each mag. But it never failed to fire, eject, or chamber the next round when fired. I just figure it needs more rounds through it to get it loosened up..... And I'll probably polish the feed ramps also. But I was really happy with the little guy otherwise. Pretty accurate.

I ran 100 rounds of FMJ and twenty hollow points.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I bought an LCP this past Sunday. Brought it home and ran 120 rounds through it. I experienced a little of what you are. When chambering a round I expected it to act like my Glocks..... Pull the slide back, let go, and the slide slams home and chambers a round. That didn't happen. I had to bump the slide with my hand to get it to go into battery. Each mag. But it never failed to fire, eject, or chamber the next round when fired. I just figure it needs more rounds through it to get it loosened up..... And I'll probably polish the feed ramps also. But I was really happy with the little guy otherwise. Pretty accurate.

I ran 100 rounds of FMJ and twenty hollow points.

Glad I'm not the only one who experienced a similar problem. I am going to run 100 rounds of FMJ and a box of Hydra-shoks through it today as well.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Glad I'm not the only one who experienced a similar problem. I am going to run 100 rounds of FMJ and a box of Hydra-shoks through it today as well.

As been noted, if you don't just slingshot the slide it'll not go into battery as well. Most guns are like this but the smaller guns are way more prone to it. Try pulling the slide back fast and letting your fingers slide off of it rather than just releasing it consciously. Keep the gun pointed at a safe backstop of course :D

Boiler74

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010

I would also suggest putting the little mag extension on. It give firmer grip for your ring finger.

SouthBendIN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    South Bend
    This happened the first time I racked the slide to my LCP as well. Even after the initial cleaning. Anyway, when I racked the slide the first maybe 7 mags through it you could tell the first round would chamber a little rough. It got smoother and smoother and now everything is just fine.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    **UPDATE:**

Took the LCP out to the range today. Ran 100 rounds of WWB FMJs through it. Not a single hiccup. No FTF, no FTE, nothing. And I was running magazine after magazine.

Also fired some of the Hydra-Shoks, which were causing the problem last night when I was trying to chamber a round/manually cycle, and the Hydra-Shoks ran flawlessly as well. :)

I am very pleased with the results, obviously. I am disappointed in myself for getting bent out of shape before getting the chance to truly test out the gun.

On a side note, I was amazed at how accurate the LCP is (although I was cheating with the Crimson Trace a bit) at 7-8 yards.

Anyway, that's the update, the pistol is running just as smoothly/reliably as my other pistols.

Thanks again for all of the feedback from everyone who chimed in with thoughts! I really learned a lot, especially regarding the LCP.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I find that at 50' I can do with my LCP almost as well as I can with my Glock 20 10mm. I can barely see the sights, but it fits my hand so well that I can maintain a 6" circle.

Glad to hear you're happier with it. It and the KelTec P3AT are great little pocket guns.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I find that at 50' I can do with my LCP almost as well as I can with my Glock 20 10mm. I can barely see the sights, but it fits my hand so well that I can maintain a 6" circle.

Glad to hear you're happier with it. It and the KelTec P3AT are great little pocket guns.

Thank you.

Wow that is pretty impressive. I did not get a chance to wind it out that far today. I tried just using the sights alone for a few mags, but it is hard not to pay attention to the shiny red dot.

ElsiePeaRN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    Eastern Indiana
    I'm a little late to the party, sorry! I think it is recommended that you fire 200+ rounds of full metal jacket to break in the pistol before firing JHPs. This helps smooth out the feed ramp and helps prevent the edges of the JHP catching on the feed ramp. I've heard a number of people have difficulty with the hydrashocks not feeding during the break-in period, but some say they work fine after that ramp is smoothed out by the FMJs. An alternative that some people do is to use a dremel tool to polish the feed ramp. I am told that the firing the 200+ FMJs takes care of this.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I'm a little late to the party, sorry! I think it is recommended that you fire 200+ rounds of full metal jacket to break in the pistol before firing JHPs. This helps smooth out the feed ramp and helps prevent the edges of the JHP catching on the feed ramp. I've heard a number of people have difficulty with the hydrashocks not feeding during the break-in period, but some say they work fine after that ramp is smoothed out by the FMJs. An alternative that some people do is to use a dremel tool to polish the feed ramp. I am told that the firing the 200+ FMJs takes care of this.

Better late than never. :) That is helpful to know. I mixed in some Hydra-Shoks after 50 rounds of WWB FMJ and encountered no feeding problems, fortunately. I'll probably put another 100 FMJs through it before I fire any more JHPs.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom