Uh-oh. Not a good sign for the brand new LCP?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Uh-oh. Not a good sign for the brand new LCP? (Updated 2/16)

**UPDATE:** (See also Post #28)

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Took the LCP out to the range today. Ran 100 rounds of WWB FMJs through it. Not a single hiccup. No FTF, no FTE, nothing. And I was running magazine after magazine.

Also fired some of the Hydra-Shoks, which were causing the problem last night when I was trying to chamber a round/manually cycle, and the Hydra-Shoks ran flawlessly as well. :)

I am very pleased with the results, obviously. I am disappointed in myself for getting bent out of shape before getting the chance to truly test out the gun.

On a side note, I was amazed at how accurate the LCP is (although I was cheating with the Crimson Trace a bit) at 7-8 yards.

Anyway, that's the update, the pistol is running just as smoothly/reliably as my other pistols.

Thanks again for all of the feedback from everyone who chimed in with thoughts! I really learned a lot, especially regarding the LCP.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Just picked up my first "pocket" gun today: a brand new Ruger LCP equipped from the factory with the Crimson Trace laser (never had a laser before, the jury is still out on the laser at the moment). Thanks to Ed (?) at Bradis for helping me out!

Anyway, I got some Federal Hydra-shoks as well.

I decided to load up the magazine in order to see if the gun would properly feed a round into the chamber. Using an overhand grip, finger outside the trigger guard (obviously), and pointing the weapon in a safe direction, I pulled back the slide and let it go, expecting to chamber a round flawlessly. FAILURE.

The first round failed to chamber, got hung up, and the slide failed to go into battery. I gave the bottom of the magazine a firm TAP and voila, slide into battery and first round in chamber.

I then tried to manually cycle the remaining rounds (6). First round ejected when I manually cycled. Second round ejected. Third round - FAILURE to feed into chamber. Again, had to tap the magazine to allow the slide into battery. Ugh. :xmad:

I cleared the weapon and emptied the magazine. Started over.

This time, I double-checked to make sure the magazine was inserted properly and fully locked into place. Again, tried to chamber the first round. FAILURE. At this point, I am pretty disappointed.

Not only was the first round consistently failing to chamber, but the slide was hard as hell to rack. It seemed like it was sticking at the halfway point when I was pulling it back.

I said screw this (in a more colorful manner). I field stripped the gun, found a whole hell of a lot of grease smothering the innards of the pistol, and gave it a THOROUGH wipedown and cleaning.

Loaded a magazine, inserted it properly into the pistol, attempted to chamber a round and magically, the slide action was considerably smoother and the round chambered flawlessly. I was able to easily manually cycle all six rounds through the gun.

What was the deal here? Any thoughts?

At this point, I'm not looking forward to taking it to the range to put some FMJs through it, as I'm anticipating a slew of headaches.

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Seems pretty obvious it was the grease. I always clean a new gun so I never had this problem when I had an LCP.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Seems pretty obvious it was the grease. I always clean a new gun so I never had this problem when I had an LCP.

I hope you are right my friend. The date on the spent round contained within the box was 1/10/11, so this is a pretty brand-spanking-new pistol.

As an aside, I fired one hundred rounds through my Glocks, 1911s, and Sigs (which came dripping wet) and had no issues with those out of the box, no-cleaning. I had a feeling I was going to need to clean the LCP, however.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    I'm just hoping that there is not some kind of flaw with the pistol that is causing the round to hang up. Oh well, just have to head to the range now for further investigation.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I'm just hoping that there is not some kind of flaw with the pistol that is causing the round to hang up. Oh well, just have to head to the range now for further investigation.

I would not worry too much yet until you get it to the range and run some ammo through it. It could also just be that it does not like that particular kind of HP ammo. The HP could be getting caught up on the feed ramp. Are there any marks on the feed ramp that looks like it may have dug in there? Did you try that function test with any FMJ ammo? I would not worry yet though.

Koukalaka

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Madison County
    It's been my experience that this sort of thing is common with most pocket autos (the Kahr PM9 being an exception--I never had a failure of any kind with that gun, though the price tag was pretty steep). I do clean anything really small before first firing it (gotta admit I don't always do that with larger pistols), and I've learned to keep small pistols like my NAA Guardian extremely clean.

I believe some of the manufacturers recommend 150-300 rounds be fired before relying on their pistols. I guess that's just realistic. But it does add something to the up-front cost of a firearm. This is one reason I like revolvers...with a new Smith J-frame, once you've fired half a box of ammo, you've pretty well established the gun's basic mechanical reliability, and have a good feel for point of impact and recoil. I just did this yesterday with a new 442. But with a .380, by the time you fire 300 rounds to break it in, you may end up spending half the cost of the gun itself just on ammo. Revolvers can fail too, particularly if they're abused or extremely dirty, but a failure with a reasonably clean undamaged J-frame seems pretty unlikely.

Of course, firing through 300 rounds isn't necessarily a bad thing either. Most of us probably don't practice as much as we should. Especially if a given firearm is a BUG rather than a primary carry, it can be hard to convince yourself to go out and spend 25-30 bucks on a box of good self-defense ammo for practice.

Years ago, I bought an Arsenal "Makarov" in .380 in Minnesota. At the time, our local Wal-Mart had mislabeled the price on .380 Silvertips, and they were selling for $7.50 for a box of 50 rounds. I actually went through a fair bit of that stuff just for practice and plinking. I wish I'd bought 100 boxes and stashed them away...I really could have cashed in in the past few years when the pocket .380s have become so popular and when the ammo became scarce!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Not only could it have been the heavy grease but semi auto pistols need to be broke in, you should go out and put a min of a couple hundred rounds though it before you start to carry it for self defense!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have had several small pistols including the LCP which is now an EDC, and all have required a couple of hundred rounds to break in and become reliable. Shoot it a bunch and dry fire a bunch to help smooth the trigger. You'll most likely see it improve.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    All good advice. What you are experiencing is common with these small pistols. As mentioned above, give your Elsie a good cleaning and while you have it torn down it is a VERY good idea to polish the feed ramp which will make chambering a round much smoother from the beginning (the Ruger LCP forum gives detailed instructions on how to perform this easy procedure).

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    When I first had my LCP, I had a feeding problem too. I quickly figured out that I wasn't letting go of the slide cleanly and was accidentally riding it back up. After I remedied that behavior, it hasn't caused me any grief.

rtfisher1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Anderson
    Clean it, run a box of fmj through it, and in a week you'll be back here telling us how much you love the little guy! The LCP's are sweet! About 300 rds through mine with zero malfunctions.

mrfjones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Chico
    The other problem could be with the magazine. Have you tried the same test with out the grease and also with fmj. If the mag doesn't sit right it will not feed but witha tap on the bottom of the mag.

I also had a 1911 that took a good bit of break in to load jhp.

zibby43

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Thanks for all of the responses and information guys. I truly appreciate it. I will follow your suggestions, head out to the range today, and report back my results.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I have an LCP w Crimson Trace and it has ran flawlessly. Sounds like the packing grease was causing you problems. You really need to break these pistols in, 300 rds at least.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    It's been said a half dozen times. Clean it. Break it in.

I can't possibly imagine taking a brand new gun, especially a .380, and loading up a mag of high dollar hollowpoints and expecting it to function in any way.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom