• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    One of my woods guns is a stoeger branded uberti cattleman but lately it's been giving me problems. The other cattlemans I've had were smooth as glass however this one is starting to lock up pretty bad. If I go to cock the hammer slowly it locks up before the first click the hammer won't go down or further back without using the weight of the gun to flick it downward to finish cocking it. Anyone know what might be causing this and what to look for when I take it apart?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One of my woods guns is a stoeger branded uberti cattleman but lately it's been giving me problems. The other cattlemans I've had were smooth as glass however this one is starting to lock up pretty bad. If I go to cock the hammer slowly it locks up before the first click the hammer won't go down or further back without using the weight of the gun to flick it downward to finish cocking it. Anyone know what might be causing this and what to look for when I take it apart?

Is the cylinder turning at all while the gun is being cocked?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Have you disassembled it to look for debris or broken components? They're really simple.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I have had a uberti cattleman in the past. I was told it was a near copy of the old Colt. Numrich Arms should have any parts you need...and a good exploded view...

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I forgot I posted this.
    Contact the manufacturer and they should offer to repair
    Previous owner had it slicked up at some point so uberti would charge and it's not that important of a project right now.
    Is the cylinder turning at all while the gun is being cocked?
    It is turning and if I flick the gun down and use its weight to cock it it will rotate and lock on the next chamber.
    Have you disassembled it to look for debris or broken components? They're really simple.
    I took it apart when I first noticed it and there was no debris or burrs that I could see.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    When the cylinder turns when it is pointed down but intermittently in other positions the problem is with the hand spring usually. It is what forces the hand against the ratchet on the back of the cylinder. A common problem with a lot of single actions. When you take the cylinder out of the gun look in the slot where the hand protrudes and push on it. There should be steady spring pressure. Tip the gun straight up and look again, if you don't see it, the spring is broken and you will have to completely disassemble the gun and replace it.

I'm pretty sure VTI gun parts sells a complete hand and spring assembly which is easier than trying to fit a new spring. The hand spring can get stuck in the slot and jam the mechanism as well.

Top Bottom